Great in UFC but nowhere else

Most of these guys were past their primes when they left the UFC.

Don't make the mistake of assuming Randy wouldn't have won if those orgs were real MMA. You can't really extrapolate to the UFC from Rings. Same with Pancrase and Shooto.
Randy got subbed every time he left the UFC by guys with much lesser legacies.

It happens. Some fighters just don't perform in other orgs. Bader did great in Bellator but so so in UFC. Rizzo did great in UFC and so so everywhere else

I did not see a Randy hate post on my 2024 BINGO card🙄
Not really. He's just an example to get the ball rolling.

I also mentioned how Jorge Santiago seemed like a world beater outside the ufc but did nothing in the ufc.

Vitor is another one. Great UFC career but strikeforce and pride were whatever

I don't think most of very aware of that part of the timeline because most of the significant fighters that were MMA pioneers had left by that point, or well before it.
Yeah, it might just be Barnett.

True. I was just saying the restrictions obviously affect fighters in different ways. Randy's GNP being only open palm strikes doesn't give him much of a chance against submissions fighters. Bas learned submissions to counter his disadvantages. Those rules highlight a different skillset more favorably I think.
For sure I never really liked any ruleset with limited ground strikes. They are interesting from a sort of historical perspective but I like the modern rules.

Randy got subbed every time he left the UFC by guys with much lesser legacies.

It happens. Some fighters just don't perform in other orgs. Bader did great in Bellator but so so in UFC. Rizzo did great in UFC and so so everywhere else
Because after UFC they are all fucked up because of injuries and that....

Everybody who got old or past prime in the UFC

Reactions: mkt
Yeah kinda makes this thread pointless. Just a lot of people listing past prime fighters. Like no shit they did worse.

That is some of it but Randy was not out of his prime in the fights outside ufc

Neither was Vitor.

There are also plenty of fighters who did well outside the ufc but not their best when in the ufc

ie. Eddie Alvarez

I keep forgetting the question by the time I'm ready to answer.

Which fighters did great in the UFC but not good or even horrible outside of the UFC?

Randy Couture

Who are some others?
Randy is hard to compare to modern fighters because he only had a few fights in the UFC before venturing out and no one had tested his sub-defense. Remember, this was still the late 1990s. He got submitted a few times, worked on that area and was never subbed again.

Not really. He's just an example to get the ball rolling.

I also mentioned how Jorge Santiago seemed like a world beater outside the ufc but did nothing in the ufc.

Vitor is another one. Great UFC career but strikeforce and pride were whatever

I was wondering when someone would mention Vitor!
He's a perfect example of that

I mean he had some good wins outside the UFC, but his best one was arguably that time in Affliction when the crowd thought he had killed poor Matt "The Law" Lindland :(
(Despite Baroni's claims that there is not such thing as a Matt Lindland fan, I've always rooted for the guy, except for the Fedor fight obviously)

For Vitor, there was also the win over Heath Herring in PRIDE, but since it was a controversial decision, I'm not sure I would call it his greatest win in PRIDE

I've always loved that avatar of yours, turning Joe Higashi into Belfort's blitz mode was perfection.

Back