Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Drop (formerly Massdrop) has a $20 off their Drop Studio stuff for first time buyers that sign up. Drop puts up polls for things that people want. Then they go to the manufacturer and haggle for a reduced price. You have to look out for the shipping dates for stuff, sometimes they'll ship tomorrow and some times they wait until a certain day before they ship all the orders.

MASSDROP X SENNHEISER PC37X GAMING HEADSET for $100 ($80 if you use the coupon)
XRtczGRSY6iogWlwjgBy_MD-36678_20170313143205_102f7812ad0a0b91_20170530143221_20180719135912.png

MASSDROP OBJECTIVE 2 HEADPHONE AMP: DESKTOP EDITION for $95 ($75 if you use the coupon). This isn't really a deal without the coupon.
kUKwwrAqQcikPa4Id5w6_IcnEn7u7Txey16ujTCnO_361A3237.png

Thats an awesome deal.
BTW I assembled my new PC last week. Photos are shit, sorry.
HGE8Xzjml9o.jpg

kDFR7FQFja0.jpg

Fractal Design Meshify S2 + Fractal Design 860 Watt 80+ Platinum PSU
Corsair h150i pro 360mm water cooler
Ryzen 3900x
Gigabyte Aorus Master
32 GB GSkill Trident Z low latency 3600 RAM
Corsair SSD Force MP600 PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe
XFX Radeon 5700XT THICC 3 Ultra
Oh, I knew you'd eventually give it a workout. You ought to be able to run this comp into the ground. You might not need a new CPU/MoBo/RAM for a decade the way things are evolving.

I did notice when looking at the top figure more closely today it appears you have a bit of GPU sag. I'm sure you can find some vendor over there who makes brackets more cheaply (solution #2), or you can use method #3:

hiPGX_b30LAIuSoN2PFZ8agMlXsmMsUzzj0wufQZDrg.jpg

bLIojfpbdDmpLxiOcErgsN0Gb9MZMWnlMFS8mmXL-Us.jpg

149719.580440ef24b20f8717e9bf530f33d44f.4eed5d7a3cbd0f434b367dbcbde6b4e7.1600.jpg

6-VP3RvHSHcRbRBrB7vGh4hJt1hoOp465Sas6bXJL2k.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I knew you'd eventually give it a workout. You ought to be able to run this comp into the ground. You might not need a new CPU/MoBo/RAM for a decade the way things are evolving.

I did notice when looking at the top figure more closely today it appears you have a bit of GPU sag. I'm sure you can find some vendor over there who makes brackets more cheaply (solution #2), or you can use method #3:

Gpu+sag+support_0baa57_6808365.jpg

hiPGX_b30LAIuSoN2PFZ8agMlXsmMsUzzj0wufQZDrg.jpg

bLIojfpbdDmpLxiOcErgsN0Gb9MZMWnlMFS8mmXL-Us.jpg

149719.580440ef24b20f8717e9bf530f33d44f.4eed5d7a3cbd0f434b367dbcbde6b4e7.1600.jpg

6-VP3RvHSHcRbRBrB7vGh4hJt1hoOp465Sas6bXJL2k.jpg
Thats hilarious. I dunno why they dont just make another point of fixation though.
Looks great! How are you liking the cpu cooler? I'm thinking of upgrading and that one is on my short list.
Thanks! I like the cooler, looks neat and it is not noisy.

I’m kind of a PC dummy and could use some handholding advice. My brother in law bought me a gaming PC a year ago.
[Ryzen & GTX 1050 Ti Edition] SkyTech Archangel Gaming Computer Desktop PC Ryzen 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core, GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR4 2400, 1TB HDD, 24X DVD, Wi-Fi USB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit

It runs games like Destiny 2 and Insurgency Sandstorm pretty decently, but I’d like to upgrade it if possible to make it run games better. What are some options for making it run a little better? Adding more RAM? How do I know what to get?

Thats hilarious. I dunno why they dont just make another point of fixation though.
Whoops, looks like I didn't link the video correctly. I fixed that post with YouTube video via Paul's Hardware. It's timestamped.

That's an interesting idea. The issue is that people get GPUs of all different sizes and lengths, so there isn't a fixed point where you could add that anchor. But you wonder if an adjustable secondary mount in the middle of the case might be the next thing added to cases. It's an idea.

