Francis Ngannou destroys any version of Fedor, and this is coming from a Fedor fan.

I was having this debate with someone over at r/MMA, we were talking about who the greatest HW was. He said it was Fedor because of his resume, whereas I said it would have to be Ngannou because he would be favored H2H against any HW in history. I understand how amazing Fedor was in his day and I'll never forget the butterflies and goosebumps I felt when he finally face off against Mirko and how I walked away from that fight feeling like Fedor was the closest thing to a God-like fighter I've seen. But time goes on and you grow up and you figure out how the world really works. Now I can take my rose colored glasses off and see things for what they are: Francis beats any version of Fedor and he does it within a round. Replace Mirko with Ngannou on that night and Fedir gets carried off on a stretcher. There's not a person on this forum who can say with a straight face Fedor beats Francis H2H and that's why Francis is the greatest HW ever for me. Resumes are only relevant when the guys are so close that you need something to separate them. With Fedor and Francis it's clear who the better fighter is so the resumes are irrelevant.
Fedors too hittable and reckless to survive against someone like Francis.

Who knows, they'll never fight each other anyway.

Fedor never fought someone who hits as hard as Francis, and Francis never fought someone who is as skilled as Fedor. Pointless debate.

Stipe and Cain were more skilled than Fedor. JDS, though past prime and not as well rounded, certainly was better as well.
Overeem was far more skilled than Fedor as well.

Definitely. Very bad matchup for Fedor. Frank the Tank is the much bigger man and his TD defence would hold up.

Even though prime Fedor had speed, power, good chin + great resiliency, his defence wasn't amazing and he would find himself in a firefight with an insurmountable chin + power disadvantage.

Prime Frank isn't unbeatable, as Gane proved, but prime Fedor is not the man to do it.
Fedor did not have a "good chin". Any time he got hit clean he did the chicken dance or got decked. He had heart to continue, but a below average chin. Extremely weak facial tissue as well.

Ngannou turns his skull into mush.

Stipe and Cain were more skilled than Fedor. JDS, though past prime and not as well rounded, certainly was better as well.
Overeem was far more skilled than Fedor as well.
How may submissions did Cain & Stipe have with their well rounded submission game? 0 for both. Fedor had 10 submission victories and 15 victories via KO/TKO if i am not mistaken. More skilled… well rounded… lol

Hard to argue with this when a close to prime Fedor aged 34 got KTFO by a 40 Yr old LHW
As Khabib would say, "this is #1 bullshit". Fedor was visibly WAY less jacked than in his prime. He also had an aura of not really caring. He had made a lot of and was still making a lot of money. The original hunger and drive was gone.

Francis is too big and has enough skill. Fedor at his best is around 235 and he is 5'11.

Francis isn't going to get arm barred. He knows enough to get out of those subs. Fedor also uses upper body entries to try to take people down. I don't think Francis can be taken down like that. Francis also has a decent chin. Fedor's only chance is a choke off a blitz when Francis gets tired. I don't see that happening though. I don't think Fedor can survive that long.

Fedor did not have a "good chin". Any time he got hit clean he did the chicken dance or got decked. He had heart to continue, but a below average chin. Extremely weak facial tissue as well.

it's amazing how the no-skill no-chin weakling managed to go so many years undefeated against elite fighters, huh?

Imagine Ngannou in Pride all juiced up. That's a scary thought. I think he would be unstoppable.

The game evolved a lot. From the size of fighters in each division to new techniques and gameplans implemented. Fedor reached the top when Hughes was the top 170er and Gomi was the top 155er. Almost everyone was one dimensional. Nobody even considers comparing them to Edwards and Islam on a "H2H". That pretty much shows why Fedor is trully one of the GOATs. Only he from that era gets unfairly targeted in this "comparisons".

I mean just compare a Pride or UFC event from 2003 to an event from LFA from 2023. Even bad fighters look so much better. They are much more well rounded and have better cardio for the most part. Fedor fights are some of the only ones from that era that still look good in 2023. He was so far ahead of everyone else that it's crazy.

When Fedor beat Nog the first time, you can see Rampage vs Randleman in that card. Randleman didn't throw a single punch, it was like 8 minutes of him clinching and trying to take Rampage down until he got tired and rampage stopped him with a knee. It's painful to watch these fights in 2023 and how bad the "great" fighters were in that era.

Last edited:
Fedor has mythical status but his run was largely dependent on beating past prime fighters and no names. The only HW more overrated and with a weaker resume is Cain.

Francis starches him but the rose colored glasses club will never admit it. Not a close fight.

The man was never dropped in Pride nor right up until the Hendo fight (I have not seen all his Rings fights). The chicken dance shot from Fujita would have flatlined most HWs.

He had a good chin - until he didn't. Like Chuck Liddell. Like many fighters.

I know many of you can't grasp basic concepts like age and how fighters degrade over time. My comment was directed towards the non-retarded community on here, which I am aware is very small.

How may submissions did Cain & Stipe have with their well rounded submission game? 0 for both. Fedor had 10 submission victories and 15 victories via KO/TKO if i am not mistaken. More skilled… well rounded… lol

Context matters. Fedor submitted strikers and oustruck grapplers. That´s because he fought in a weak era with one dimensional fighters that he had an advantage over.

You like doing the number's game? Here's one you'll like. How many great well rounded HW's did Fedor beat? 0.0

The man was never dropped in Pride nor right up until the Hendo fight (I have not seen all his Rings fights). The chicken dance shot from Fujita would have flatlined most HWs.

He had a good chin - until he didn't. Like Chuck Liddell. Like many fighters.

I know many of you can't grasp basic concepts like age and how fighters degrade over time. My comment was directed towards the non-retarded community on here, which I am aware is very small.

A jab from Cro Cop made him do the chicken dance. Fujita nearly put his lights out. Hendo made him buckle several times and then knocked him out completely cold. Rogers broke his nose with a jab, Bigfoot stunned him, Maldonado made him chicken dance the entire fight. I'll give him a break for the fights in his 40s.

The only opponents who never hurt Fedor were the opponents who were never able to hit Fedor.

So in other words, he got hurt bad any time his chin got touched. Below average chin. I know it sucks but it's reality.

Context matters. Fedor submitted strikers and oustruck grapplers. That´s because he fought in a weak era with one dimensional fighters that he had an advantage over.

You like doing the number's game? Here's one you'll like. How many great well rounded HW's did Fedor beat? 0.0
Big Nog, Cro Cop, Randleman, Sylvia, Arlovski, Herring, Mir… Fedor fought in an era of heavyweights that were more versatile.

Back