PlayStation GUNDAM BATTLE OPERATION 2-- PS4 free to play without PS Plus membership

GSP_37

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Who plays this? I saw it didn't need PS Plus membership, so tried it.

Seems like it takes forever to get any good mobile suits and need to be a punching bag for others for a while. Seems to even qualify to buy a better weapon, I must be a high enough rank. Even against others who appear to be rookies, I'm getting lowest score and may not have been on a winning team yet.

The training says you can increase damage by crouching + using long range sniper mode, but in game is so fast and chaotic, you can't really do that.

I loved the armored core games and Zone of the Enders. Does it play similarly to either of those?

I loved the armored core games and Zone of the Enders. Does it play similarly to either of those?
I only played Armored Core on PS1 and GBO2 is probably better, not just talking graphics. So far, it's team vs. team, not level/mission maze game like AC. It's free to download and free to play and doesn't require paying for PSN, so no harm in trying. If you are a Gundam nerd, it's even more incentive to try. I got lucky from random drop to get a decent Gundam suit that has long range bazooka. What I really want is Char's anti-ship rifle from Gundam The Origin, but seems like only two suits can use it, but there are other long range rifles but haven't compared the power yet.

In less than a day, got used to the controls enough and learned how to do some stuff to help the team win, and it's pretty fun, but seems like a ton of grinding.

I suspect long time vets are disguising themselves as rookies and using low cost mobile suits, but with tons of really high level add on parts. Some of these guys' suits are so fast and powerful with the melee weapons. I have so much difficulty even turning to face the enemy to attempt a strike.

So far, it's like hunt like a pack of wolves and tear apart the other team one unlucky victim at a time or hope no one notices you speed to the enemy base to plant a bomb.

One bad thing is your 3rd person display doesn't do a good job of marking enemy players and sometimes hard to tell enemy from teammate or I'm still too green.

I only played Armored Core on PS1 and GBO2 is probably better, not just talking graphics. So far, it's team vs. team, not level/mission maze game like AC. It's free to download and free to play and doesn't require paying for PSN, so no harm in trying. If you are a Gundam nerd, it's even more incentive to try. I got lucky from random drop to get a decent Gundam suit that has long range bazooka. What I really want is Char's anti-ship rifle from Gundam The Origin, but seems like only two suits can use it, but there are other long range rifles but haven't compared the power yet.

In less than a day, got used to the controls enough and learned how to do some stuff to help the team win, and it's pretty fun, but seems like a ton of grinding.

I suspect long time vets are disguising themselves as rookies and using low cost mobile suits, but with tons of really high level add on parts. Some of these guys' suits are so fast and powerful with the melee weapons. I have so much difficulty even turning to face the enemy to attempt a strike.

So far, it's like hunt like a pack of wolves and tear apart the other team one unlucky victim at a time or hope no one notices you speed to the enemy base to plant a bomb.

One bad thing is your 3rd person display doesn't do a good job of marking enemy players and sometimes hard to tell enemy from teammate or I'm still too green.
Tbh I don't know too much about Gundam's lore and whatnot. I did watch the whole series of Gundam Wing and the movie Last Waltz back on toonami back in the day.
If the controls are good and it's not pay to win won't hurt to give it a shot like you said. Is it heavily gear dependant or could you win based off of just skill?

I used to play the first version of this in the arcade when I lived in Japan. All of the cabinets have net play and you play with and against people from all over Japan.

It's EPIC.

Sieg Zeon!

Tbh I don't know too much about Gundam's lore and whatnot. I did watch the whole series of Gundam Wing and the movie Last Waltz back on toonami back in the day.
If the controls are good and it's not pay to win won't hurt to give it a shot like you said. Is it heavily gear dependant or could you win based off of just skill?
I wouldn't say controls are good, but takes getting used to and doing tutorials which pay out stuff redeemable for stuff. I think controls are better than PS1 Armored Core for sure. Controls aren't bad considering it's 360 degree movement freedom + up/down in space. You can't really hover, but jump up and slowly descend like Armored Core. There's no lock-on missiles. There's nothing to point out where the enemy is afar if he's not moving or is moving and energy bar wasn't freshly diminished a bit from damage. Your long range weapons don't have limitless range. I only recently learned you can use your jetpack in pilot mode to zoom to your mobile suit after re-spawn, which is faster than running.

