Rewatch Free fight - Aldo vs Mendes 2 (one of the best fights ever)

Agreed. One of the best fights ever given who Aldo was at the time, and the back and forth war to the final bell. Amazing.

This was the fight that convinced me Aldo would have toyed with Mcgregor. He ate the flushest, cleanest strikes from Chad Mendes, strikes where Mendes would put everything in his shots. I thought Aldo would just be technically superior and would pick Conor apart.

Nope.

It also wasn't typical to do a year long press tour and have your opponent talk shit to you for a year and your boss sit there and laugh along with your opponent.

By the end of that Aldo was way too fired up and went right in for the kill, which wasn't like him.
There's only so much one man can take.

In a rematch that wouldn't have happened, and they tried to make the rematch at 155, which would negate the opportunity for Aldo to get his belt back.

That whole thing was bullshit.

This fight was so good. I remember watching a video where McGregor was cage side during the fight loosing his shit and someone asked him if he could beat Aldo and Mendes. He said he could beat both of these guys, I thought he was delusion after watching the fight then he did just that.

Yup he did that against a short notice Mendes who was on his way out, and against Aldo that he got to talk shit to for a year on the press tour.

There's a reason they didn't want to do the Aldo rematch at 145 sir.

Also is a legend but man he fought dirty lmao

To think conor would destroy both later on

It also wasn't typical to do a year long press tour and have your opponent talk shit to you for a year and your boss sit there and laugh along with your opponent.

By the end of that Aldo was way too fired up and went right in for the kill, which wasn't like him.
There's only so much one man can take.

In a rematch that wouldn't have happened, and they tried to make the rematch at 155, which would negate the opportunity for Aldo to get his belt back.

That whole thing was bullshit.

For fans, yeah. Sucked for us big time. But from a promotional stand point, they did it perfectly IMO.

The fight is so explosive Isis shows it to their new recruits.

Wish chad did better tho.
He barely won one round.

For fans, yeah. Sucked for us big time. But from a promotional stand point, they did it perfectly IMO.

I think when you fuck the fans and a fighter that has been undefeated and has that many defenses...you ultimately fuck the organization sir.

I think when you fuck the fans and a fighter that has been undefeated and has that many defenses...you ultimately fuck the organization sir.

Results don't lie unfortunately. Mcgregor used that victory to capture a 2nd belt. Becoming the "First" champion to hold two belts in two different weight classes. Catapulting him to superstar status. Every champion since then has gone that route. Also had enough leverage to pursue a fight in boxing, against Mayweather no less. And a lot of fighters are also following that route.

Results don't lie unfortunately. Mcgregor used that victory to capture a 2nd belt. Becoming the "First" champion to hold two belts in two different weight classes. Catapulting him to superstar status. Every champion since then has gone that route. Also had enough leverage to pursue a fight in boxing, against Mayweather no less. And a lot of fighters are also following that route.

That doesn't make it better for the product and it definitely don't make it better for the fans sir.

That doesn't make it better for the product and it definitely don't make it better for the fans sir.

Well, considering they made the most money during that time, I'd disagree. Maybe not for some fans, but the majority of the more casual fans it was great. Mcgregor was the biggest star at that time and might still be the biggest star today. Everybody knows Conor Mcgregor and at a certain point in time, he was the highest paid athlete in the world IIRC. Beating Ronaldo.

Conor is involved in 7 of the 10 biggest PPV earnings in the UFC. From a promotional standpoint, meaning promoting Conor, that was the best thing they've ever done. Again, opinions are unfortunately not facts. I understand where you're coming from, I also wanted to see the rematch. But numbers don't lie.

Well, considering they made the most money during that time, I'd disagree. Maybe not for some fans, but the majority of the more casual fans it was great. Mcgregor was the biggest star at that time and might still be the biggest star today. Everybody knows Conor Mcgregor and at a certain point in time, he was the highest paid athlete in the world IIRC. Beating Ronaldo.

Conor is involved in 7 of the 10 biggest PPV earnings in the UFC. From a promotional standpoint, meaning promoting Conor, that was the best thing they've ever done. Again, opinions are unfortunately not facts. I understand where you're coming from, I also wanted to see the rematch. But numbers don't lie.

Money doesn't make a product better, and if it did McDonald's would have the best burgers out there.

Money doesn't make a product better, and if it did McDonald's would have the best burgers out there.

Conor being allowed to go for a second belt, winning that belt and then having even more leverage to chase a Floyd boxing match made the most sense in a business stand point. All that was possible because the UFC as a promotion, promoted Conor Mcgregor into super stardom.

Conor being allowed to go for a second belt, winning that belt and then having even more leverage to chase a Floyd boxing match made the most sense in a business stand point. All that was possible because the UFC as a promotion, promoted Conor Mcgregor into super stardom.

And all that has done is water down the product and fill the promotion with a bunch of try hards mimicking a wack character.
Instead of letting fighters stand on their own merits.

Made a mockery out of warriors, made an asshole out of himself.

He may have money, but his self-respect is a in the shadows never to return sir...and he took some of the sports self-respect with him.

So again... McDonald's would have the best burgers, and they don't.
Money isn't everything.

One of my favorite fights ever, I've watched it at least five times and think it should be in UFC HOF

He may have money, but his self-respect is a in the shadows never to return sir...and he took some of the sports self-respect with him.

He promoted himself in a way where people tuned in to watch him. Whether that's fans that wanted to see him win or those who wanted to see him lose.

Made a mockery out of warriors, made an asshole out of himself.

This has nothing to do with the UFC promoting Conor.

And all that has done is water down the product and fill the promotion with a bunch of try hards mimicking a wack character.
Instead of letting fighters stand on their own merits.

What happened to the UFC after Conor's peak is irrelevant. Since we're discussing whether or not the UFC did the right thing in a marketing standpoint to snub Aldo of the rematch.

Do you think Conor would have been as popular had Aldo beat him in a rematch and then lost again to Nate Diaz?

So again... McDonald's would have the best burgers, and they don't.
Money isn't everything.

We should be comparing apples to apples. I don't know why you're comparing a fast food restaurant to a fighter and to a fighting organization.

Let's compare the UFC to every other MMA organization out there. Nobody has reached the same level of popularity as Conor Mcgregor. Everyone wants to fight in the UFC, most casual MMA fans exclusively watch the UFC. UFC has promoted itself to be the biggest MMA org in the world, marketing itself as having the best MMA fighters in the world. Promotion and marketing is everything, and the UFC is doing great in that regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back