Gilbert Burns is going to absolutely destroy Kamaru Usman

I could see him using a combination of wall and stall and stiff boxing to win a UD.

It's such a fucking exciting match up. A dude who has been looking fucking unstoppable with the physique to match, against a dude that is on fire and on paper is a very dangerous match up for Usman.

I love burns but usman is stronger in the clinch and can pin him to the fence, hit him, take him down, let him up, rinse and repeat. Usman is bigger and stronger. Usman has decent power too so usman could catch burns standing at medium range.
I am hoping he stands and trades with burns so burns can finish him.

people may be forgetting that these guys are TRAINING PARTNERS. Meaning, they know each other pretty well, their styles, strengths and weaknesses.

Easy fight? I dont think either of them thinks this will be easy. It actually looks like a good matchup. The fight may be boring tho if Usman manages to sit on Burns, which can happen.

Usman via wrestling imo. Yeah he could get caught in a sub but he is a monster and catching a sub from the bottom in 2020 mma isn’t easy no matter how skilled your bjj is

I suppose that is his best bet.

But Gilbert doesn't seem to have suspect cardio or anything like that.

I think Usman will be in big trouble in the striking exchanges when they are both fresh.
His cardio was absymal against Kunchenko, he was running for his life in the 3rd round. I had money on him, so I was praying he'd make the bell.

I see no scenario where Usman can beat Burns. I have not felt this confident about a title fight in a long time.

If Usman takes him down, he will be submitted. Gilbert is way too dangerous on the mat for Usman to do what he did to Tyron with. If he stands with him, he will get hurt. Gilbert clearly is much better with his hands, and much better in the clinch.

I literally see no path to victory for Usman here. The man is done for.

Anyone see what path to victory Usman has here? Burns seems like the worst match up possible for him in the division.

I can't stand Usman but Burns has wins over a bunch of B level guys and has beens

There is an easy blueprint to beat Woodley and Maia is what 50?

Woodley has looked like shit for awhile now and lets not forget Burns got put away by Hooker 2 years ago.

I think it far more likely this is going to be a very boring fight where Usman controls range, spams takedowns and pitter patter striking while Burns shows increasing desperation in closing and landing.

I think that Burns isn't enough to defeat Usman. Usman will win in a way that will make people think how did Burns got there. Just feelings that I have. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not saying Usman isn't tough, I am saying Gilbert is several levels above him in every aspect of the game other than wrestling.

Based on what? Woodley is Burns' only top 5 win ever and that's really not very impressive when taken into context

Burns has exactly one top 10 win at WW. He cruises past Woodley and suddenly he's the best guy at WW?

Well Gilbert has a history of slowing down in the third but his cardio looked good against Woodley. Burns did manage to control the pace of the fight with Woodley though - and Woodley let him do that after he got dropped.

I like Burns in the fight against Usman but I still need a bit more time to make my pick. Usman looked hittable against Colby. Burns will knock him out if he can get the same opportunities to land.

Easy to manage your cardio when your opponent literally does nothing.

Watch Usman stall him for 5 rounds against the cage into a UD.

Usman lands more, gets hit less, has better tds, had better tdd. Cardio edge goes to Usman as he proved it vs colby. The power is definitely a thing from burns but usman isnt gonna give him much room to wind up

On paper Burns is a horrible matchup for Usman. However, Usman has the size to fence press Burns to the cage and utilize takedowns after Burns carries his weight around

TKO's old slow Maia and beats lackluster woodley and suddenly he's the 2nd Cumming (TS just creamed his pants making this thread).

You really think Usman has better striking than Gilbert? I strongly disagree with that, Usman's striking is pretty shit.

Gilbert doesn't necessarily have to submit him immediately, the submission threat alone should be enough to make Usman doubt his own ability to wrestle him for 5 rounds.
Their striking looks close enough for neither guy to have a big edge there imo. Gilbert never did anything that would warrant him being called an elite striker like I've seen some people do on here, he dropped Maia with a nice hook and beat up an old Tyron, I don't see anything that makes me feel he will dominate the striking.

Burns won't be just any walk in the park for Usman but I still believe he will be controlled and distanced. I feel Burns has the striking advantage but will fall victim to Usman's pressure and cage work. I don't think Burns will be able to control the ground to effectively work his BJJ, Usman is too strong.

Most interesting aspect to me is they were long time training partners and are both highly aware of eventualities in their encounter.

Anyhow Usman UD.

Usman seems stronger and maybe he can make it an ugly fence grabbing snoozefest.
But I like Gilbert in this one.

Back