Law Gun and Gun Control News/Discussion

We need more of this. These bans are pointless. Won’t stop any shootings.

That's a ridiculous assertion, banning guns definitely stop shootings. The question should be is the added safety against random shootings worth giving up our freedom for?

I assume they're waiting for Bianchi v Frosh.

Yeah, was hoping they'd call for it to be paused until that case settles

I don't think there's any real enforcement happening on it right now, but it's technically the law today

I'm surprised this tweet is still up. You'd think that one of the more heavily armed states (in their words) having a lower gun homicide rate than the national average would tell them something.

Nothing that ignorant shill posts surprises me . . .

NM's governor seems like a really stupid and unreasonable woman . . . .

So when she says no one should own an AR15 that also includes NMSP, right?

<BC1>

Oh . . . sure . . . you know that's what she means. And then to brag about all the "gun control" already in place that didn't work but pushing for more . . . please.

And of course the ATF has flip-flopped yet again about pistol braces. Despite what the ATF Director said in front of Congress, apparently simply having one now makes you a felon.

On January 13, 2023, the Attorney General signed ATF final rule 2021R-08F, “Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached ‘Stabilizing Braces,’” amending the regulatory definition of “rifle” to clarify when a firearm is designed, made, and intended to be fired from the shoulder. The final rule took effect on January 31, 2023, the date it was published in the Federal Register. Affected persons have 120 days from the date of publication to come into compliance, which is May 31, 2023. The compliance options provided under the final rule are the following:

• Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer rifled barrel to the firearm,
  • Permanently remove and dispose of, or alter, the “stabilizing brace” such that it cannot be reattached,
  • Turn the firearm into your local ATF office,
  • Destroy the firearm,
  • Register the firearm tax-free by May 31, 2023.
The option to register the firearm tax-free pursuant to ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F will be discontinued in the eForms System effective May 31, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. (ET).

For additional information regarding the final rule, including instructions on how to register your firearm, please visit: Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached “Stabilizing Braces” | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (atf.gov).

And of course the ATF has flip-flopped yet again about pistol braces. Despite what the ATF Director said in front of Congress, apparently simply having one now makes you a felon.

On January 13, 2023, the Attorney General signed ATF final rule 2021R-08F, “Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached ‘Stabilizing Braces,’” amending the regulatory definition of “rifle” to clarify when a firearm is designed, made, and intended to be fired from the shoulder. The final rule took effect on January 31, 2023, the date it was published in the Federal Register. Affected persons have 120 days from the date of publication to come into compliance, which is May 31, 2023. The compliance options provided under the final rule are the following:

• Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer rifled barrel to the firearm,
  • Permanently remove and dispose of, or alter, the “stabilizing brace” such that it cannot be reattached,
  • Turn the firearm into your local ATF office,
  • Destroy the firearm,
  • Register the firearm tax-free by May 31, 2023.
The option to register the firearm tax-free pursuant to ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F will be discontinued in the eForms System effective May 31, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. (ET).

For additional information regarding the final rule, including instructions on how to register your firearm, please visit: Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached “Stabilizing Braces” | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (atf.gov).
Yep, I was just watching the video mrgunsngear posted (I'm sure you got the same email he did as an FFL holder). Which means either the ATF has no clue that their director said otherwise in front of Congress last month or the director lied under oath.
Wouldn't surprise me if the ATF once again tried to classify a shoestring as a machine gun (yes, that actually happened).
Did you see the video of those assholes trying to entrapt the gun store owner in AZ over FRTs?

Yep, I was just watching the video mrgunsngear posted (I'm sure you got the same email he did as an FFL holder). Which means either the ATF has no clue that their director said otherwise in front of Congress last month or the director lied under oath.
Wouldn't surprise me if the ATF once again tried to classify a shoestring as a machine gun (yes, that actually happened).
Did you see the video of those assholes trying to entrapt the gun store owner in AZ over FRTs?

There has been so much back and forth related to this that the ATF is just doing nothing but confusing folks and making it 1000 times worse. I noticed they completely removed the previous guidance that stated replacing the standard buffer tube with a pistol buffer tube was acceptable.

Next thing you know, simply owning a barrel under 16" = constructive intent and/or an illegal SBR. This is pure stupidity at it's finest.

Yep . . . saw that FRT video. I suspect more like that related to braces are coming.

There has been so much back and forth related to this that the ATF is just doing nothing but confusing folks and making it 1000 times worse. I noticed they completely removed the previous guidance that stated replacing the standard buffer tube with a pistol buffer tube was acceptable.

Next thing you know, simply owning a barrel under 16" = constructive intent and/or an illegal SBR. This is pure stupidity at it's finest.

Yep . . . saw that FRT video. I suspect more like that related to braces are coming.
Have you been keeping with the Matt Hoover/CRS Firearms case? Unbelievable that a jury found them guilty. Apparently a drawing of a "machine gun" is now considered a federal felony. :confused:

Have you been keeping with the Matt Hoover/CRS Firearms case? Unbelievable that a jury found them guilty. Apparently a drawing of a "machine gun" is now considered a federal felony. :confused:

I heard about that fiasco as well.

And since the ATF is finding out from credit card companies who bought a FRT then they can do the same with people who bought a brace over the past 10+ years.
You know binary triggers are next too.

Ever notice that the government focuses on "assault weapons" even though handguns are FAR more commonly used in murder, mass shootings, and suicides.

It doesn't take an assault rifle to perform a mass shootings, heck one of the worst on record was done with a revolver and a pump action shotgun. Those kids in Newtown or Uvalde weren't going to survive against those monsters if they had brought a glock with him instead of his AR.

Heck it's a hell of a lot easier for an unarmed person to disarm a guy with a rifle in close quarters than a guy with a handgun.

So why the focus on Assault Rifles instead of handguns and shotguns? Could it be because a handgun or a shotgun is basically useless against a modern soldier? Who are they really trying to protect? themselves of the children?

And since the ATF is finding out from credit card companies who bought a FRT then they can do the same with people who bought a brace over the past 10+ years.
You know binary triggers are next too.
<Grimes01>

Ever notice that the government focuses on "assault weapons" even though handguns are FAR more commonly used in murder, mass shootings, and suicides.

It doesn't take an assault rifle to perform a mass shootings, heck one of the worst on record was done with a revolver and a pump action shotgun. Those kids in Newtown or Uvalde weren't going to survive against those monsters if they had brought a glock with him instead of his AR.

Heck it's a hell of a lot easier for an unarmed person to disarm a guy with a rifle in close quarters than a guy with a handgun.

So why the focus on Assault Rifles instead of handguns and shotguns? Could it be because a handgun or a shotgun is basically useless against a modern soldier? Who are they really trying to protect? themselves of the children?
Because "assault rifles" are relatively low hanging fruit; they're easier to characterize as "military issue" weapons, with "rapid fire" and "high capacity", that shoot "powerful cartridges" which "tumble, fragment, liquefy internal organs and decapitate 6 year olds".

Back