Media For those who think Prochazka vs Pereira was stopped early

Yeah he was out for like .5 seconds. Let them bang bro, lot of fighters have recovered from being flash KOed before.
100% this is like the early Fedor stoppage against Henderson - Marc is trying to be the next Herb Dean - this guy ruins main events.

It looked a lot worse than it actually was. I'm fine with people still thinking it was early. But there's definitely a reason he went from in on a double leg in on the hips to just falling to his back directly into mount. You don't give up position that severely if you're still there. But on the flip side of the coin it was stopped before he even had an attempt to tie up alex on the ground, or to try and hip escape to get guard back. Given it was a title fight and Jiri being a very experienced fighter and former champion would have been nice to see him given the chance to get out of that position he had just gotten into. But is what it is.
He was doing a bolo roll to take Alex's back - thats what was next, or he would have gone for a heel hook - Alex is weak from full mount and would have gotten reversed easily.

The stoppage was super early, Goddard didn't even wait for Alex to establish a control position on the ground. There's no way to tell if Jiri wasn't simply moving to his back to try to take guard. Goddard intervened there like he had a wager to protect on rd 2 KO (and rd 2 was almost over.) You can see there they both weren't even in control as they fell into this position. Alex wasn't even in control on top yet and Jiri wasn't even taking shots as his head was too far under Alex. IMO Goddard is a shady character.

upload_2023-11-12_7-1-10-png.1011291
Godard trains at Gracie Barra so is only used to seeing Gi jiu-jitsu, had no idea of the position so stopped it just in case. He is a liability and lost the UFC millions of dollars here.

People defending the stoppage are literally watching the wrong sport.
How you can defend such an egregiously early stoppage is beyond me - NONE of you watched Borshchev vs Sadykhov on the prelims? NONE of you ever watched Elkins vs Bektic, Kongo vs Barry or whatever?
Not even saying Jiri would've won or anything, but the fight didn't play out. Simple as that. Nobody ever stopped defending or improving position.

I had no favorite in this fight, I didnt care at all who wins - but the stoppage is not defendable. I didn't even read your post or watch the stupid video because it simply isn't.
Jiri is just too much of a class act to complain, but anyone who has watched this sport for a while knows this was early, very early for a title fight.
You don't know the definition of going limp. Watch the sequence again. He eats the elbows, loosens his grip due to the obvious brain trauma, then closes his grip again all in like 1 second. That is not "going limp", sorry.
You are an actual dumbfuck.
His wrists go limp. When your wrists lose rigidity and fall forward and down in the middle of a fist fight, you are unconscious. I am surprised you do not know this, since you seem as though you are a storied expert in terrible head trauma.
giphy.gif

Who cares if he went limp for a split second? Look, Alex won and he won legitimately. I’m not taking anything away from that, but why is everyone trying to deny that the stoppage was quick and anticlimactic?

I think Pereria was likely to put him out completely in that sequence but Jiri was almost immediately attempting to scramble after falling backwards and he had no trouble getting back up to his feet when the fight was stopped.

What’s so wrong about understanding that it was both a legit win for Alex AND a lame stoppage? Let him bounce his head once or twice to make sure. ‍♂️

it wasn’t a lame stoppage. Jiri went out twice. First, from the left hook, you can see his eyes roll back. 2nd, when he fell back and arms go limp. He woke up when his head hit the ground. Goddard was all over that. Good stoppage.

100% this is like the early Fedor stoppage against Henderson - Marc is trying to be the next Herb Dean - this guy ruins main events.

Fedor was finished. Only reason there's any "controversy" around that is because of how popular Fedor is. He looked like a puppet whose strings got cut and flopped his head and face right on the floor.

When the reff enabled him to return to his feet there's a little-seen camera angle of his bambi legs barely able to hold himself upright. Dan Henderson simulated his death.

it wasn’t a lame stoppage. Jiri went out twice. First, from the left hook, you can see his eyes roll back. 2nd, when he fell back and arms go limp. He woke up when his head hit the ground. Goddard was all over that. Good stoppage.
Ok. You’re obviously entitled to your opinion that you share with maybe 3 other people. The vast majority would prefer to see a clean finish. I’m not gonna try and change your preference of enjoying questionable stoppages. Lol so weird

Ok. You’re obviously entitled to your opinion that you share with maybe 3 other people. The vast majority would prefer to see a clean finish. I’m not gonna try and change your preference of enjoying questionable stoppages. Lol so weird

We get it.