If you haven't watched at least the movie condensed versions of Gundam 0079 and Zeta Gundam, you're missing out. I only watched a tiny bit of Gundam Wing and didn't like the angry teenaged boys or the mobile suits. Amuro and Camille were angry at times too, but at least I kinda understood they had a good reason to be and they didn't have the badass egos of Gundam Wing.

As a day old rookie, the vast majority of the games I was on losing teams, but when I used the lucky drop better Gundam in cost cap room, I did contribute to wins even though I didn't score anywhere high. If you don't have better suits or parts to melee kill enemies, at least you can speed to enemy base and plant a bomb or disarm a bomb planted on your base or chip in damage on enemy where you team up with teammate and double team one enemy or call in airstrike. This is free-to-play, so you will get good stuff to use via real life $$$ or via lucky drop and/or grinding. You can play unlimited sorties, I think, but limited to stable internet connection to the matching server or whatevers, as well as presence of other players to fill two teams. In one login session, the network connection to a room can vary from no bars to one bar to three bars. Only time I tried to stay to sortie with no bars, the room fell apart right after attempting to launch.

Regardless of skill, you won't make a big impact without offensive power, defense, speed, agility, knowing what to do.

I used to play the first version of this in the arcade when I lived in Japan. All of the cabinets have net play and you play with and against people from all over Japan.

It's EPIC.

Sieg Zeon!

Have you tried GBO2 on PS4? Every Gundam fan should.

Each time I play this, I end up playing longer than intended.

I just rearranged my shelf to bring forward my 1/144 Gunpla.

Have you tried GBO2 on PS4? Every Gundam fan should.

Each time I play this, I end up playing longer than intended.

I just rearranged my shelf to bring forward my 1/144 Gunpla.

I let my son take the PS4 when he went off to college and I held onto the Xbone. :( Well, if Phantasy Star Online 2 can make it to the U.S., I'll hold onto hope that Gundam will too.

I let my son take the PS4 when he went off to college and I held onto the Xbone. :( Well, if Phantasy Star Online 2 can make it to the U.S., I'll hold onto hope that Gundam will too.
GBO2 is available for USA PS4. It has subtitles, but in-game radio commentary/status alerts are in Japanese.

No need an asian PSN account for this, but for SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (bought mine on Amazon from 3rd party seller) and the sequel Cross Rays, you just need a SEAsian Singapore PSN account and Singapore PSN money card for DLC. If you haven't tried this, it's really fun like Super Robot Wars strategy, but the first one is only Universal Century. The sequel has the other non-UC. You basically recreate the big battles from the cartoon and spinoffs and acquire various suits and I think if you upgrade some suits and have the right ones, you can upgrade them into some higher level suit.

getting through the tutorial like

<codychoke>

ready to delete this shit lol
Was feeling similar with one, but figured you have to keep one enemy between you and 2nd enemy where not sure if far enemy shoots the 1st enemy in the back, and also try to slash both enemies at same time, then runaway to run out the clock.

So far finished each tutorial attempted. (Edit: Finished all tutorials, eventually)

Last edited:
So after doing more tutorials and learning few more advanced tricks, being on winning team and killing enemy players aren't such a rare occurence anymore.

After browsing mobile suit stats, realized I must let the suit dictate my role: if range attacks strong, play sniper or safe distance shooting, if melee attack & defense strong, go melee. No point in sword fighting if the suit is weak at it.

Also realized from youtube vid you can choose to respawn inside the suit and at a captured forward beacon. Gives you more time to fight.

Really fun game. PS4 gets hot fast though.

Can't stop playing this, not just because of the daily login freebies.

Due to just playing whatever rule set the available rooms are set for, am using a variety of medium and low tier mobile suits and starting to pay attention to the finer points of each like the weapons. Right now I'm liking the ballistic rapid fire machine guns, but just got zapped by some long range beam weapon that did huge damage, which has me curious what beam guns I could use.

Just learned if my mobile suit is Lv.1, can't use a Lv.4 weapon in cost limit rooms. I blew a bunch of credits on buying progressively higher level gun and can't use it.

Turns out a GM has higher specs than a particular Gundam. I assumed all named Gundams were more powerful than lowly no-name GM's.

This actually doesn't look to bad. I'm a gundam fan so I'm going to try this out.

When I was trying to decide whether to buy Gundam Versus, I watched youtube vids and was like this is too complicated and not for me. I'm assuming GBO2 can't be too different from Gundam Versus.