The more subtle solution than the action figure is Paul's #2 method with the sturdy GPU support bracket. You'll have to find your own vendor. This is the one he referenced:
https://www.mnpctech.com/collections/gpu-supports-support-vertical-support-vertical

Whoops, looks like I didn't link the video correctly. I fixed that post with YouTube video via Paul's Hardware. It's timestamped.

That's an interesting idea. The issue is that people get GPUs of all different sizes and lengths, so there isn't a fixed point where you could add that anchor. But you wonder if this if an adjustable secondary mount in the middle of the case might be the next thing added to cases. It's an idea.

The more subtle solution than the action figure is Paul's #2 method with the sturdy GPU support bracket. You'll have to find your own vendor. This is the one he referenced:
https://www.mnpctech.com/collections/gpu-supports-support-vertical-support-vertical

I remember seeing a cases with a support bracket but I can't remember who, I want to say Cooler Master but I'm not positive.
It was basically vertical slots on the right side of the mobo tray and the support bracket was a bent L shaped metal bracket.

edit: remembered this.

What are some options for making it run a little better? Adding more RAM? How do I know what to get?

6-8 core AM4 AMD CPU and a better GPU. First we'll need to know the amount of money you can spend.

I’m kind of a PC dummy and could use some handholding advice. My brother in law bought me a gaming PC a year ago.
[Ryzen & GTX 1050 Ti Edition] SkyTech Archangel Gaming Computer Desktop PC Ryzen 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core, GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR4 2400, 1TB HDD, 24X DVD, Wi-Fi USB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit

It runs games like Destiny 2 and Insurgency Sandstorm pretty decently, but I’d like to upgrade it if possible to make it run games better. What are some options for making it run a little better? Adding more RAM? How do I know what to get?

Here are your comp's specs:
https://skytechgaming.com/product/a...1200-nvidia-gtx-4gb-1tb-7200-rpm-hdd-8gb-ram/

GPU
Probably the easiest and biggest upgrade would be to the GPU, but you can't upgrade the GPU too ambitiously beyond your current GPU. The GTX 1660 6GB or RX 590 8GB would probably be the biggest upgrade before you started throwing your money away on more horsepower you wouldn't be able to tap. The good options of those start around $210 if new, and they are ~2/3 more powerful than your current GTX 1050 Ti. IMO, the RX 580 8GB makes the most sense for you. You give up ~9% performance against those more expensive cards for $40 less ($160). You could also opt for the GTX 1650S 4GB for around the same price at the RX 580, which is a little more powerful, but it only comes with 4GB of VRAM, and that is more crucial at this stage. I'm pretty sure even the nondescript 500W PSU could handle it. So the RX 580 8GB is my recommendation. This particular model happens to be the #1 bestseller across all graphics cards on Amazon for the past 24 hours for $160:
XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 1386MHz OC+, 8GB GDDR5, VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-580P8DFD6)

RAM
Very few games require more than 8GB of RAM. Neither Destiny 2 nor Sandstorm are among them; especially at the graphics preset this rig is capable of running (i.e. not Ultra). More important to performance is the speed of the RAM. It looks like this comp shipped with only 1x8GB of DDR4-2400 RAM. Buying faster RAM, especially with that first gen Ryzen processor, would probably make a significant difference in most games. The reason is first gen Ryzen CPUs are very sensitive to RAM speed, and DDR4-2400 is near the bottom of the DDR4 standard. On top of that it's only running in single channel, and this usually means ~30% hit to practical output. You want two sticks so you can run them in dual channel to claim all that performance. Fortunately, 2x8GB is the value sweetspot right now, so that will give you a cushion of RAM overhead going forward.

Unfortunately, your A320M motherboard will be picky with RAM running fast. Here is your motherboard's officially supported QVL list for that CPU:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M/index.asp#Memory

This kit is the one you want. It's $83 for 2x8GB from Newegg, and it will run at 2933MHz with timings of 16-18-18-38 meaning a latency of 10.9ns. Your current RAM has a latency of 12.5ns-13.3ns which means this RAM could be as much as 22% faster, but by also running in dual channel, this leaps to over 50%. This is very significant for your overall performance.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sykwrH/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gtzb

CPU
You could go bigger on your GPU upgrade if you replaced the CPU, but that is a more delicate operation if you're doing this yourself. Watch some videos to see if you're up to it. The best replacement on value would easily be the Ryzen 5 1600 AF for $85. Otherwise, if you want a serious boost in performance, you're going to need to buy a new PC:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked 65W Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler (YD1600BBAFBOX)

You can sell off your current RAM and GPU after you've upgraded, or use them towards a cheap secondary build.

