Gloves you like more then winnings?

Hii do you think gil have rough lining like necalli? And how about new sporting, i have old batch and i am curious about the lining in new batch. Also is new sporting 16oz bigger shape than 16oz necalli? Thank you

I found Gil on the rough side. Not enough that they aggravate my hands though.

Completely agree with the "glove people aren't really normal people" and that good athletes will be good with any passable equipment. Hockey sticks used to be $15, wood, and you would curve the blade yourself to your liking over a stove. Now they're $300, carbon fibre, with a dozen blade options.

It won't make you a better player, but that doesn't mean you can't feel a major difference. Some folks just like the nice gear. I blame the internet for being able to look up stuff from far off lands you normally would never find.

@Badoldman

what a blessing, I hope to have kids one day and teach them in the ring, whatever the hell it is I know anyways.

I'm a big believer in different equipment/training for different times in your life.

I trained kids for a while at a PAL, they hit eachother without fear and ate punches like nothing, wearing facesaver headgear and big soft gloves. absolutely terrible, and the pathway to becoming like brandon rios. hope he is well.

in the beginning, I think that getting hit should probably hurt or cause fear. facegear shouldn't be big, should protect from headbuts and cuts. Dan Mosby believed in a high impact glove, and would not make a fully foam glove for this reason. I have a firm belief that this is why defense was better when people used those rough, high impact, horse hair gloves. getting hit had consequences. you don't ever learn those consequences unless you actually hate the feeling of getting hit, or really know better to avoid it.

in the later stages or for pros, I understand the use of a friendlier glove. at that point, the lessons have been learnt. Ali had bad hands near the end, but think about how long his career was, how hard he fought, how many shots he took and how many he gave. he didn't need to take any more punishment near the end of his career, hell he should not have been fighting. but who could have stopped him, a man of that immense will and determination?

if you've learned the lessons, learned to bob and weave and move (not by a teacher alone, but through experience), learned how to strike through your opponent instead of this modern exploding as fast as you can (telegraphing) and bounce your glove off of the opponents head, then I think that gloves and equipment that provide the most protection makes sense. but to begin a career with these gloves and helmets that make getting hit not so scary, that is what will lead to eventual CTE and getting wide eyed once you get into the ring with a killer in 8 or 10 oz gloves.

facesavers were utilized by the great JCC near the end of the camp, the purpose being that getting cut close to the fight would have very bad consequences with so many players involved. these pro's that wear them all the time (seemingly so, but only from what is shown), I don't know how they do it. probably why they're on that side of the ropes come fight night.

side note, I'm remembering now Andre Ward getting cut wearing "the best headgear in the world" the Winning FG5000. I believe that cut was caused by the additional lever of the bar, combined with the pulling of his skin cause the tear, but I digress.

I am a firm believer that boxing is not for everyone. sparring for fun is sparring for fun, but I don't think anyone should mistake it for a real fight with real killers.

before I begin, I want to say one thing. gloves are very important, but at the same time, they really aren't. most true boxers I know couldn't care any less what they use. it's the mentality of a fighter, and I guess it is not their job to care about what they use, and oftentimes, they use whatever is available. when I started, all I cared about is that I had my own pair of gloves. bought a pair of Adidas gloves (msrp at the time ~$100, but I bought them during a Title sale for $30 because I didn't have a lot of disposable income), and I absolutely tore them to shreds.

and at the same time, gloves are extremely important. but not in the way that some treat it, as if they were collecting hyped sneakers with custom colors and embroidery. you can have both, a very good glove in beautiful colors, but gloves were meant to be used.

bag mitts have taught me many things, things that cannot be taught by a teacher (and definitely not your friendly neighborhood cardio boxing coach) but only learned by doing. and having a sparring gloves where I can actually open my hands...

@Minowafanatic

Richard is doing great things, I have a pair of Barric gloves I ordered right after the pandemic started last year. from my conversations with him and the photos he's shown me of his recent gloves, it looks like his craft has changed immensely over the past year. @hangulmalmotayo also got an early pair of Barric gloves. Richard actually even made me a pair of bag mitts very close to the Everlast 43056.

Ah that's very cool, I have a pair of Everlast 4305 bag mitts with "Made In The USA" on the label at the front, and they are in great condition and I use those, they feel really good. I also have some Barric gloves on the way from csquaredboxing after finding that Richard himself is not taking orders right this moment. I saw an image of gloves he'd made recently and thought they looked somewhat similar to the Flores gloves that I've seen others and you especially post over the years.

