Google Stadia ***Update: Google shutting down the service***

I'm glad they didn't though.

Its really strange on who they marketed it to. A console pricing structure that only used Pc titles.

Google needed to target partnering with Sony/Microsoft for their library and user base as a cheaper alternative to someone buying their console. While packaging their game pass services into Stadias monthly subscription model.

Got a free Stadia controller as a YouTube premium subscriber and bought Cyberpunk at launch. Played a couple hundred hours on it while laughing about all the console problems my friends were having.

Loved the fact that I could play at work through chrome browser during overnight shifts and then come home and continue my game on my 12 year old Sony Vaio laptop connected to a TV.

Tried the Stadia Pro service for a month and there was nothing worthwhile. I did buy Far Cry 6 a couple months ago on sale so I'll have to play through that in the next while.

Best part is that now I get all my money back for my purchase of Cyberpunk and Far Cry 6. Well worth it. Thanks for the memories Google.

Got a free Stadia controller as a YouTube premium subscriber and bought Cyberpunk at launch. Played a couple hundred hours on it while laughing about all the console problems my friends were having.

Loved the fact that I could play at work through chrome browser during overnight shifts and then come home and continue my game on my 12 year old Sony Vaio laptop connected to a TV.

Tried the Stadia Pro service for a month and there was nothing worthwhile. I did buy Far Cry 6 a couple months ago on sale so I'll have to play through that in the next while.

Best part is that now I get all my money back for my purchase of Cyberpunk and Far Cry 6. Well worth it. Thanks for the memories Google.

Not sure if this is a troll post or not. Seems serious. First of all what a great friend you are to laugh at all your friends for choosing a real platform instead of a half hearted shitty one like Stadia. I wouldn't chirp my friends if they dropped 80 bucks on a new game and then have it crash and burn. Luckily Microsoft and Sony offered full refunds at the time.

You talk about loving the fact you could play CP77 on your browser on a dinosaur laptop but never mentioned how bad the latency probably was and also that you tried Pro but there was nothing worthwhile there. So it was a bad service then even though you claim it wasn't even though you contradict yourself in the same post saying "There was nothing worthwhile."

Enjoy your refund and also losing "ownership" of your games and as well as your save files, any DLC you purchased and MTX. Streaming services are garbage and Google just proved why.

Not sure if this is a troll post or not. Seems serious. First of all what a great friend you are to laugh at all your friends for choosing a real platform instead of a half hearted shitty one like Stadia. I wouldn't chirp my friends if they dropped 80 bucks on a new game and then have it crash and burn. Luckily Microsoft and Sony offered full refunds at the time.

You talk about loving the fact you could play CP77 on your browser on a dinosaur laptop but never mentioned how bad the latency probably was and also that you tried Pro but there was nothing worthwhile there. So it was a bad service then even though you claim it wasn't even though you contradict yourself in the same post saying "There was nothing worthwhile."

Enjoy your refund and also losing "ownership" of your games and as well as your save files, any DLC you purchased and MTX. Streaming services are garbage and Google just proved why.

Not a troll post at all. Laughing at my friends troubles with Cyberpunk on XB1 and PS4 was obviously in jest. I would have chosen a decent platform but I wasn't able to buy a PS5 or XBSX anywhere and wasnt willing to pay scalper price.

I kid you not, Stadia ran absolutely perfect without latency issues on my dinosaur laptop. I've tried GFN and X Cloud and stadia seemed to work the best regardless of hardware. Yes, the Pro service sucked ass and had no good games, but the ones I purchased outright worked awesome. And now I get my money back.

I'm not a big gamer at all, so the fact that I paid zero for hundreds of hours of entertainment is very satisfying to me. I now have a pretty decent gaming PC, so I'm not upset Stadia is shutting down. I lose my save files sure, but it doesn't really bother me. I have a three month old son now in addition to the rest of my kids, so hardly any time for gaming anyway.

Not a troll post at all. Laughing at my friends troubles with Cyberpunk on XB1 and PS4 was obviously in jest. I would have chosen a decent platform but I wasn't able to buy a PS5 or XBSX anywhere and wasnt willing to pay scalper price.

I kid you not, Stadia ran absolutely perfect without latency issues on my dinosaur laptop. I've tried GFN and X Cloud and stadia seemed to work the best regardless of hardware. Yes, the Pro service sucked ass and had no good games, but the ones I purchased outright worked awesome. And now I get my money back.

I'm not a big gamer at all, so the fact that I paid zero for hundreds of hours of entertainment is very satisfying to me. I now have a pretty decent gaming PC, so I'm not upset Stadia is shutting down. I lose my save files sure, but it doesn't really bother me. I have a three month old son now in addition to the rest of my kids, so hardly any time for gaming anyway.

Well at least with the refund you can buy them digitally again on current or last gen. and go that route. The Edgerunners update apparently made the game very good and I think it's kind of BS that you will lose all your progress when the service shuts down. Especially some of these longform games that take hundreds of hours to complete and all that is gone now. No getting that time back. Can't refund that.

Having spent a bit of time with cloud gaming, I can confidently say that it is the future, and will likely be the end of generation hardware in the future. It's come a long way, and it still kind of blows my mind that I can play next gen games on a current gen console, with no compromise.

This was just a confusing mess of a service from the get go. Let the gaming companies figure this out. Stay in your world domination lane, Google. Let MS, Sony, Valve, and Nintendo do the work in future videogame entertainment for your slaves.

Well at least with the refund you can buy them digitally again on current or last gen. and go that route. The Edgerunners update apparently made the game very good and I think it's kind of BS that you will lose all your progress when the service shuts down. Especially some of these longform games that take hundreds of hours to complete and all that is gone now. No getting that time back. Can't refund that.
For sure, but the only game on the platform I put any time into was Cyberpunk. I pretty much did everything there was to do in the game, and had no intention of picking it back up.

I have to give them kudos for refunding. I expected the usual, Ubisoft style, "Fuck you! No refund, you schmuck!".

I have to give them kudos for refunding. I expected the usual, Ubisoft style, "Fuck you! No refund, you schmuck!".

I'd imagine the backlash would be way to high if they didn't. They probably just want to cut their losses to save face.

It was the way I can play BG3. Glad I'm getting a refund, but really don't care to upgrade for what's needed for PC gaming these days.

Having spent a bit of time with cloud gaming, I can confidently say that it is the future, and will likely be the end of generation hardware in the future. It's come a long way, and it still kind of blows my mind that I can play next gen games on a current gen console, with no compromise.

It'll be the future for console gamers who live in and or in close proximity to large population centers. Current pricing structure of hardware indicates that future consoles will be 1-1/2 generations behind on CPU architecture and two generations behind on GPU usage at launch. Where the target audience will be further narrowed to those interested in PvE Co-op and single player games.

Sony and Microsoft cant compete in the current market at a $500~ unit price point.

Would be funny if google fucks up and pays me for my free stadia Chromecast/controller bundle.

Back