Greatest Nu-metal album of all time?

Yeah, nu-metal's quite an odd one isn't. There's albums I consider nu-metal, that probably weren't but those albums came out during that explosion, all the bands toured together etc. Snot, is the one that springs to mind - definitely had punk elements to it, but for me it'll always be a really solid nu-metal album.

SOAD debut was quality, yeah. I actually really liked Mudvayne's debut, too. It all blurs into one long endless summer of overly-baggy jeans, piercings, crazy hair and chains for me! Haha.

much like “grunge”....I’ve always considered nu-metal more as a scene than a genre and didn’t split hairs about what bands made the cut based on their sound. All those grunge bands had their own sound and were mainly tied together from their origins, scene, fashion, fan bases, etc.

Korn, Deftones, Slipknot, SOAD, Incubus and Disturbed are all worlds apart from each other in sound but yet they were all on the same tours and festivals for a decade. They mostly all dressed in adidas and had a similar trendy fashion(slipknot and disturbed were among the exceptions, though I did catch a few adidas shoes when I first saw slipknot). That was the nu-metal scene. Snot was most definitely with that scene and pretty much everybody from the nu-metal scene contributed to a tribute album to Lynn Strait of Snot.

I never considered Rage Against the Machine or Red Hot Chili Peppers to be nu-metal. They predate the scene and were an influence but nobody considered them nu-metal...just like nobody ever considered Pixies to be grunge. If Rage started in say 94 or 95, it’s possible they would’ve been part of the nu-metal fad but they were nearing the end as a band when nu-metal was at its peak.

Last edited:
Back