Glory Signs Alistair Overeem

good point. He turned into the archetypal mma striker with wide stance, low guard and weird movement. He has a lifetime of Dutch kickboxing in him though so he should be able to just change it back, but it is something to consider.
Ya he definitely can't play the game he's been playing in MMA for quite a while. He'll have to revert back to his old K-1 style. To be real though, Overeem has always had a terrible chin even when he was fighting at 205, so that risk has always been there. He can protect his chin much better with larger gloves using a double forearms guard, although granted that isn't always a full proof tactic and you can get rocked through gloves as well.

I think this aspect adds a lot more intrigue to him coming back too. Really want to see what his style will look like back under Kickboxing rules.

What was pretty interesting was you could see him learning kickboxing as he went, he didn't even have a left hook at first, and then he knocked out Badr Hari with one

I will be in stitches if he KO's Rico. I don't see it as very likely, but Overeem has surprised me before

2010 is a long time ago. Overeem never had great K1 technique, he won due to raw power

He has gone downhill a lot since then, last ditch money grab

He does say "If it was up to me" so certainly not for sure. Knowing Glory they would do something like that, I think it's a bad idea personally though.
I think we all know Overeem is getting big money so if Glory want to survive the only 2 choices are either Badr or Rico. Those are the only opponents I can see selling out an arena in the Netherlands and having enough ppv sales to not sink the company in one event

Last edited:
It'll be fun. He's still able to move fighters in the ring.

I think he would get killed by JBS after seeing his last fight vs volkov.
But the bigger guard from the gloves could help him and his chin problems.
Used to be a huge fan and still am since before the horsebeef, maybe he can get 1 or 2 good victories or get some exposure for the younger guys

I think we all know Overeem is getting big money so if Glory want to survive the only 2 choices are either Badr or Rico. Those are the only opponents I can see selling out an arena in the Netherlands and having enough ppv sales to not sink the company in one event
Which is why I think Hari makes more sense. You have all of the drama from the two previous encounters to build on, and giving Overeem a shot at the champ right off the bat doesn't make much sense, and even though I think Rico would be a huge favorite, if Rico were to lose that would make the sport look bad, whereas with Hari he can take losses and still be a draw.

I also don't think it would be good to bring in Overeem and have him lose right off the bat. If they did feed him someone for his first right and he gets a sizzle reel KO that can help build anticipation for these other match-ups even greater. You can have Rico headline the card and they can confront each other at the end of the event.

I feel like Glory's biggest issue is they don't build up narratives to fights, just "here you go".

Must be a big pay cut.
Probably yeah...but, also...this is one of those signings they bothered to have Andurand comment on. Might not too bad a deal as he's really ever only visibly involved with the biggest deals with Rico etc.

Last edited:
I'd imagine guys like Rico, Hari, and now Overeem are getting paid substantially more than everyone else.

Great and very interesting to see Reem is back into KicKboxing!!! I hope we will all get a Hari vs. Reem part 3 to see.
Now we only need Saki and Spong for a bit more "oldschool" vibe in Glory :D
Who is Alistair´s trainer and in which Gym is he training Kb?

Which is why I think Hari makes more sense. You have all of the drama from the two previous encounters to build on, and giving Overeem a shot at the champ right off the bat doesn't make much sense, and even though I think Rico would be a huge favorite, if Rico were to lose that would make the sport look bad, whereas with Hari he can take losses and still be a draw.

I also don't think it would be good to bring in Overeem and have him lose right off the bat. If they did feed him someone for his first right and he gets a sizzle reel KO that can help build anticipation for these other match-ups even greater. You can have Rico headline the card and they can confront each other at the end of the event.

I feel like Glory's biggest issue is they don't build up narratives to fights, just "here you go".
I see your points but in the big picture if Alistair fights rico first even if he loses the Badr fight is still big because of their previous rivalry. If you do the Badr fight first and Overeem loses then the Rico fight is not viable anymore and Glory loses out on a big event that should make money.

I see your points but in the big picture if Alistair fights rico first even if he loses the Badr fight is still big because of their previous rivalry. If you do the Badr fight first and Overeem loses then the Rico fight is not viable anymore and Glory loses out on a big event that should make money.
Fair point as well. I believe it is a 3 fight contract so if they go the Rico route I would like to see them give Overeem a scrub to smash on the same card Rico is on, then make that fight with Rico and save Hari for last. They need an Overeem highlight IMO, would hate to see him lose in his debut. Then again, Overeem has a suspect chin and I'd hate to see a scrub KO him in his debut.

Last edited:
If they give him a scrub hopefully theyre still higher ranked than the guy whos fighting Badr.

I'm hoping he gets back on the horsemeat again

Desktop-Screenshot-2021-06-10-19-10-44-68.png

Last edited:
the matchmake with badr is obvious, but not now..

Back