General MMA discussion and future lines - November 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure conor's going to fight nate next, he doesn't seem too enthused by it and he has a point that diaz took a lot of punishment in that fight

from about 5 mins onward

admittedly this was before the eddie fight but I don't see what's changed tbh

btw if anyone wants to translate whatever nate said..

Somehow I have a feeling mcgregor's next fight is going to be woodley. The three things mcgregor always talks about are making history, breaking records and making money. The woodley fight satisfies all three. Defending a title probably seems a bit too mundane at this point for him although i'd like to see it. The woodley fight is also the safer option. If he loses his title defense the woodley fight is off the table. Not the case the other way around.

The nate trilogy does absolutely nothing for me. It's probably going to be a repeat of the second but I also just want new/fresh matchups.

Khabib is such an intriguing matchup to me because it's probably going to be a blowout for either guy depending on who can force their game on the other. Khabib's stand up is light years behind mcgregor's and the other way around when it comes to the ground game. They are terrible matchups for each other. I'd favor mcgregor ever so slightly.

As much as i'd like to see him defend a title i have to admit the woodley fight is crazy fun.

Somehow I have a feeling mcgregor's next fight is going to be woodley. The three things mcgregor always talks about are making history, breaking records and making money. The woodley fight satisfies all three. Defending a title probably seems a bit too mundane at this point for him although i'd like to see it. The woodley fight is also the safer option. If he loses his title defense the woodley fight is off the table. Not the case the other way around.

The nate trilogy does absolutely nothing for me. It's probably going to be a repeat of the second but I also just want new/fresh matchups.

Khabib is such an intriguing matchup to me because it's probably going to be a blowout for either guy depending on who can force their game on the other. Khabib's stand up is light years behind mcgregor's and the other way around when it comes to the ground game. They are terrible matchups for each other. I'd favor mcgregor ever so slightly.

As much as i'd like to see him defend a title i have to admit the woodley fight is crazy fun.

Woodley fight is fine, but I think Conor avoids Khabib like the plague. Not sure how anyone would favor Conor at all there. Barring just atrocious fight IQ from Khabib, not sure what Conor can do there. Khabib stood with MJ way too long for sure, I'd assume that would not be the case with Conor. And I really don't think it's a situation where Khabib would need to set up his TD. I think vs Conor he could come out, telegraph it, and just plow Conor into the fence and take him down. From that point I don't think there's any way Conor survives. Conor is a master at using distance, but the two guys I really don't think he'd have much chance of staying upright against are Khabib and Maia. Neither guy needs to rely on timing for TD's. They basically have close distance ONE time without getting really stung and from that point it's most likely game over.

5d has Khabib and Conor at evens. If I thought there was any reasonable chance Conor accepted this fight I'd hammer Khabib's line right now. I just don't want to tie up $ on a fight that probably doesn't happen.

FWIW the most intriguing fight from a stylistic matchup to me is Ferg. That's the fight I'd really love to see for Conor.

Australia thread? Got my eye an a two man parlay subject to odds
Bet-At-Home released odds for 2 bouts already:

Jake Matthews -250
Andrew Holbrook +170

Robert Whittaker +110
Derek Brunson -155

Woodley fight is fine, but I think Conor avoids Khabib like the plague. Not sure how anyone would favor Conor at all there. Barring just atrocious fight IQ from Khabib, not sure what Conor can do there. Khabib stood with MJ way too long for sure, I'd assume that would not be the case with Conor. And I really don't think it's a situation where Khabib would need to set up his TD. I think vs Conor he could come out, telegraph it, and just plow Conor into the fence and take him down. From that point I don't think there's any way Conor survives. Conor is a master at using distance, but the two guys I really don't think he'd have much chance of staying upright against are Khabib and Maia. Neither guy needs to rely on timing for TD's. They basically have close distance ONE time without getting really stung and from that point it's most likely game over.

5d has Khabib and Conor at evens. If I thought there was any reasonable chance Conor accepted this fight I'd hammer Khabib's line right now. I just don't want to tie up $ on a fight that probably doesn't happen.

FWIW the most intriguing fight from a stylistic matchup to me is Ferg. That's the fight I'd really love to see for Conor.

