Greg Hardy gets sent to the canvas AGAIN

It's not a popular truth to mention around here, but quite simply, the level of athleticism in the NFL grossly exceeds the UFC, and the same is true for American Football versus combat sports (like folkstyle, freestyle, or Greco Roman wrestling) at the college level and lower.

Brendan Schaub, Matt Mitrione, Greg Hardy, and Marcus Jones are all former NFL players who at least played snaps before transitioning to the UFC. This is MMA's greatest organization. Bob Sapp fought in PRIDE. Herschel Walker, Wes Shivers, Austen Lane, Michael Westbrook, and Rex Richards are other former NFL players who have had success at the "minor league" level of MMA in organizations like Strikeforce.

That's just the NFL. Then there are dozens of former football players such as Shawn Jordan or Eryk Anders who played at Division I football powerhouses like LSU & Alabama (the latter won a national championship, and signed--but did not play-- with the Minnesota Vikings). If you rummage further, you have examples like former UFC Heavyweight champion Shane Carwin who was a multi-sport college athlete playing at a lower level, but who still impressively earned multiple All-American honors as a Division II football player.

Nobody retires from a UFC career and is suddenly taking snaps in the NFL. Nobody. The crossovers are one-way for a reason. "A-level athleticism" might be tongue-in-cheek, but the reality of the concept is real. There's just flat-out superior athletes in that sport, and in that league.

They may be superior "athletes", by your criteria, but more often than not they seem to suck at fighting.

Is this the A-Level athlete guy
He was a very good athlete that after retiring from football got into combat sports at a very late athletic age.

Same as Schuab and Mitrione. When their primary athletic careers didnt work out, they were able to compete in MMA as a second choice/career.

He didnt have the same success as Schuab and Mitrione knocking out vets with relatively no training.

The real answer being he didn't do anything in the NFL and was cut. He wasn't good enough for the NFL, hence why he likely chose a wrestling career despite playing football in high school. Here's the reality.

This is no load of bull; it's no WWE stunt. I am dead serious about this. I ain't afraid of anything and I ain't afraid of anybody. I've been an underdog in athletics since I was five. I got zero college offers for wrestling. Now people say I can't play football, that it's a joke. I say I can. I'm as good an athlete as a lot of guys in the NFL, if not better. I've always had to fight for everything. I wasn't the best technician in amateur wrestling but I was strong, had great conditioning, and a hard head. Nobody could break me. As long as I have that, I don't give a damn what anybody else thinks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Lesnar#Professional_football_career

From his own words, you can perceive a kind of insecurity.

Yet still became an UFC champion later.
It's a super interesting story, but doesn't it show that football isn't about athleticism either? Lesnar was faster and stronger than those guys, but still couldn't cut it. Just like he was faster and stronger than Cain and way bigger but still got tooled. Athleticism is good for athletics lol.

It's not a popular truth to mention around here, but quite simply, the level of athleticism in the NFL grossly exceeds the UFC, and the same is true for American Football versus combat sports (like folkstyle, freestyle, or Greco Roman wrestling) at the college level and lower.

Brendan Schaub, Matt Mitrione, Greg Hardy, and Marcus Jones are all former NFL players who at least played snaps before transitioning to the UFC. This is MMA's greatest organization. Bob Sapp fought in PRIDE. Herschel Walker, Wes Shivers, Austen Lane, Michael Westbrook, and Rex Richards are other former NFL players who have had success at the "minor league" level of MMA in organizations like Strikeforce.

That's just the NFL. Then there are dozens of former football players such as Shawn Jordan or Eryk Anders who played at Division I football powerhouses like LSU & Alabama (the latter won a national championship, and signed--but did not play-- with the Minnesota Vikings). If you rummage further, you have examples like former UFC Heavyweight champion Shane Carwin who was a multi-sport college athlete playing at a lower level, but who still impressively earned multiple All-American honors as a Division II football player.

Nobody retires from a UFC career and is suddenly taking snaps in the NFL. Nobody. The crossovers are one-way for a reason. "A-level athleticism" might be tongue-in-cheek, but the reality of the concept is real. There's just flat-out superior athletes in that sport, and in that league.

Ice hockey and football (actual football, not the American kind with the 400 lb. secret juice freaks) requires much more constant movement. American football players are handed the ball and fall down after two yards! It stops every few seconds and people sit and wait up to 45 seconds just to begin playing again. The cardio required to play top minutes in ice hockey and football is beyond what giant retards smashing each other in the head over a flying saucer-shaped pigskin thingy can manage. A lot of fatties with guts sticking out in the NFL. No fatties in NHL and in football.