You’re a proud member of the Just Bleed nation.
<{JustBleed}>

Kudos to you.​

Jiri goes limp, yet before he even falls backwards his arms are already back up and grabbing at Alex's legs. People act like Jiri was completely unconscious getting blasted with shots, he was KO'ed for a split second and then came back. Sure the fight might have ended the same but it's still a shitty stoppage.

I don’t think it’s about enjoying the quicker stoppage, it’s about recognizing that nothing in the rules entitles a fighter (or us as viewers) to have a match continue until he is completely unconscious and his chances of winning are 0.0%. Jiri got concussed, stopped defending himself, and the fight was stopped. That’s how it works. Sure, a bunch of unanswered punches from mount to put him completely out (or an improbable comeback by Jiri) would be more entertaining and satisfying for the viewer, but some posters are acting like they’ve been cheated of what’s owed to them.

He slumped. He may have recovered fast but the stoppage was fine in the moment.

I honestly thought the ref was stepping in because he thought the elbows were to the back of the head. At least at first glance that’s what it looked like.

His hands appear limp and he continues to fall backwards- FACT
He said he Was Out - FACT , Why would he lie? Because he's honourable? Lying isn't honourable or useful.
Marc is closer to the action and has many years of experience on using his expert judgement to decide matters - FACT

I have not seen any argument in any thread that disputes any of this. Yes fighters have been out cold and have come back from it, that unfortunately for some isn't how the Referees are trained to conduct Refereeing.

How anyone can fault Marc on this is outrageous to me, even if you are deluded enough to still think he wasn't unconscious.

Here's a podcast made years ago which explains very well Goddard's approach to refereeing and stopping fights.

Conversation on this starts properly about 5:30 in.

How you can defend such an egregiously early stoppage is beyond me - NONE of you watched Borshchev vs Sadykhov on the prelims? NONE of you ever watched Elkins vs Bektic, Kongo vs Barry or whatever?
Not even saying Jiri would've won or anything, but the fight didn't play out. Simple as that. Nobody ever stopped defending or improving position.

I had no favorite in this fight, I didnt care at all who wins - but the stoppage is not defendable. I didn't even read your post or watch the stupid video because it simply isn't.
Jiri is just too much of a class act to complain, but anyone who has watched this sport for a while knows this was early, very early for a title fight.

Just because people have recovered before doesn’t mean the stoppage was early. He got dropped, got back up, and then took 10-12 hammer fists and elbows straight to the temple during which time he went limp, and never offered anything resembling intelligent defense. The stoppage was fine.

Additionally Goddard had a great close up view and must've seen Jiri's face and eyes roll back or something that made him stop the fight. Id be interested in his interview on the stoppage.
They really do need ref & judge interviews post fights especially when they’re controversial like this bout, imo it wasn’t even controversial just a little early.

I can't speak to the others, but Kongo vs Barry is absolutely an example of a fight that easily could have been stopped without complaint. We remember it with wonder because of the remarkable comeback after it wasn't stopped, but Mirgliotta probably should have stepped in.

The stoppage was super early, Goddard didn't even wait for Alex to establish a control position on the ground. There's no way to tell if Jiri wasn't simply moving to his back to try to take guard. Goddard intervened there like he had a wager to protect on rd 2 KO (and rd 2 was almost over.) You can see there they both weren't even in control as they fell into this position. Alex wasn't even in control on top yet and Jiri wasn't even taking shots as his head was too far under Alex. IMO Goddard is a shady character.

upload_2023-11-12_7-1-10-png.1011291

You're really reaching here. No one pulls guard by collapsing and letting the other guy land in full mount on top of them. Plus, when has anyone ever been required to "establish a control position" for a knockout to count? If the guy is out, the guy is out - end of story and end of fight.

A little long winded but reasonable description of the end of the fight. Start at about 5:20.
Summary: Jiri's hands drop and go limp - hard to see if you only watch live. Yea, I know Jiri said he was out, still seeing a bunch of folks thinking it was an early stoppage.

It was an early stoppage. The fight was effectively stopped in the mounted position. There is no harm in telling a fighter to fight back and allowing him the opportunity to tie up and recover there or take some ground and pound. We literally saw the same ref allow a fighter to sit there for 25 mins recently and threaten to stand that position up 2 weeks ago. Goddard didn't think Jiri was out, he just had PTSD from the Lewis vs Almeida fight.

Goddard is terrible as a ref especially in title fights. He is so quick on the stoppage and regularly becomes involved when he isn't needed.

Back