GSP/Usman the facts

dangerousD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of debate on here recently on who the WW GOAT is, mostly due to recency bias and casuals who never saw GSP fight. The same threads were being made about Woodley before he lost, is normal.

Here are the two WW resumes.

GSP
  • 9 consecutive UFC welterweight division title defences (BJ, Fitch, Koscheck 2x, Alves, Hardy, Shields, Condit, Diaz)
  • Opponents in UFC welterweight title fights combined winning percentage 82%
  • Most wins in UFC welterweight division (14)
  • Most wins in UFC welterweight title fights (12)
  • Most UFC welterweight title fights (14)
Usman
  • 4 consecutive UFC welterweight division title defences (Masvidal 2x, Colby, Burns)
  • Most consecutive wins in UFC welterweight division (14)
  • Opponents in UFC welterweight title fights combined winning percentage 72%

• I know the, UFC particularly Joe/Dana, love to proclaim every fighter as the GOAT and P4P best fighter on the planet after each PPV ends, but Usman needs a bit more on the resume here before he surpasses Georges.

usman does have 3 finishes in his title defenses out of 4 fights. snoozeman is no longer something we can call him

People give GSP shit for fighting smaller guys early in his career but now it seems like the reversal for Usman. Usman is definitely putting more people out i'll say that much. GSP almost chose to not finish half his fights in order to be perfecto.

Four title defenses does not qualify for goat status just yet.

three more defenses and then I’m ok with him possibly overtaking GSP. A KO on the resume for Usman certainly helps his case for goat status considering GSP doesn’t have a highlight reel KO on his resume.

GSP 28 fights (26-2)
15 title fights (54%)
4 of 28 against guys I never heard of (14%)
2 fights lost, title fights

Usman 20 fights (19-1)
5 title fights (25%)
10 of 20 against guys I never heard of (50%)
1 fight lost, against a guy I never heard of

Usman is doing well, and is still on his upward trajectory, but the numbers speak for themselves re GOAT. I know he’s the current exciting flavor, but be real he has a bit to go before he surpasses GSP’s legacy.

People give GSP shit for fighting smaller guys early in his career but now it seems like the reversal for Usman. Usman is definitely putting more people out i'll say that much. GSP almost chose to not finish half his fights in order to be perfecto.
Masvidal and Burns are both north of 180 in the cage

Serra and BJ barely even hit the 170 limit lmao

I didn’t realized gsp had that much title defense. Geez. But I still like gsp as the ww goat until further notice lol.

I appreciate what Usman is doing. He's legit and he deserves all the credit for what he's doing. Has he passed GSP? I don't think so. 9 title wins speaks for itself. He could pass him, but he hasn't yet.

I have to respect Usman now. He is finishing title fights. GSP couldn't do that during his WW run

I give the past credit for what it's brought us to today. If GSP hold no value today then Usman will hold no value in the future. I been watching fights for a lonngggg time, sometimes you just 'had to be there'.

I have to respect Usman now. He is finishing title fights. GSP couldn't do that during his WW run

True. But I’m torn. GSP faced better title challengers. I submit Usman’s 3 probably are not as good as GSP’s 3 worst title challengers were

True. But I’m torn. GSP faced better title challengers. I submit Usman’s 3 probably are not as good as GSP’s 3 worst title challengers were
Name the 3 worst GSP title challengers? I don't think it is going to be close. Usman has been fighting tough fights to get to Woodley too. He has pretty much 8 fights real hard fights recently. I always thought he didn't fight "good" guys in the beginning but he has been doing well with the big name opponents.

Burns is ADCC and Worlds gi/no-gi gold winner. His grappling suffered while leaving ATOS but it's still better than pretty much everyone on GSP's list outside of professional grapplers like Shields.

Colby is two time conference champion and won a world title in wrestling. Maybe only Hendrix is on par with him since he is two time conference winner too. The rest of GSP's opponents either won one or only placed in top 6.

Masvidal is the weakest link out of the list. His career in UFC is pretty much win 3 in a row and lose one or win 3 in a row and lose two in a row. He is pretty well rounded and decent striker.

Last edited:
In his prime, GSP lost to Serra (fully mounted and tapped to strikes) and Hendricks (controversial split decision that every single member of the media scored for Hendricks).

GSP evened up his record to 1:1 against Serra by winning the rematch. But he chose to vacate the belt instead of rematching Hendricks. His record against Matt Hughes is 2:1.

Usman has a perfect record in the UFC, 14-0, but it's really 16-0 because of his fights on TUF, which include a win over Michael Graves. Graves was undefeated at the time, and has only lost once since then. He was released from the UFC due to an arrest, but before that he beat Vicente Luque and Randy Brown.

GSP has lost multiple times over the course of 22 UFC fights. Hopefully, Usman will fight 6 more times in the UFC. Then we can see how many losses he has, if any.

Serra is much much worse than any of Usman's defenses. He fully mounted GSP and made him give up. It's nice that GSP won the rematch, but losing to Serra in your prime is incredibly damaging in terms of legacy.

Serra never came close to earning a title shot. He was on a novelty season of TUF for failed UFC prelim fighters that had been cut by the UFC or were on the verge of getting cut. Serra's 4-4 record meant he met that criteria. The winner of that season of washed up journeymen was ridiculously given a title shot against the UFC champ (GSP).

Dan Hardy was also considerably worse than any of Usman's challengers. Alves and Koscheck were shown to be overrated.

People really are delusional saying things like they never seen gsp fight or gsp chose not to finish his fights to be perfect..

Facts are usmen is 4 defences from tieing and becoming the new goat ww... Thats a long ways to go.

And gsp did his best every fight. And was one of te most boring fighters alive.

History that i lived.. And whats told today are 2 different things.

Gsp wasnt even as big of a deal as hes today then when he competed everyone cared about anderson silva and the stars in the 205 division mostly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back