Last edited:
New all-time low that I've seen:

Here are your comp's specs:
https://skytechgaming.com/product/a...1200-nvidia-gtx-4gb-1tb-7200-rpm-hdd-8gb-ram/

GPU
Probably the easiest and biggest upgrade would be to the GPU, but you can't upgrade the GPU too ambitiously beyond your current GPU. The GTX 1660 6GB or RX 590 8GB would probably be the biggest upgrade before you started throwing your money away on more horsepower you wouldn't be able to tap. The good options of those start around $210 if new, and they are ~2/3 more powerful than your current GTX 1050 Ti. IMO, the RX 580 8GB makes the most sense for you. You give up ~9% performance against those more expensive cards for $40 less ($160). You could also opt for the GTX 1650S 4GB for around the same price at the RX 580, which is a little more powerful, but it only comes with 4GB of VRAM, and that is more crucial at this stage. I'm pretty sure even the nondescript 500W PSU could handle it. So the RX 580 8GB is my recommendation. This particular model happens to be the #1 bestseller across all graphics cards on Amazon for the past 24 hours for $160:
XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 1386MHz OC+, 8GB GDDR5, VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-580P8DFD6)

RAM
Very few games require more than 8GB of RAM. Neither Destiny 2 nor Sandstorm are among them; especially at the graphics preset this rig is capable of running (i.e. not Ultra). More important to performance is the speed of the RAM. It looks like this comp shipped with only 1x8GB of DDR4-2400 RAM. Buying faster RAM, especially with that first gen Ryzen processor, would probably make a significant difference in most games. The reason is first gen Ryzen CPUs are very sensitive to RAM speed, and DDR4-2400 is near the bottom of the DDR4 standard. On top of that it's only running in single channel, and this usually means ~30% hit to practical output. You want two sticks so you can run them in dual channel to claim all that performance. Fortunately, 2x8GB is the value sweetspot right now, so that will give you a cushion of RAM overhead going forward.

Unfortunately, your A320M motherboard will be picky with RAM running fast. Here is your motherboard's officially supported QVL list for that CPU:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/A320M/index.asp#Memory

This kit is the one you want. It's $83 for 2x8GB from Newegg, and it will run at 2933MHz with timings of 16-18-18-38 meaning a latency of 10.9ns. Your current RAM has a latency of 12.5ns-13.3ns which means this RAM could be as much as 22% faster, but by also running in dual channel, this leaps to over 50%. This is very significant for your overall performance.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sykwrH/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gtzb

CPU
You could go bigger on your GPU upgrade if you replaced the CPU, but that is a more delicate operation if you're doing this yourself. Watch some videos to see if you're up to it. The best replacement on value would easily be the Ryzen 5 1600 AF for $85. Otherwise, if you want a serious boost in performance, you're going to need to buy a new PC:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked 65W Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler (YD1600BBAFBOX)

You can sell off your current RAM and GPU after you've upgraded, or use them towards a cheap secondary build.
Thanks man, much appreciated!

Thats an awesome deal.
BTW I assembled my new PC last week. Photos are shit, sorry.
HGE8Xzjml9o.jpg

kDFR7FQFja0.jpg

Fractal Design Meshify S2 + Fractal Design 860 Watt 80+ Platinum PSU
Corsair h150i pro 360mm water cooler
Ryzen 3900x
Gigabyte Aorus Master
32 GB GSkill Trident Z low latency 3600 RAM
Corsair SSD Force MP600 PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe
XFX Radeon 5700XT THICC 3 Ultra
Man that GPU is gorgeous, best looking 5700 XT out there.

That's an interesting idea. The issue is that people get GPUs of all different sizes and lengths, so there isn't a fixed point where you could add that anchor. But you wonder if an adjustable secondary mount in the middle of the case might be the next thing added to cases. It's an idea.

came across this. It is 15 bucks and also hides cables. Will probably buy it when they ease off the quarantine.
derzhatel_dlya_videokarty_deepcool_gh_01_a_rgb_1099942_1.jpg

Last edited:
Whoever is in charge of naming for Nvidia needs to be fired.