@Minowafanatic

yeah my understanding of Richard and Barric is that he started out using some American gloves as his template for his first gloves. I know that Flores, namely Dan's work, has influenced his latest creations. I cannot wait to get my hands on the more recent gloves, though the ones he made me earlier last year are tanks.

that's awesome that you have the 4305. what is strange is the variation i've found in the 4305s i've purchased over the years. some have really plastic-y leather and there is quite a variation in terms of the density of the foams used. the ones that are my go to are the ones with the very dense padding, those work the best for me. I doubt the variation had anything to do with intention, more of the quality of the materials that were available at the time. the 4305, specifically the 43056 (the size "large" version) are all I use on the bag. the last pair of lace up gloves I used was when I was reviewing the DiNardo fight gloves that were sent to me for that purpose.

on 1V1, I can't remember if I've actually had a call with Jason Neese or if that conversation was through email. I picked up a pair of the Adidas 1v1's quite some time ago, and they were very bulky and the shape was very odd. you can definitely tell that the materials were good, but they reminded me more than anything of a pair of 18-20 oz UMA gloves, which were actually pretty great in terms of quality and craftsmanship, but the foam was way too thick for me and way too soft if I'm remembering correctly. I remember thinking at the time, on the 1v1 gloves, that they weren't at the level i'd expect at the price, but given that they were still new, it made sense.

other notes on 1V1:
they've recently advertised some gloves they're making for the bag with horsehair. my understanding has been that horsehair gloves shouldn't really be used as bag gloves, as the hair will wear down very quickly and the glove will become misshapen, but I guess how the hair is used plays a factor.

one other note on 1v1- they seem to be more of a business/than what Dan Mosby (my highest standard) was doing. I hope you understand that I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all, and I'm very happy that there's another USA glove maker, couldn't be more thrilled. for what 1v1 are doing, they deserve to get paid.

I just can't wait until we have the long-awaited return of @rskbreaker and his gloves :) another to add to the gauntlet of american glove makers.

notes on horsehair, dinardo:
those dinardo gloves, the hair padding was in its own quilted liner pockets... very impressive when i flipped them inside out. couldn't see those gloves wearing down too quickly, but then again, i only really put in about 20-25 rounds with them in total. I gave them to a kid at the PAL who turned pro. last i checked in with him, leather had torn, but the kid puts in a lot of work.

note on gloves in general:
what is super strange is that gloves, in order to be truly judged, really need to be broken in (not applicable to all gloves, but most). if they break instead of break in, then that's not great (my first adidas gloves). foam, from my understanding, doesn't really break in. it's more of the padding wearing out, and you have some time before the padding just goes. now the old horsehair gloves... different story, for better or for worse. i imagine a broken in boxing glove was as beloved as a broken in baseball glove, probably less as the boxing glove as a tool has a much more sinister purpose, or at least, used to.

Last edited:
@Minowafanatic
what image hosting site do you use? i'm trying to post exclusively to instagram nowadays. I think i know who you are on there, more than happy to send photos there.

@Badoldman

what a blessing, I hope to have kids one day and teach them in the ring, whatever the hell it is I know anyways.

I'm a big believer in different equipment/training for different times in your life.

I trained kids for a while at a PAL, they hit eachother without fear and ate punches like nothing, wearing facesaver headgear and big soft gloves. absolutely terrible, and the pathway to becoming like brandon rios. hope he is well.

in the beginning, I think that getting hit should probably hurt or cause fear. facegear shouldn't be big, should protect from headbuts and cuts. Dan Mosby believed in a high impact glove, and would not make a fully foam glove for this reason. I have a firm belief that this is why defense was better when people used those rough, high impact, horse hair gloves. getting hit had consequences. you don't ever learn those consequences unless you actually hate the feeling of getting hit, or really know better to avoid it.

in the later stages or for pros, I understand the use of a friendlier glove. at that point, the lessons have been learnt. Ali had bad hands near the end, but think about how long his career was, how hard he fought, how many shots he took and how many he gave. he didn't need to take any more punishment near the end of his career, hell he should not have been fighting. but who could have stopped him, a man of that immense will and determination?

