For grappling endurance, can you just do kettlebells and call it quits?

Most HR monitors the days have longer range than that and can hook up to your phone. That's what most people seem to do. That way you can sit it nearby with your gear and it should send data. Just need to make sure you hit start.

I will see if I can find it, but recently someone ran a test and the 180-age came out within 5 bpm of most peoples Max HR from more scientific testing. It's not a perfect test, but is within a couple BPM (from memory 5-10) of running a whole battery of tests required to actually get your Max HR. That's good enough for me and I would rather go on the easier side than the harder side in terms of managing HR and run volume.I also use a training max as opposed to an actual max for my lifting percentage based training blocks. All my lifts are calculated off an approximate 90% of my actual tested 1RM at the time.

I don't agree with the go hard and go home approach. I think we only have so many hard training sessions and competition level perfromances in us. I still train hard but only for a specific event I need to peak for.

Most of my training is about just staying consistent and very gradually building that base up. It takes longer but I have found I can maintain my lifting numbers and run times with minimal hard training sessions these days.

I won't be breaking any records, but would rather go hard in competition or for a specific event. I defintely need a dedicated block just to get used to that intensity though prior to being able to perfrom at that level.

Shit I need to try that at BJJ this week - just put on my arm band and HR signal was still tracking with the watch across the room.

To be clear, I'm agreeing with you that go hard or go home isn't always the best approach and I've learned that from trial and error. Out of necessity, I've been progressively lowering my workout intensity since late 30's because my body simply can't recover fast enough if I do otherwise. In some ways I'm glad I trained the way I did when younger because it built a decent cardio and strength base that I've maintained + mental and physical toughness. In general I tried to peak for competitions but yeah, I probably should have eased off more during off seasons.

But I'm training with an over 40 mindset now and I get most of my cardio training from BJJ. And I'd wager my HR during warm ups and rolls are pretty close to the 130's and 140's that you're talking about. I lift hilariously light compared to my 20's and 30's and only run maybe once/month now to gauge where I'm at relative to race shape.

Last edited:
Shit I need to try that at BJJ this week - just put on my arm band and HR signal was still tracking with the watch across the room.

To be clear, I'm agreeing with you that go hard or go home isn't always the best approach and I've learned that from trial and error. Out of necessity, I've been progressively lowering my workout intensity since late 30's because my body simply can't recover fast enough if I do otherwise. In some ways I'm glad I trained the way I did when younger because it built a decent cardio and strength base that I've maintained, as well as mental and physical toughness. In general I tried to peak for competitions but yeah, I probably should have eased off more during off seasons.

But I'm training with an over 40 mindset now and I get most of my cardio training from BJJ. And I'd wager my HR during warm ups and rolls are pretty close to the 130's and 140's that you're talking about. I lift hilariously light compared to my 20's and 30's and only run maybe once/month now to gauge where I'm at relative to race shape.

See this entire thread was worthwhile simply for the HR strap option. Let me know how it goes because I am going to pull the trigger on one soon.

I am in the same boat but under 40 still. I only lift 2x a week these days and run on those same days or in the AM on a PM skill session day. The run has to be less intense just to get the sessions all in. When I was only doing 3 skills sessions a week, I had to add some interval stuff in to get that harder session in.

I am in the same boat in lifting much lighter. I use different exercises to manage the weights (Sandbag squats, Zerchers and Bulgarian squats) as opposed to back squats these days rings or kettlebells for upper body and it works pretty well.The only thing I have always kept consistent is weighted pullups or Bw pullups as my pull movement.

I go a bit crazy if I don't get atleast 1 run in a week. I usually chuck on a long form podcast and just go really easy. It's probably the only time I actually get to myself all week, so it's probably more about that these days.

See this entire thread was worthwhile simply for the HR strap option. Let me know how it goes because I am going to pull the trigger on one soon.

I am in the same boat but under 40 still. I only lift 2x a week these days and run on those same days or in the AM on a PM skill session day. The run has to be less intense just to get the sessions all in. When I was only doing 3 skills sessions a week, I had to add some interval stuff in to get that harder session in.