Nvidia to give its GTX 1650 a 50% memory speed boost with a GDDR6 refresh
Nvidia to give its GTX 1650 a 50% memory speed boost with a GDDR6 refresh
It looks like Nvidia's refreshing its GTX 1650 lineup with new GDDR6-powered variants, significantly increasing the memory bandwidth that's available to these low-end graphics cards.
Now, we have confirmed retail listings for these graphics cards, which have appeared on the Germain retail site PC Service Point, as uncovered by the Twitter user @momomo_us.
Further confirmation for these graphics cards has come through the Czech website cnews.cz, who have released images and specifications for Gigabyte's GTX 1650 Windforce OC 4G G6. This graphics card uses 12Gbps GDDR6 memory, making the memory on this CPU 50% faster than this graphics card's GDDR5-based counterparts.
Moving to GDDR6 will help eliminate any memory bottlenecks that this graphics card may possess, placing it in a better position against AMD's RX 5500 series, which uses GDDR6 memory across its lineup.
At this time, it is unknown when Nvidia plans to release these graphics cards officially, or how much they will cost.

Totally missed this one, Logitech and Herman Miller have partnered.

February 26, 2020

Herman Miller & Logitech G Join Forces to Create High-Performance Furniture Solutions for Gamers
Logitech G’s Design and Engineering Expertise in the Science of Play, Combined with Herman Miller’s 100 Years Perfecting the Science of Sitting Will Bring Advanced Solutions for Gamers

Logitech G, a brand of Logitech (NASDAQ: LOGI) and Herman Miller (NASDAQ: MLHR), today announced an exclusive partnership to research, design, and manufacture the next generation high-performance furniture solutions for gamers. Both companies bring years of design and engineering expertise in their respective fields, and combined will address the needs of esports athletes, gamers, and streamers.

“At Herman Miller, we have a rich history of designing solutions to support people wherever they live and work,” said Tim Straker, Herman Miller’s Chief Marketing Officer. “We’re excited to combine our ergonomic, research-driven approach with Logitech G’s excellence in technology and innovation. Together, we’ll develop high-quality solutions that provide gamers and esports athletes with the utmost support and comfort.”

Like traditional sports, esports athletes and professional streamers need the right gear to perform at their best for long periods of time. In addition to long-term health concerns, esports athletes may also experience a loss of focus and a decline in overall performance due to discomfort. The solutions on the market today are not addressing these concerns—in fact, many of the products on the market today focus primarily on aesthetics, rather than research-proven ergonomic design, and can cause more harm than good.

"Logitech G is committed to creating the best gear for gamers. We make that possible through a unique collaboration process between our design and engineering teams, partners and our customers to translate needs and capabilities into products that gamers love,” said Peter Kingsley, Chief Marketing Officer at Logitech G. “Herman Miller was the obvious choice for us to partner with given their more than 100 years of expertise. Together we will deliver amazing products with advanced ergonomics, comfort and performance that gamers deserve."

Logitech G and Herman Miller will analyze and incorporate the feedback from esports teams with which they have relationships, including Complexity Gaming, TSM, NaVi and others, into products that address their needs and concerns. The first product of this partnership will be a gaming chair, set to launch in the spring of 2020.

For the latest information about collaboration solutions from Logitech G and Herman Miller, visit hermanmiller.com/gaming.

Uh oh, that’s bad news for my wallet since I’m a Logitech fanboy.

So someone said in a thread in the Mayberry that now is a shitty time to try to build a PC because parts are scarce and prices are in turn higher than normal with everything going on. Is that true?

So someone said in a thread in the Mayberry that now is a shitty time to try to build a PC because parts are scarce and prices are in turn higher than normal with everything going on. Is that true?
Case and power supply sales have been lacking lately, prices haven't really changed. Ram & SSD prices are starting to come back up after hitting record lows. Motherboards seem to be staying around the same price. Ryzen stuff is on sale pretty regularly.
Personally with the next gen Ryzen stuff and Nvidia's next gen coming out later this year, I'd wait to build unless you need it today.