I don't blame you for favoring Khabib but I think this is over-simplifying things a bit. MJ was able to stuff a few of Khabib's takedowns and other people have done the same. Every second that fight is standing Khabib is in danger. I believe Conor's advantages on the feet are just as great as Khabib's are on the ground.

The MJ fight was impressive, but Madadi and Jury were able to handle him in a similar fashion. MJ is also the first top level guy that Khabib has ever finished in the UFC, so there's a chance even if he is taken down, Conor will get his opportunties to land something significant standing. It's a pick em fight IMO.

You definitely make good points. The reason I favor mcgregor is just because he is so accurate with his punches combined with the power and timing and distance management he would at least tag khabib a couple of times before he can succesfully close the distance. After the nate fight I wasn't so sure about how well his power would translate to 155. The eddie fight changed that for me, he has dynamite in his hands at 155. But also the clinic he put on alvarez on the feet. It would be even worse for khabib i'd imagine. For me it comes down to whether or not khabib's chin can hold up long enough to the point where he can close that distance and I dont like those odds.

I'm with you on the ferg fight, absolutely crazy fight as well.

I don't blame you for favoring Khabib but I think this is over-simplifying things a bit. MJ was able to stuff a few of Khabib's takedowns and other people have done the same. Every second that fight is standing Khabib is in danger. I believe Conor's advantages on the feet are just as great as Khabib's are on the ground.

The MJ fight was impressive, but Madadi and Jury were able to handle him in a similar fashion. MJ is also the first top level guy that Khabib has ever finished in the UFC, so there's a chance even if he is taken down, Conor will get his opportunties to land something significant standing. It's a pick em fight IMO.

It's just from what I've seen. MJ shows far more balance than Conor in his stance. Conor is extremely heavy on his lead leg because he's so confident in his ability to navigate distance (rightfully so--he's a master at it). But if someone like Khabib (or as I said Maia) isn't concerned with hiding their intentions, it's a completely different thing than Conor has ever had to deal with. The best takedown guy Conor has faced is Mendes. He scored TD's easily, although to be fair Conor was apparently injured. That said, Chad is still a guy who relies on timing to hit TD's. These days guys who are good enough grapplers to simply have the only goal in their standup being to avoid damage and close distance are rare. Guys that once they do get in deep, the fight is almost always going to the mat. Khabib, Maia, Usman.

Of course this all goes out the window if Khabib plays around and is okay standing for a bit. That would be stupid, but it's certainly possible. And he'll get butchered, I totally agree if he chooses that route.

You definitely make good points. The reason I favor mcgregor is just because he is so accurate with his punches combined with the power and timing and distance management he would at least tag khabib a couple of times before he can succesfully close the distance. After the nate fight I wasn't so sure about how well his power would translate to 155. The eddie fight changed that for me, he has dynamite in his hands at 155. But also the clinic he put on alvarez on the feet. It would be even worse for khabib i'd imagine. For me it comes down to whether or not khabib's chin can hold up long enough to the point where he can close that distance and I dont like those odds.

I'm with you on the ferg fight, absolutely crazy fight as well.

Can you imagine the talking with Ferg and Conor? Ferg is right there with Conor and Nate in the "IDGAF" world, but will vocalize it more than Nate. Conor/Ferg is probably THE fight I'd be most excited for right now. I don't see any way it wouldn't be insanely entertaining.

It's just from what I've seen. MJ shows far more balance than Conor in his stance. Conor is extremely heavy on his lead leg because he's so confident in his ability to navigate distance (rightfully so--he's a master at it). But if someone like Khabib (or as I said Maia) isn't concerned with hiding their intentions, it's a completely different thing than Conor has ever had to deal with. The best takedown guy Conor has faced is Mendes. He scored TD's easily, although to be fair Conor was apparently injured. That said, Chad is still a guy who relies on timing to hit TD's. These days guys who are good enough grapplers to simply have the only goal in their standup being to avoid damage and close distance are rare. Guys that once they do get in deep, the fight is almost always going to the mat. Khabib, Maia, Usman.

Of course this all goes out the window if Khabib plays around and is okay standing for a bit. That would be stupid, but it's certainly possible. And he'll get butchered, I totally agree if he chooses that route.

Fair points. Lets hope we get to find out how it would go at some point! And I agree, the Ferg fight is the one I want to see most. It has the potential to be an absolute war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back