For once i do respect Jon Jones courage, Gane is a BAD match up for him

If Francis was able to beat Gane with wrestling, just imagine what JJ will do to him. Jones will take Gane down & win by tko due to elbow stikes round 2
There is zero percent chance that happens.

I am not totally sure how good Gane really is. There is no shame to lose against Ngannou, even on the ground. Francis evolved to a beast everywhere, we can ask Stipe about that.

But Tai Tuivasa gave Gane a lot of trouble in Paris... thats where my concerns are coming from. But we will see.

There are a few things that make me think it's going to be a hard fight for Jones.

- Going up a class is never an easy thing to do. Especially if it's not your natural weight class. Whittaker or Rumble may have had success in this kind of transition, but Jones is definitely not a natural HW.

- It's going to be hard to take Gane down. First, because he's heavier than most of the LHW Jones had to deal, and then because Gane is light on his feet, coming in and out like a lighter guy.

- Jones is going to feel a real HW power and even though Gane is not particularly known for his knockout power, it's going to be new for him. We also have very few examples of successful LHW at HW (except in Pride, with the right "supplements")

- Jones has not been impressive in a long time. He struggled against Anthony Smith, Thiago Santos, and Dominic Reyes. Hell even Ovince St Preux gave him a fight.

So since when do you think he's the heavy favorite against one of the top dogs at HW ?
Gane it probably the easy fight in the top 5 for Jones!!! Wtf are you talking about, this on isn't going out the first round.

There are a few things that make me think it's going to be a hard fight for Jones.

- Going up a class is never an easy thing to do. Especially if it's not your natural weight class. Whittaker or Rumble may have had success in this kind of transition, but Jones is definitely not a natural HW.

- It's going to be hard to take Gane down. First, because he's heavier than most of the LHW Jones had to deal, and then because Gane is light on his feet, coming in and out like a lighter guy.

- Jones is going to feel a real HW power and even though Gane is not particularly known for his knockout power, it's going to be new for him. We also have very few examples of successful LHW at HW (except in Pride, with the right "supplements")

- Jones has not been impressive in a long time. He struggled against Anthony Smith, Thiago Santos, and Dominic Reyes. Hell even Ovince St Preux gave him a fight.

So since when do you think he's the heavy favorite against one of the top dogs at HW ?
All good points. Jones is 3 years older and has more wear and tear on him too. Those straight kicks he's used over the years to stop forward progress of Machida, Belfort, etc.., are not going to stop Gane. Gane displayed some trepidation with Francis for obvious reasons. Francis can knock your block off with one shot. I see no way for Jones winning, other than jab and run the whole fight.

It was less than 1 year ago Ngannou exploited Gane's pathetic weakness of TDD. This is why JJ jumped up took the Gane fight in the snap of a finger. Looking at Ngannou he had excellent TDD as seen in the 2nd Stipe fight the reason why JJ refused to sign to fight.

Watch Ngannou vs Gane fight it was less than 1 year ago. Ngannou even with 2 knees that were shot to shit took Gane down with such ease it was shocking to watch just how easy it was.

It takes years of training to become at least good at TDD and its been less than 1 year since Ngannou fought Gane and exposed his weakness with TDD. As soon as JJ caught wind of Francis no longer being in the UFC he signs immediately to fight Gane. Since Francis exposed this massive hole in Gane's TDD JJ knows it's impossible to learn and be very sufficient in TDD against a wrestler (JJ) in just over 1 year time period. Thats why I believe JJ will defeat Gane when they meet.

If Francis was able to beat Gane with wrestling, just imagine what JJ will do to him. Jones will take Gane down & win by tko due to elbow stikes round 2

I think thats a legit possibility the thing is how much will these factors have an effect:

-Gane will know hes fighting a wrestler and will probably further brush up his grappling after the ngannou loss

-Jones didnt do what you mentioned to Anthony Smith, Santos or Reyes

-We dont know what Jones moves like at HW and its been years since he has fought

-Its been 2 years since Jones has fought and 4 years since he looked dominant against anyone

I’m not sure who is going to win, since nobody knows what Jon looks like right now. But the idea that a fighter with questionable TDD and average power is a “bad matchup” is laughable.

