Crime Fired CBS journalist Catherine Herridge who dug up dirt on Hunter Biden says she's facing 'crippling' $800 per DAY fines for protecting source

White Whale

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Fired CBS journalist Catherine Herridge who dug up dirt on Hunter Biden says she's facing 'crippling' $800 per DAY fines for protecting source amid legal battle​

Despite being ordered to pay 'crippling' fines of $800 per day a former investigative reporter said that she would still not reveal the confidential sources behind her reporting.

Catherine Herridge is an award-winning journalist who served as an investigative reporter for CBS News from 2019 to 2024 and before then at Fox News from 1996 to 2019.

She is known for her reporting on Hunter Biden's infamous laptop and for her February termination from CBS News that resulted in hundreds of her files being seized and her getting locked out of her office.

On Thursday, Herridge testified before the House Judiciary Committee about the personal costs she has shouldered to protect her sources and advocated for the PRESS Act, which aims to protect journalists from revealing their sources.

'The fact that I have been fighting in the courts for two years and that I am now facing potentially crippling fines of $800 a day to protect my reporting sources underscores the vital importance of the Press Act,' she said.

'When you go through major life events as I have in recent weeks, losing your job, losing your company health insurance, having your reporting and files seized by your former employer, and being held in contempt of court gives you clarity.'

'The First Amendment with the protection of confidential sources and a free press are my guiding principles. They are my North Star.'

Herridge's testimony comes as she is currently embroiled in a high-profile First Amendment legal battle.

At the end of February, a federal judge held Herridge in civil contempt for refusing to reveal her source for an investigative series she did in 2017 for Fox News about a Chinese scientist who was investigated by the FBI.

That individual, Yanping Chen, was never charged by the bureau.

In 2018, Chen later sued the FBI and Department of Justice over the leak, alleging the government had violated the Privacy Act, which bars the public disclosure of private information about U.S. citizens without first receiving their consent.

As a result, a federal judge later ordered Herridge to reveal the identity of the source behind the hearings.

That judge ordered Herridge pay $800 a day until she unmasks her source.

This is pretty insane they want her to reveal her sources so they are giving her $800 fines every day.

I want to people to explain how this isn't coercion and what are they going to do to her source?

It is frightening what is going on.

I have wondered why would a serious investigative reporter go to work for CBS news. From what I've read over the years CBS has a well known history of retaliation against journalists. I would think by now CBS would be a place to avoid if you hope to report serious news.

I have wondered why would a serious investigative reporter go to work for CBS news. From what I've read over the years CBS has a well known history of retaliation against journalists. I would think by now CBS would be a place to avoid if you hope to report serious news.

100% - The entire MSM is lost and that includes NPR and PBS. They are filled with Democratic Operatives that will destroy a person and/or story if it goes against the Left Cult view.

The future Prime Minister of Canada had some rather biting criticism for his future predecessor, that I believe applies to the modern left in general:

"The problem with Justin Trudeau isn't that he's liberal. It's that he's highly illiberal."

I think people are coming around to that notion with the modern militant left.

Fired CBS journalist Catherine Herridge who dug up dirt on Hunter Biden says she's facing 'crippling' $800 per DAY fines for protecting source amid legal battle​

Despite being ordered to pay 'crippling' fines of $800 per day a former investigative reporter said that she would still not reveal the confidential sources behind her reporting.

Catherine Herridge is an award-winning journalist who served as an investigative reporter for CBS News from 2019 to 2024 and before then at Fox News from 1996 to 2019.

She is known for her reporting on Hunter Biden's infamous laptop and for her February termination from CBS News that resulted in hundreds of her files being seized and her getting locked out of her office.

On Thursday, Herridge testified before the House Judiciary Committee about the personal costs she has shouldered to protect her sources and advocated for the PRESS Act, which aims to protect journalists from revealing their sources.

'The fact that I have been fighting in the courts for two years and that I am now facing potentially crippling fines of $800 a day to protect my reporting sources underscores the vital importance of the Press Act,' she said.

'When you go through major life events as I have in recent weeks, losing your job, losing your company health insurance, having your reporting and files seized by your former employer, and being held in contempt of court gives you clarity.'

'The First Amendment with the protection of confidential sources and a free press are my guiding principles. They are my North Star.'

Herridge's testimony comes as she is currently embroiled in a high-profile First Amendment legal battle.

At the end of February, a federal judge held Herridge in civil contempt for refusing to reveal her source for an investigative series she did in 2017 for Fox News about a Chinese scientist who was investigated by the FBI.

In 2018, Chen later sued the FBI and Department of Justice over the leak, alleging the government had violated the Privacy Act, which bars the public disclosure of private information about U.S. citizens without first receiving their consent.

As a result, a federal judge later ordered Herridge to reveal the identity of the source behind the hearings.

This is pretty insane they want her to reveal her sources so they are giving her $800 fines every day.

I want to people to explain how this isn't coercion and what are they going to do to her source?

I think this is short-sighted bullshit.

Herridge should be allowed to refuse to name her source.

I'm wondering why the US authorities are so scared of someone suing them?

I'm fully behind Herridge here, fuck Yanping Chen. Fuck brute force bullyboy tactics against the media. Shame on the US for tolerating this.

I think this is short-sighted bullshit.

Herridge should be allowed to refuse to name her source.

I'm wondering why the US authorities are so scared of someone suing them?

I'm fully behind Herridge here, fuck Yanping Chen. Fuck brute force bullyboy tactics against the media. Shame on the US for tolerating this.
It's a complicated situation, especially if Chen got doxxed by an FBI agent.

I think in terms of a free media it's not a complicated issue.

That's my primary concern.

CBS seized her confidential source material for a good period of time. Who trusts that they did not ship it right to the FBI? Bueller? Bueller?

iu

It was likely the FBI that fired her. Establishment D.C. and the MSM are incestuous.

It’s a tricky one. Journalists should be able to protect genuine sources on matters of genuine public interest. But you also can’t have government agencies like the FBI leaking citizen’s private information to the press.

Someone leaked private information to Fox News, about an FBI investigation that went nowhere. Isn’t that deep state-ish?

Source is dailymail.co.uk

The jokes write themselves folks...

The Federal Government has been continuously eroding civil liberties since 9/11...

In the name of National Security.

The Chinese Scientist should sue the FBI. It's their issue.

These agencies have been leaky faucets for a long time now. Even the Supreme Court had a leak in the Roe vs Wade cast.

The Federal Government would like nothing better to go after journalists and plug the leaks. If people are worried that they'll get outed by a journalist spilling the beans, the sources could dry up.

This case may set a precedence in either direction.

Do you get tired from all these Hunter Biden "bombshells" fizzling out into nothing?
You'd think after the 20th flop you'd move on, but here you are posting another nothingburger

Back