Four days after first trying GBO2, I got used to the controls enough to really enjoy this game. Turns out I already played over 100 battles and finished almost all the tutorial challenges.

One thing that is really irritating is maybe more than half the time, I get the message saying internet speed not sufficient and end up not being able to successfully sortie or even launch or wait to launch. In one login, I'll vary from zero bars of internet, to two, to three without doing anything. I even tried turning phone and tablet to airplane mode and didn't seem to help. I had times the room fall apart before sortie officially started, and times I successfully finished a sortie with zero internet bars of connection. A few other times in the sortie, I couldn't see any other players as if they all deserted or I got disconnected, but it acted like I finished properly and didn't get penalized. Maybe everyone else anger quit towards the end.

Also, irritating are these loser turds with nothing else to do in life, entering rooms, not pressing sortie, but waiting and running out the clock making everyone else wait for nothing and wait again for room to fill up again. They should be permanently banned from PSN.

After preferring machine guns, I tried and got to like the beam pistols and rifles. They can't rapid fire, but one shot properly aimed will do more damage.

Some of these players really suck and are clueless, and some who appear with low ratings are absolutely vicious and will shred you to pieces quick and easy. I'm guessing they have all the best add-on parts available. Sometimes I'll go in thinking I'll stay close to the team and then will spot and engage an enemy and my wingmen totally ran away instead of helping destroy the enemy. When one player is totally ganged up on by 4 or 5 players, makes you wonder what your teammates are even doing to allow so many opposing team members to gang up.

I was going to spend credits to buy a Gouf like Ramba Ral's, then today, apparently the Recycle store has new offerings each day and had it and I had enough tickets to buy it. Planning to buy a Gouf Custom with gatling gun shield.

It's hard to get bored with this game since there are so many suits to use with different types of weapons, also a variety of battlefield locations. You could tell Bandai put a lot of thought into this game.

I am hooked on this game's token system that lets you have a shot at random misc stuff. I luckily had enough tokens for the freshly available 50% off pull for 10 pulls, but most of what I got was weapons for suits I don't have, so can't use. Got 2 new suits and 1 repeat.

I think I need to go back to machine guns instead of beam rifle. Too hard to aim for a beam shot during crazy time.

Seems like if you let your suit sit in the hangar for 3 days, you earn points to accumulate to use to upgrade the suit. Would take forever.

In one match today, a few times in one battle, I saw what looked like short distance teleportation. Probably internet lag. Some of these guys slash me where I could have swore they couldn't reach me. Could be internet lag too.

After about a week playing this, went from rarely ever being on winning team to putting together a decent win streak and bumped my Rating up two levels, but shitty teammates made it go down and back up and down and back. Turns out if your Rating is higher and you play in Ratings matches, you get more money and EXP pts.

Tried to Google if any easter eggs in the base camp or anything and learned the Battle Simulator has 3 challenges where you could win parts or RX-78 Lv.3 or so. If you clear these under the time limit, you get a different tier prize, but it's really near impossible so far without the best reload and power parts. You can sample Zeta Gundam and Hyaku Shiki, and face off against giant Psycho Gundam which is easy if you know what to do. One of the prize parts increased range attack power, but takes up a lot of slots.

Ended up getting a drop of Zaku Cannon, bought the higher level machine gun for it. It's got big power, but extremely slow.

After one week, I can confirm if you know the rules of the game, take advantage of the free mobile suits from random drops and challenge rewards, you can hang and do well against your peers who have better mobile suits. I didn't spend any real life money so far, but Bandai does deserve some reasonable compensation for this fun game.

I don't yet have any really good big name mobile suits and mostly use whatever I got for free because I don't have enough credits or rank to buy the suits used by the main characters.

I found that during my win streak, the team mostly did a good job of seizing the re-spawn points so enemies couldn't instantly appear somewhere and overwhelm one or two players, and did a decent job of staying close together rather than leaving your wingman to get outnumbered and mauled.

After trying many times to beat the Battle Simulator survival 5 minute challenge using my best melee mobile suit and failing like :15 over, used my very slow Zaku Cannon with powerful ballistic guns and got it done. The prize is a HP+ part that goes on slots other than the slots the normal HP+ part goes, so very useful... or maybe it was the melee power+ part.

Still can't get the Zeta one done in under 5 minutes since can't use your own suit. Those enemy targets move around too much to shoot beam rifle at them.

Back