Greg Hardy is the "A level" athlete that was supposed to outclass the entire ufc roster?

So was Cain when he got into the UFC, didn't stop him from beating the scrubs placed in front of him.
Umm you’re point? Completely 2 different individuals one being possible UFC GOAT. Is every green HW held to Cain’s standard? Cain also had an elite wrestling base which is fantastic for a mma transition. I don’t get your meaningless response

You don’t know what it takes to play football. That’s my point.

Yeah I do, I've played lots of football. 11 players on each side, 45 minute halves, 90 minutes match with a 15 minute break.
Zero fat players at the top level. You don't get to play for 5s with a 20s break a few times over 4 hours while going off the field to sit down for significant periods of time while your offence or defence take over.

Being in the NFL does not translate to MMA unless they start doing 10s rounds.

For years on here, I've had to read about how the UFC is sub-par athletes compared to the NFL and other traditional sports, but I'm not impressed. Can someone explain? Does Greg Hardly not count as an A level athlete or something?
You’re not taking the most important aspect of Experience into account. The A level athlete theory is pretty much proved by him getting this far on such limited experience/ starting MMA so late in life. If he would have chose some fighting art early in life instead of football.....

Matt Mitrione was an NFL washout that started MMa in his 30s
He was ranked top 10 and just knocked out who many consider the best HW ever with relative ease

Are you seriously pretending like Fedor is not hugely washed up and past it?

What a dumb comparison.

Mitrione hardly has a legit top 10 win, and this is during an extremely weak HW era.

Hardy is a great athlete, he just lacks skill.

Like brock was a better athelete than hardy, but lacked the skills for pro football.

To be fair he looked impressive (fast, great punching power) on SYTYCD.

Yeah I do, I've played lots of football. 11 players on each side, 45 minute halves, 90 minutes match with a 15 minute break.
Zero fat players at the top level. You don't get to play for 5s with a 20s break a few times over 4 hours while going off the field to sit down for significant periods of time while your offence or defence take over.

Being in the NFL does not translate to MMA unless they start doing 10s rounds.

Lmao have a good day

I played lots of football, you've never played rugby and I've never played American football so what's your point.

You're not an A Level athlete and neither am I but I swam to a pretty decent standard (just below National level and I've swum against Olympians) so I got closer than you did.

You swam. Nobody has ever swum. I don’t believe you.

I dont think he is an "A level athlete", his condition was shitty... 265 lbs of fat and muscles awful shape he needs to cut weight at least 10 pounds
This. Just because he used to play in the NFL years ago doesn't mean he is in the same shape as all the top NFL players now. He is clearly not in great cardio shape and most likely just trains throwing punches to try get the KO. He has morphed into a Derrick Lewis type slugger with a bit more athleticism that is only really there early in fights.

Makes you realise what a freak Brock was beating Mir, Randy, Heath Herring and Shane Carwin in his first 6 fights.

I don’t disagree, but being a high level D1 wrestler makes his situation a little different no?

I heard on bym podcast that he didn't physically beat that woman he just threw her into a pile of guns. I thought he full on beat her surely what he did is not as bad right? I mean we don't even know the details that led too that she could of been hitting him and he just pushed her to get her to stop and she fell. Not that it's ok to do that but do he need to be seen as he's just killed a baby or some thing.The illegal knee was just nieveity. Imo he paid his dues no need for a stupid mistake to ruin his life he still need to earn money and he's trying. Could of been a lot worse imo. I'm prepared to not hate and see how he does and not let his past sway my opinion of him.

I don’t disagree, but being a high level D1 wrestler makes his situation a little different no?

Yep, but there were a lot of people round here saying Hardy was such a good athlete he'd be HW champ in a couple of fights.

If only his girlfriend had avoided that initial flurry.

And came to the UFC when he was no longer athletically good enough to continue in pro ball. Tell the whole story.

Not true. He was still a good starting DE his last year in the league in 2015.

Dallas dropped him and nobody resigned him because of his off the field problems and not showing up to practice and stuff.

The whole myth that NFL and NBA players are the cream of the crop as far as athletic ability is concerned has always been and always will be a joke.

There are people out there who are gym warriors that would piece Lebron up even if he had the same amount of training Hardy did. Simply being a large (black) guy with some explosiveness isn't going to be enough to take down the top fighters in the world, who are ALSO ELITE ATHLETES WITH LIKELY BETTER CARDIO AND DURABILITY.

I think Francis would have knocked Greg Hardy flat the fuck out on his face tbh.

Again Mittrione was an nfl washout who started mma in his 30s.
His career as an athlete was OVER and got into mma and was ranked in the top 10.
He knocked out a celebrated "legend" with only years of training.
Its a testament to his superior athleticism that he could compete at the highest level AFTER his prime career
his 'career as an athlete' lasted all of 3 years and was dominated by injuries. and he started training mma in his mid to late 20s, that's not some over the hill burnout trying to start something too late. and it's pretty damn silly to keep bringing up fedor, who was so shot at that point he should have retired years earlier. that was tito beating ken, the win means just about nothing.

so you're not mentioning hardy at all - are you saying that hardy is in a better spot than mitrione was (i.e. a little younger or closer to his prime)? and if hardy doesn't do any better than mitrione, does that change anything?

spoiler: hardy ain't goin nowhere either.

Cut him some lack, even if he doesn't deserve it.
nah, he's a dick.

watching that walkout last night, i literally couldn't tell if he was playing the heel or he's just some kind of royal screwup.

Back