I love how people are arguing that Gane will stop takedowns this time just because he knows they’re coming hahaha as if it’s that easy.

Gane is much easier than Ngannou. Doesn't hit nearly as hard as some of the other top HWs and has 0 ground game... This is exactly the scenario Jones was hoping for.

Francis Ngannou took him down, got to think JJ will be able to

Gane doesn’t have big power for a HW

It’s about as good a title fight opponent as JJ could hope for at HW

Except it's been a year and Gane probably realized he had to work on his wrestling. For all we know he's vastly improved his TDD in the past year.

Things change.

Francis Ngannou took him down, got to think JJ will be able to

Gane doesn’t have big power for a HW

It’s about as good a title fight opponent as JJ could hope for at HW

I agree with you this is the best easily winnable fight Jon Jones can ask for.

Ngannou had 2 wrecked knees yet took Gane down with such ease. Ngannou only started training wrsetling and TDD when he lost to Stipe in their first fight. It took Ngannou 4 years to learn enough wrestling and TDD to defeat the man that exposed his weakness. Clearly Gane had 0 wrestling and TDD history less than a year ago while Jon Jones has been wrestling since high school. I'm sorry someone with 0 wrestling and TDD can't learn enough TDD in just over 1 year against a guy thats been competing in high level wrestling since his teenage years.

This fight can be promoted whatever way the UFC wants but trying to convince people in the know that Gane will be able to stop Jon Jones TD's will be like convincing people the Tooth Fairy is real.

Lol yeah I might regret that one. I've been wrong before and will be again. I hope you're right. I am not fan of Jones and Gane has made me a fan of his. I just don't see it happening. Please do @ me if/when I'm wrong!

Ahah yeah and please do if i'm wrong, i'll be there to take my loss. I have been wrong before as well.

Lol listen, Gane's extremely talented and tough and can certainly beat Jones (who looked like trash his final 3 defenses)
But courage? He was supposed to fight Ngannou, it got put off forever, and now he fights Gane.
Standing up he is still probably losing that fight, but without the immediate concern of getting 1 punch blasted into orbit.
Grappling is what we all expected out of his move to HW, and he's gonna go try and grapple fuck the guy who got grapple fucked by the guy he was planning to grapple fuck.. So in that sense this is a much much better matchup for him. Doesn't mean its good, but it's great in comparison.

Do you think an older guy who hasn't shown much of his wrestling in a while will be able to wrestle fuck a natural HW ? It's optimistic

People still think that Jones is the same guy who blitzed chubby MWs back in the day. He is going to look bad in this fight.

I dont really have a preference who wins but I favor Gane. A lot of factors with Jones. Will being off the gas hurt him? Will the ring rust play a factor? Is his wrestling still elite? Or he could look better and well rested after this long of an absence. It's been so long since we have seen him

People still think that Jones is the same guy who blitzed chubby MWs back in the day. He is going to look bad in this fight.

For the sake of the sport, lets hope so.

Bones is still amongst my favored fighters stable (well temp out to pasture lol) and getting the chance for possibly 8 more fights? Fekk yea! However, I remain very tentative where Jon factors are concerned obviously.

Win or lose (hoping the first), I will be pleased if it's a solid scrap. Much hespect to Gane as well, whom I also enjoy.

<JonesLaugh>

Did Jones go D1 on Reyes, Smith, Santos ? No. It's going to be a stand up war.
Jones hasn't gone D1 on anyone since the shell of Gustafsson stepped in the cage. Since then Gustafsson has looked like the worst fighter in the division. Jones is in way over his head imo. I've said it before, but just imagine what Gane would have done to Reyes, one legged Santos, Smith, and a one arm Ovince Saint Preux.

Last edited:
Courage??? This is a money grab. For that kind of money most all of us would fight Gane. C'mon son.

It's the first time I don't have any confidence in Jones. He has looked slow and unable to impose his wrestling for a long time, hasn't fought in ages, his standup attributes may get completely negated by Gane's skill and size, and his sinuses and kidneys have no doubt been working overtime during all that time off, increasing his already long physical mileage.

If he pulls this off it would be a huge legacy moment. But I just vividly picture Buffer announcing Gane as the winner and Jon retiring.

Ngannou wrestled him. Jones will tko him with ground and pound round 1. Big hype coming.

Back