if you've learned the lessons, learned to bob and weave and move (not by a teacher alone, but through experience), learned how to strike through your opponent instead of this modern exploding as fast as you can (telegraphing) and bounce your glove off of the opponents head, then I think that gloves and equipment that provide the most protection makes sense. but to begin a career with these gloves and helmets that make getting hit not so scary, that is what will lead to eventual CTE and getting wide eyed once you get into the ring with a killer in 8 or 10 oz gloves.

facesavers were utilized by the great JCC near the end of the camp, the purpose being that getting cut close to the fight would have very bad consequences with so many players involved. these pro's that wear them all the time (seemingly so, but only from what is shown), I don't know how they do it. probably why they're on that side of the ropes come fight night.

side note, I'm remembering now Andre Ward getting cut wearing "the best headgear in the world" the Winning FG5000. I believe that cut was caused by the additional lever of the bar, combined with the pulling of his skin cause the tear, but I digress.

I am a firm believer that boxing is not for everyone. sparring for fun is sparring for fun, but I don't think anyone should mistake it for a real fight with real killers.

The sparring at our gym in the deep end of a fight camp is not light sparring. I would call it a "controlled fight". It is necessary for some of our fighters to wear the "no contact" headgear as they have leaky noses or black eyes. There are some of our middleweights, light heavyweights and heavyweights who are very heavy handed and can hurt you with a jab. I like the softer gloves as I am not sure how old is too old to spar but I love the action. My son has a stoppage in international competition where they have dispensed with the use of headgear altogether. The studies have shown it is the repeated mini-concussions that are resulting in CTE and not necessarily the one punch that stuns you so you are correct and on the right side of the science pertaining to knockouts. The use of softer gloves is simply a courtesy to your sparring partner. I do not have the classic amateur style which is the clean contact boxing so prevalent among elite competitors right now. I throw lots of punches. Most miss. But the pros at our gym connect at a rate I cannot ever hope to. My son seldom throws with all his might. He will if you corner him or try and walk him down. But those youngsters seem impervious to hard shots. Sometimes takes me a day or two to recover from hard sparring. Especially the shot to that floating rib. I do lots of ab and core work but alas, age is untied and undefeated.

@Badoldman
understood, yeah the point I was trying to make is that sparring in softer gloves (which of course, anyone in their right mind would prefer) can be bad because I feel like I've seen too many tough guys in the gym who walk through shots and even wear the whole taking-punches-machismo thing on their sleeve. I wasn't calling your work light sparring, was just trying to give a range of reasons why different equipment could have their place.

I'm actually going to contradict myself - if the sparring is light, maybe that's where the high impact gloves could have their place? since the two shouldn't be throwing with wicked intentions anyways, similar to what you can see in my earlier post, where George Foreman puts on a masterful display.

great insight, and yes, young fighters seem impervious but they do not even know that they're being worn down. it's inevitable when learning the craft, you can only reap what you sow, and most lessons need to be learned the hard way.

@Badoldman
understood, yeah the point I was trying to make is that sparring in softer gloves (which of course, anyone in their right mind would prefer) can be bad because I feel like I've seen too many tough guys in the gym who walk through shots and even wear the whole taking-punches-machismo thing on their sleeve. I wasn't calling your work light sparring, was just trying to give a range of reasons why different equipment could have their place.

I'm actually going to contradict myself - if the sparring is light, maybe that's where the high impact gloves could have their place? since the two shouldn't be throwing with wicked intentions anyways, similar to what you can see in my earlier post, where George Foreman puts on a masterful display.

great insight, and yes, young fighters seem impervious but they do not even know that they're being worn down. it's inevitable when learning the craft, you can only reap what you sow, and most lessons need to be learned the hard way.
Your posts are thoughtful and informative and you are spot on. I primarily use Everlast Old School headgear. It is well padded around the eyes and forehead. The vision is great but you give up protection. I spar in lots of gloves. But my go to is 20oz Everlast MX. I do have their C3 professional headgear too that I use on days I know I’m taking a beating. My son uses 16oz Winning for sparring and has just now begun to use headgear with a facebar because I suspect he broke his nose about 3 weeks ago. He bled all over the place. But he is 5 weeks out from his fight date and won’t stop sparring while he bleeds all over his gear and clothes. It took me and him about 2 hours to get all the blood off his headgear and gloves. Used a mixture of witch hazel and water. He got cracked with a looping right hand from a heavyweight fighter and just kept on throwing. This is his first fight post COVID-19 lockdown. So he’s amped to get in there. I also use Reyes and Casanova’s from time to time. Depends on the sparring goal. At our gym we always have a purpose for sparring. Usually some technique the fighter is working on. We also have a big long heavyweight pro that seldom spars hard. Now when I say goal it is not an agreement between the sparring partners. This heavyweight works defense because he says one shot from a 230 lb fighter is all it takes so footwork, moving in and out, catching angles and head movement is what he usually works. But he is the one who cracked my son. My son made the mistake of cutting him off and paid for it.