Hold on...BOWLERS have the greatest physiques of all sports!

4856D417-255A-497C-9978-ED781A213BCF.gif

It's a super interesting story, but doesn't it show that football isn't about athleticism either? Lesnar was faster and stronger than those guys, but still couldn't cut it. Just like he was faster and stronger than Cain and way bigger but still got tooled. Athleticism is good for athletics lol.

Or maybe his combine results are false : never found a reliable source about that.

Or maybe once in the NFL (which has an anti-doping policy) he could not rely as much on doping as before ?

Hence why he didn't do anything in the NFL (what really matters) ?

Last edited:
Ice hockey and football (actual football, not the American kind with the 400 lb. secret juice freaks) requires much more constant movement. American football players are handed the ball and fall down after two yards! It stops every few seconds and people sit and wait up to 45 seconds just to begin playing again. The cardio required to play top minutes in ice hockey and football is beyond what giant retards smashing each other in the head over a flying saucer-shaped pigskin thingy can manage. A lot of fatties with guts sticking out in the NFL. No fatties in NHL and in football.

View attachment 985723
This post illustrates a lof the confusion regarding elite athleticism.

I dont think anyone believes the NFL or other high paying sports automatically make its participants great fighters.

But in the US, the best athletes go into high paying sports.

The proposition is that if they went into MMA at an earlier age (instead of high paying sports) they would excel

ie. Jone Jones.

well.. he's 5-2 in boxing since leaving the UFC

View attachment 985723

Only you believe that ice hockey is an athletic sport, a sport where you spend your whole time with skates on ice.

No wonder, there's not a single ice sport included in the athletics at Olympic Games (hence why it happens in summer too)
: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_Summer_Olympics#Men's_events

As for soccer, it's like expecting HWs having the same cardio than LWs, which is obviously a normal expectation <seedat>

Also if cardio is the only metric, then i guess Usain Bolt is not athletic.

Also i wonder why 100 meters is the most prestigious event in Olympic Games (summer and winter combined).

Everybody knows Usain Bolt while nobody knows a single marathonian gold medalist.

Perhaps athleticism is mainly about explosiveness in people's mind ?

They may be superior "athletes", by your criteria, but more often than not they seem to suck at fighting.
Notching wins in the preeminent organization in the sport in the entire world constitutes someone who "sucks at fighting"? Are you hearing yourself?

That's like saying someone who makes it to the NFL and is actually fielded as a player for a team on a day they earn a win-- even if they are a losing team overall including with that player on the field-- is someone who "sucks" at football. That's a moronic criterion for success. Only something like 0.000008% of guys who play competitive high school football ultimately make it to that level. Speaking exclusively of high school students with 4.0+ GPAs out there have a better chance of getting into Harvard or Stanford. Do the ones who get in but finish near the bottom of the class "suck" at school?

That's why, despite that there are some phenomental athletes in MMA succeeding at the highest level, you don't see them trotting over to qualify for those positions. The bar is too high.

People's minds are dumb lol. Athleticism is a nebulous non-concept, but insofar as it exists it obviously has sports specific aspects (good for swimming isn't good for powerlifting etc) and has differing degrees of importance in different sports (it means EVERYTHING in simple shit like 100m and much less in creative, open environments like MMA where you can excel in lots of different ways and adapt your strategy to your physical attributes).

Fun question though. If you put 32 of the best NFL fatties in a sumo tournament with 32 top sumos, how would you expect them to do? How many make it to rounds 2 and 3 etc?

(it means EVERYTHING in simple shit like 100m and much less in creative, open environments like MMA where you can excel in lots of different ways and adapt your strategy to your physical attributes).

Who said otherwise ? Like height in basketball, it's just one aspect among others : someone can be very tall and still a bad basketball player.

Being athletic is helpful in some sports, but it's almost never the whole story.

We can say being athetic is necessary in many sports but not sufficient.

As simple as that.

However, i believe athleticism can compensate many shortcomings in some sports until a certain point, hence why Ngannou became an UFC champion despite being such a late starter for instance.

People's minds are dumb lol. Athleticism is a nebulous non-concept, but insofar as it exists it obviously has sports specific aspects (good for swimming isn't good for powerlifting etc) and has differing degrees of importance in different sports (it means EVERYTHING in simple shit like 100m and much less in creative, open environments like MMA where you can excel in lots of different ways and adapt your strategy to your physical attributes).

Fun question though. If you put 32 of the best NFL fatties in a sumo tournament with 32 top sumos, how would you expect them to do? How many make it to rounds 2 and 3 etc?

Athleticism is a nebulous non-concep

This says you've never participated in any form or sport at any capacity.

