General MMA discussion and future lines - August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost want to play Punk because just he's "supposed" to win. Be hard to imagine he goes in there and just gets embarrassed like James Toney against Randy Couture.

Almost want to play Punk because just he's "supposed" to win. Be hard to imagine he goes in there and just gets embarrassed like James Toney against Randy Couture.
I'm getting sucked into the speculation with very little basis, but I wouldn't be surprised if Punk is livebet heaven. Could see Gall coming out aggressive, and I wouldn't put it past Punk to have a lot of heart with how much he wrestled while severely injured

You are right about the minimizing expenses maximizing profits parts, but the fighters are more assets than they are expenses. An expense is more along the lines of bringing in Sinead O Connor to sing for Conor. EDIT bad example since that was a one time thing. An expense is more along the lines of buying a new octagon mat for every event. Something they HAVE to spend money to properly function, but really doesn't have a substantial impact on revenue

Starbucks is different in that every employee is replaceable. There will ALWAYS be someone in need of a job who will accept their offer of employment. You only have so many top level fighters in the world. As they realize their worth and demand a larger chunk of the pie, as Conor and Nate have, its going to have a trickle down effect cause either A.) the other fighters will look to unionize thus forcing the UFCs hand or B.) the UFC will up fighter pay (as they have) and delegate more of their chunk of the pie to mitigate grievances from their other assets (fighters).

If the fighter's don't unionize before the FOX deal expires and UFC has to negotiate a new TV deal, honestly thats just ridiculous stupidity on their end. They will all be GREATLY compensated, from the top to the bottom, if their union is modeled anything like the other leagues.

I won't digress into accounting semantics of assets v. expenses :)

IMO the UFC views their fighters as replaceable and moreover I would even say disposable. I can't find the interview right now but Dana has talked about this before about how there will always be new stars. The UFC moves on and develops new talent after LIddel, Tito, Rousey etc.

I dunno I kinda hope a union doesn't happen becuase they can be a pain in the ass with strikes and infighting etc. However, I do hope fighters start making more down the road.

I won't digress into accounting semantics of assets v. expenses :)

IMO the UFC views their fighters as replaceable and moreover I would even say disposable. I can't find the interview right now but Dana has talked about this before about how there will always be new stars. The UFC moves on and develops new talent after LIddel, Tito, Rousey etc.

I dunno I kinda hope a union doesn't happen becuase they can be a pain in the ass with strikes and infighting etc. However, I do hope fighters start making more down the road.
Dana is a marketing head as much as he is the President. He can't go out there and sell the product by saying 'Man, I hope we can build stars as big as Conor and Ronda once there gone. Gonna be tough'

Harsh honesty, some of the fighters are disposable. But thats part of the game. Thats why when a guy goes 0-2 or 0-3 they'll just cut him and bring in fresh blood. If a union is formed, those guys likely won't be compensated with any of the benefits, unfortunately. It is what it is.

If they can unionize before the new TV deal, every fighter who qualifies for the union will make in the mid six figures off that alone if the deal is for the price the new owners estimate and if the fighters receive the same percentage as other leagues. Thats reason enough to hope it materializes for me, despite the negatives.

I'm getting sucked into the speculation with very little basis, but I wouldn't be surprised if Punk is livebet heaven. Could see Gall coming out aggressive, and I wouldn't put it past Punk to have a lot of heart with how much he wrestled while severely injured

I think Gall might actually be decent, and I think Punk is getting steamrolled.

Would be more interesting if I'm wrong though...

how do you guys predict the line movement on stipe/overeem? more cash comes in on stipe?

Casuals also prob remember Overeem getting KOed multiple times and Stipe winning the belt by KO. But Overeems physique might drive some betting

Overeem have already been betted down some. I really doubt his line will drop even more. If you ask me I would probably say that money will come in on Miocic rather than Overeem based on the current line.

And Overeems Physique aint that impressive anymore, and it is not like we are comparing him to Cain or Fedor either. Miocic are pretty much the same size nowdays.

it's one thing taking hard bumps in a wrestling ring (even while injured) since you know your ''opponent'' will do everything he can to protect you from further injuries as best he can. it's something completly different to be locked inside a cage with someone who's looking to put you out cold. if punk appear hurt in there it's not like gall is going to stop, he'll attack that area instead.

Overeem have already been betted down some. I really doubt his line will drop even more. If you ask me I would probably say that money will come in on Miocic rather than Overeem based on the current line.

And Overeems Physique aint that impressive anymore, and it is not like we are comparing him to Cain or Fedor either. Miocic are pretty much the same size nowdays.

thought the same about that line.

Dodson -110 against lineker, I love that line

+340 :eek: fuck it adding another unit.. break or evenor big payday if pitbull wins

Dodson -110 against lineker, I love that line

Yep I have him at +105 and his dec line at +326. Think he avoids Lineker's power and wins a clear decision.

Hey sweet Cerrone signed an 8 fight extension with the UFC.

So he's signed through maybe the end of the year then LOL.

btw saw this on ESPN earlier, confirms my thoughts (along w others) that there wont be a third fight between Conor and Nate

Per ESPN: UFC president Dana White says that a third fight for Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor "doesn't make any sense"

btw saw this on ESPN earlier, confirms my thoughts (along w others) that there wont be a third fight between Conor and Nate

Per ESPN: UFC president Dana White says that a third fight for Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor "doesn't make any sense"

It only makes sense if you want to sell a bazillion ppv's again, have an epic lead up to it, and run back one of the best fights in recent memory.

I get that there's also reasons to not have a rubber match, but there's not that many fights that get the casuals really interested and this is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back