@Minowafanatic

yeah my understanding of Richard and Barric is that he started out using some American gloves as his template for his first gloves. I know that Flores, namely Dan's work, has influenced his latest creations. I cannot wait to get my hands on the more recent gloves, though the ones he made me earlier last year are tanks.

that's awesome that you have the 4305. what is strange is the variation i've found in the 4305s i've purchased over the years. some have really plastic-y leather and there is quite a variation in terms of the density of the foams used. the ones that are my go to are the ones with the very dense padding, those work the best for me. I doubt the variation had anything to do with intention, more of the quality of the materials that were available at the time. the 4305, specifically the 43056 (the size "large" version) are all I use on the bag. the last pair of lace up gloves I used was when I was reviewing the DiNardo fight gloves that were sent to me for that purpose.

on 1V1, I can't remember if I've actually had a call with Jason Neese or if that conversation was through email. I picked up a pair of the Adidas 1v1's quite some time ago, and they were very bulky and the shape was very odd. you can definitely tell that the materials were good, but they reminded me more than anything of a pair of 18-20 oz UMA gloves, which were actually pretty great in terms of quality and craftsmanship, but the foam was way too thick for me and way too soft if I'm remembering correctly. I remember thinking at the time, on the 1v1 gloves, that they weren't at the level i'd expect at the price, but given that they were still new, it made sense.

other notes on 1V1:
they've recently advertised some gloves they're making for the bag with horsehair. my understanding has been that horsehair gloves shouldn't really be used as bag gloves, as the hair will wear down very quickly and the glove will become misshapen, but I guess how the hair is used plays a factor.

one other note on 1v1- they seem to be more of a business/than what Dan Mosby (my highest standard) was doing. I hope you understand that I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all, and I'm very happy that there's another USA glove maker, couldn't be more thrilled. for what 1v1 are doing, they deserve to get paid.

I just can't wait until we have the long-awaited return of @rskbreaker and his gloves :) another to add to the gauntlet of american glove makers.

notes on horsehair, dinardo:
those dinardo gloves, the hair padding was in its own quilted liner pockets... very impressive when i flipped them inside out. couldn't see those gloves wearing down too quickly, but then again, i only really put in about 20-25 rounds with them in total. I gave them to a kid at the PAL who turned pro. last i checked in with him, leather had torn, but the kid puts in a lot of work.

note on gloves in general:
what is super strange is that gloves, in order to be truly judged, really need to be broken in (not applicable to all gloves, but most). if they break instead of break in, then that's not great (my first adidas gloves). foam, from my understanding, doesn't really break in. it's more of the padding wearing out, and you have some time before the padding just goes. now the old horsehair gloves... different story, for better or for worse. i imagine a broken in boxing glove was as beloved as a broken in baseball glove, probably less as the boxing glove as a tool has a much more sinister purpose, or at least, used to.
I have the 1v1 horsehair bag gloves in 12 ounces. I love them but have just started using them so I obviously can’t really say anything about their durability yet. However, I’ve used several pairs of both Cleto Reyes and Everlast MX horsehair fight gloves on the bag in the past, and they actually hold up quite a bit longer than most people think.

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a pair of winning gloves but am unsure of where to purchase from. I keep hearing of the website ratuken and America-ya but I can't seem to find their links. Wjapan seems to be very overpriced in comparison to kozuji. Can someone please help and tell me where is the best place to purchase winning gloves at a reasonable price. thanks

I bought my winnings 2 years ago via www.winning-usa.com which at the time I thought was the only authorized USA dealer. I dunno if that's still true. It's run by this old Japanese guy so you may get sketchy emails in broken English and the website itself is not top of the line web design, but don't worry it's legit. (Price seems to have gone up about 30% since I got mine BTW.)
Not that you asked but in my opinion Winning makes a great product however I think they are somewhat overrated for the money. But I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying them if that's what you settled on. Took me a surprisingly long time to break in. They still seem just like new two years later and were my main glove for most of that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back