I am in the same boat in lifting much lighter. I use different exercises to manage the weights (Sandbag squats, Zerchers and Bulgarian squats) as opposed to back squats these days rings or kettlebells for upper body and it works pretty well.The only thing I have always kept consistent is weighted pullups or Bw pullups as my pull movement.

I go a bit crazy if I don't get atleast 1 run in a week. I usually chuck on a long form podcast and just go really easy. It's probably the only time I actually get to myself all week, so it's probably more about that these days.

Got through the entire 1.5 hour BJJ class today with the arm band on and HR data is below. Glad I tried it but the arm band was a PITA and reminded me why I don't do this regularly. I wore it under my gi sleeve and it kept shifting around and sliding down, making me have to adjust it during the roll. I'm surprised it captured this much data, but the ~5 min gap around 30 min is where it got turned off during drills (if you hold the front down for 3 seconds, it turns off). And the other blips to zero are when the sensor must have lost direct contact. It also got turned off during my last roll, cutting off the last 6 minutes.

Me: 49 yo 170 lbs purple belt. There were 12 other guys in the class ranging from 175-250 lbs.

Class went as follows: 10 min warm ups - curiously I hit my peak of 164 bpm during that - must have been from running around the mat before shrimping. Then move of the day: longstep pass and variations. Then sharktank passing: 5 guys on the mat trying to retain guard (I was one of them) for 1:30 min rounds with 30 sec rest between rounds. Fresh guys rotating in every round and we did 6 rounds. Then 6 more rounds and I'm trying to pass. That was the highest bpm for live rolling that got recorded.

I only had time for 2 x 6 min rolls after that and the first one got recorded at the end. Partner was 30 yo 220 lbs white belt w/ 1 year training. I was controlling him the entire roll mostly in mount, north south or in back mount but my grips were starting to gas out because he's fucking strong and has 50 lbs on me. Surprised my HR was only 100 to 140 bpm because I felt more tired than that.

Then my last roll was with the resident BB enforcer who is pretty much a 185 lbs jacked Chad Mendes. Arm band must have gotten turned off at the beginning of that roll just as he was starting the ass whooping. For the last 4 minutes I'm highly confident my HR was 160+ and possibly over 170 at the end. Round was very hard fought but he subbed me twice and it was a beatdown from bell to bell.

BJJ class HR.jpg

Last edited:
Got through the entire 1.5 hour BJJ class today with the arm band on and HR data is below. Glad I got the HR data but the arm band was a PITA and reminded me why I don't do this regularly. I wore the arm band under my gi sleeve and it kept shifting around and sliding down, making me have to adjust it during the roll. I'm surprised it captured this much data, but the ~5 min gap around 30 min is where it got turned off during drills (if you hold the front down for 3 seconds, it turns off). And the other blips to zero are when the sensor must have lost direct contact. It also got turned off during my last roll, cutting off the last 6 minutes.

Me: 49 yo 170 lbs purple belt. There were 12 other guys in the class ranging from 175-250 lbs.

Class went as follows: 10 min warm ups - curiously I hit my peak of 164 bpm during that - must have been from running around the mat before shrimping. Then move of the day: longstep pass and variations. Then sharktank passing: 5 guys on the mat trying to retain guard (I was one of them) for 1:30 min rounds with 30 sec rest between rounds. Fresh guys rotating in every round and we did 6 rounds. Then 6 more rounds and I'm trying to pass. That was the highest bpm for live rolling that got recorded.

I only had time for 2 x 6 min rolls after that and the first one got recorded at the end. Partner was 30 yo 220 lbs white belt w/ 1 year training. I was controlling him the entire roll mostly in mount, north south or in back mount but my grips were starting to gas out because he's fucking strong and has 50 lbs on me. Surprised my HR was only 100 to 140 bpm because I felt more tired than that.