There are people that are simply faster, stronger, more agile, co-ordinated than other people. if they pick up a sport (any sport) they will do better than someone does not have those qualities.

To answer your bizarre question-
32 NFL "fatties" may not be able to compete against 32 elite/ highly trained Sumos.

But they would absolutely obliterate and make short work of just about any normal/average "fat" person due to their athleticism.

My dislike of him as a person aside, he's objectively not good at martial arts.

Team combat so I'm assuming it's some weird thing where different fighters jump in for different rds? No way in hell would Greg Hardy be able to go 17 rds lol.

Not back to back KO losses. Had two fights as part of the team events in May and won both.
upload_2023-6-5_14-3-22.png

Damn second KO loss in a row outside the UFC.
Also, 18 rounds? That’s Muhammad Ali - Joe Frazier stuff

Or it's 2 minute rounds?

Apparently this is part of some series, his Tapology page says he fought twice on May 18, but this latest event is not listed yet.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/169557-greg-hardy

I see there are now five pages on this thread so it's possible someone else already answered you, and probably better but here is my understanding of the Team Combat League.

Each team has a handful of guys, the "Matches" are 18 rounds with a 10-minute "halftime" after round 12. I believe you get a point for winning the round, and if you KO/TKO your opponent you get 2 points. I think fighters are only allowed to go 1 round at a time, but can fight multiple times in the night (as seen by Hardy's two wins in the past team event in May). Hope that helps a little.

Attachments

• upload_2023-6-5_14-3-11.png
    upload_2023-6-5_14-3-11.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 1
Only you believe that ice hockey is an athletic sport, a sport where you spend your whole time with skates on ice.

No wonder, there's not a single ice sport included in the athletics at Olympic Games (hence why it happens in summer too)
: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_Summer_Olympics#Men's_events

As for soccer, it's like expecting HWs having the same cardio than LWs, which is obviously a normal expectation <seedat>

Also if cardio is the only metric, then i guess Usain Bolt is not athletic.

Also i wonder why 100 meters is the most prestigious event in Olympic Games (summer and winter combined).

Everybody knows Usain Bolt while nobody knows a single marathonian gold medalist.

I bet Usain Bolt has good cardio...

I'm not sure what exactly this was, apparently an 18-round exhibition match, but Hardy got TKO'd in the 17th round.

Team combat so I'm assuming it's some weird thing where different fighters jump in for different rds? No way in hell would Greg Hardy be able to go 17 rds lol.

Damn second KO loss in a row outside the UFC.
Also, 18 rounds? That’s Muhammad Ali - Joe Frazier stuff

Or it's 2 minute rounds?

Apparently this is part of some series, his Tapology page says he fought twice on May 18, but this latest event is not listed yet.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/169557-greg-hardy

Rules:

"Our competitions employ a unique and exclusive point scoring system. Every match is 18 rounds (3 minutes each) of nonstop action with approximately 1 minute between each round. After the first 12 rounds, there is a 10 minute half-time."

<WhatIsThis>

TCL team based boxing. Shit sounded whack to me. Went to lunch with Ahmed Sheikh or whatever his name is who borrowed money from his pops to buy it. Nice guy, but terrible idea imo. He was trying to get a couple of my boys to help with marketing for it.

Again I will emphasize he is a very nice guy I enjoyed hanging out with him he seemed to really be trying to help fighters make money etc and do some cool stuff. I just really don’t like the format.

Even 2 minute rds, not happening lol.

Ali vs Frazier was 15 little brother.

Any person with half ass common sense wouldn't like that format really, lol.

That was a NICE 1-2!

[QUO="PaddyO'malley, post: 171261582, member: 589427"]

Apparently it's team format and they rotate between a team of 6 people over 18 rounds. Perfect for Hardy, IMO. More similar to the energy demands of handegg.

{<doc}[/QUOTE]

That dude that KO'd him has fought Joseph Parker and that old Cuban fucker though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Flores

18 rounds, da fuq? that's like some old-timey boxing rules, are they trying to get someone killed? At any rate.. quite the embarrassing decline for Hardy, he might as well sign up for Power Slap at this point.

haha I was thinking the same thing, I thought 18 rounds?? what?!! not heard that in centuries :D I thought it was a typo and its meant to be 8 rounds, but seems its not actually a typo.

I found the actual rules of this. You can check out the website here: https://teamcombatleague.com/

upload_2023-6-5_14-27-54.png

upload_2023-6-5_14-28-38.png

Maybe but i don't see him being good in the 800 meters, so it's relative.
being good enough to win a medal and having good cardio are two different things you know?

Back