Fighting Games Discussion

I hope Zangief is the next champ shown off

There's a good chance I might learn a pocket grappler this go around. One of the archetypes I'm sorely lacking in.

Anyone thinking of getting a HitBox? I'm really considering it.

There's a good chance I might learn a pocket grappler this go around. One of the archetypes I'm sorely lacking in.

Anyone thinking of getting a HitBox? I'm really considering it.

Do you think that the Zangief/Hugo types would be best or would you prefer the faster ones like Mika/Laura?

Do you think that the Zangief/Hugo types would be best or would you prefer the faster ones like Mika/Laura?

I've been thinking about that. I generally like more rush down characters but I've always liked the slow menacing archetype. I think it'll be a battle between Gief, Mimi and Lily. The big boys might be a little slow for my playstyle.

SO the last Tekken game to do anything different was Tekken 4.

WTF Namco

Idk man - Tekken 5 introduced the crush system, character customization, the ranking system, it also had the Devil Within mode (spiritual successor to Tekken Force). Tekken 6 brought in the rage system and the bound system, the latter of which completely changed the effectiveness of low parries as a strategy, as well as stage gimmicks like destructable floors and walls to extend the arena. Tekken 7 introduced many changes, with power crush moves being invulnerable to mid & high attacks, the expansion of the rage system with rage arts and rage drives, the screw system being introduced and working in conjunction with the bound system to help with balance and making for interesting combo extensions, even more expanded stage gimmicks and new wall bounce and bound mechanics to add more depth to the strategy of each stage, animation changes (like new wakeups from a back roll, certain low kicks having major frame data and animation changes, back stepping going back to how it was in Tekken Revolution, etc.), item moves from custom outfits, integrating characters from other franchises into the Tekken combat system, as well as adding the Tekken Bowl game mode.

Tekken is a legacy game, it's not like Street Fighter where they try to really shake up the gameplay for each major title. If you were a hardcore Tekken 3 player and picked up Tekken 7, the majority of the combos you had memorized will still work and the new mechanics will feel more natural to learn because you still have your knowledge base to go off of. I've been a Hwoarang main for almost 20 years now and it feels nice to be able to jump into any Tekken title and be able to play with a degree of familiarity, while still learning the quirks of that particular game. Whenever I do the same with SF, I find myself having to engage with a much different meta from game to game. It's not really 'I am good at Street Fighter' but more of 'I am good at Street Fighter [insert digit and edition]'. At least, that's my personal experience. I prefer Tekken's approach I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I would say really SF 4, 5 and 6 all look pretty similar to me in their mechanics but really your dealing with a franchise that died for a decade and was revived with a very different style to it, much less focused on neutral play.

I would say really SF 4, 5 and 6 all look pretty similar to me in their mechanics but really your dealing with a franchise that died for a decade and was revived with a very different style to it, much less focused on neutral play.

The neutral play was very bad in sfv but viable in sf4 and looks strong in sf6 too. I think sf6 is turning out better than I expected, main thing I hope for now is good damage and walkspeed.

The neutral play was very bad in sfv but viable in sf4 and looks strong in sf6 too. I think sf6 is turning out better than I expected, main thing I hope for now is good damage and walkspeed.

Yea, SF4 and SF5 played very different IMO. SF5 was 50/50 rush down with a heavy comeback mechanic in the V-system. SF4 had some rush down but the footsies seemed stronger and vortexes got patched out. SF6 looks to go back to a more footsie based game with an equal mechanic across the board.

Yea, SF4 and SF5 played very different IMO. SF5 was 50/50 rush down with a heavy comeback mechanic in the V-system. SF4 had some rush down but the footsies seemed stronger and vortexes got patched out. SF6 looks to go back to a more footsie based game with an equal mechanic across the board.

For me sf4 versions pre USF4 were better I played Akuma so I had fun with the vortex but It wasn't as strong and braindead as 50/50 shimmy in sf5 plus you kinda had to earn it through neutral play but sf5 was different shit walkspeed Superfast dash speed and shit normal range meant that the neutral was ass.

For me sf4 versions pre USF4 were better I played Akuma so I had fun with the vortex but It wasn't as strong and braindead as 50/50 shimmy in sf5 plus you kinda had to earn it through neutral play but sf5 was different shit walkspeed Superfast dash speed and shit normal range meant that the neutral was ass.

There's pros and cons for each. SFV gets the most because of the 50/50 rush-down and somewhat unbalanced gameplay. I think the V-System is awesome on paper, but in practice, it just didn't play out as well as they thought it should have. We haven't even gotten SFVI and I'm already wondering what they can add to the mechanic system in S2 or S3.

Street Fighter 6 Closed beta for PC has been cracked!
birdman-rapper-rubbing-hands.gif

So for all of those who Capcom deemed not worthy to get an invite, you can mess around in training or fight the CPU to practice combos! It's slightly laggy on my crap PC but they keep releasing better patches. Not posting links but it's out there for the brave.

Akuma was still broken in ultra, you still had vortex options for delay wake up. Sf4 had much better neutral for sure. 5 just rewarded guessing. Like half of the cast was just guessing their brains out. V trigger is basically a + on block guess starter whenever you want. That’s one of the reasons why those who had better v trigger mechanics tended to be higher tier. You just continued poor aggression.

Street Fighter 6 Closed beta for PC has been cracked!
birdman-rapper-rubbing-hands.gif

So for all of those who Capcom deemed not worthy to get an invite, you can mess around in training or fight the CPU to practice combos! It's slightly laggy on my crap PC but they keep releasing better patches. Not posting links but it's out there for the brave.

I tried it a while back and it ran pretty good on my laptop. I liked what little I played.

Back