Then my last roll was with the resident BB enforcer who is pretty much a 185 lbs jacked Chad Mendes. Arm band must have gotten turned off at the beginning of that roll just as he was starting the ass whooping. For the last 4 minutes I'm highly confident my HR was 160+ and possibly over 170 at the end. Round was very hard fought but he subbed me twice and it was a beatdown from bell to bell.

View attachment 1018346

The warmup being high to start is how it should be. Heart rate jumps up initially before returning to a normal level.
It's the biggest issue with BJJ. We get warm then stop and do technique. It kind of wastes the warmup portion of the training.

I wonder what the data would look like during a comp/rolling class only.

Damn seems like it might not have stayed connected through your training. Was this with or without a rashguard under the gi? I would assume a rashguard would keeps things tighter, same with No gi involving less upper arm gripping.

Maybe an Oura ring is the way to go, but I don't think I want to spend that much cash.

The warmup being high to start is how it should be. Heart rate jumps up initially before returning to a normal level.
It's the biggest issue with BJJ. We get warm then stop and do technique. It kind of wastes the warmup portion of the training.

I wonder what the data would look like during a comp/rolling class only.

Damn seems like it might not have stayed connected through your training. Was this with or without a rashguard under the gi? I would assume a rashguard would keeps things tighter, same with No gi involving less upper arm gripping.

Maybe an Oura ring is the way to go, but I don't think I want to spend that much cash.
Yeah definitely got disconnected several times during the class - I kept walking over to check the watch between rolls and had to turn it back on twice. Was under gi sleeve no rashguard.

If you put the arm band under your rashguard and play a leg lock game, you might be OK but I have a very wrestling based game and am always pummelling for shit with my arms so it’s a PITA for me.

But having regular HR data like this for grappling would be cool as hell - I could analyze my exertion in different positions and make refinements like tweaking my pace during a run. I’m pissed the sensor cut off my last roll with the BB - that would have been 160’s or higher for sure and probably similar to the classes where all we do is roll like 12 rounds straight.

Oura ring is probably easier to wear during grappling but it’s expensive and they charge a monthly fee now. Also metal ring could be a safety issue during grappling and data won't be as granular as a dedicated fitness tracker like Polar or Garmin.

Last edited:
@maximus__ putting my fitness in your hands, doing lower impact steady state on the bike and treadmill and Easy Strength as my resistance work. Kettlebell/club/mace/whatever will just be a bonus.

@maximus__ putting my fitness in your hands, doing lower impact steady state on the bike and treadmill and Easy Strength as my resistance work. Kettlebell/club/mace/whatever will just be a bonus.
Not the biggest fan of Easy strength, but you definitely could do worse. Give it 2-4 months and track your resting heart rate and see how much time you drop off your 30 min run without even going hard.

I am more a fan of Tactical Barbells basebuilding or Green book for this tyoe of thing.

Not the biggest fan of Easy strength, but you definitely could do worse. Give it 2-4 months and track your resting heart rate and see how much time you drop off your 30 min run without even going hard.

I am more a fan of Tactical Barbells basebuilding or Green book for this tyoe of thing.
I mean. I'm doing easy strength with 425lbs deadlifts and dips at a heavy bodyweight.

I mean. I'm doing easy strength with 425lbs deadlifts and dips at a heavy bodyweight.
As your only exercises? It was more just comment on that program to be honest.
I just don't like Easy Strength as a program. That whole book kinda sucked.

As your only exercises? It was more just comment on that program to be honest.
I just don't like Easy Strength as a program. That whole book kinda sucked.
Hinge is the deadlifts, press is the dips but I swap for KB press or bench press sometimes. Pull ups for the pull, ab wheel or hanging leg raises for the abs.

Hinge is the deadlifts, press is the dips but I swap for KB press or bench press sometimes. Pull ups for the pull, ab wheel or hanging leg raises for the abs.

Nice mate. Be good to see how you go. One great thing is you could run this training program for the rest of your life and probably be healthier and fitter than 99% of the population ithout really ever having to work too hard in either running or lifting.

Back