Gym bullies--does talking to them ever help?

Another good point, the guys that train, but dont fight....to them the spar is the "fight" this thread just reminded me of a old long forgotten douche. Who is now a bjj black belt. Dangerous skills for a ego tuff guy type douche to have.

Yeah that's good advice to encourage the new guy. I'm a little older so I feel protective of people. I very much dislike bullying.

I trained at home the last couple of days. The more I think about it, the angrier I've become. On Monday the coach is going to hear it from me. He failed to protect his students and I'm not okay with it. I will escalate to the owner if necessary. I'm not putting up with this shit.

It's a tough one.
You already have good advice here.
I also think talking to the bully doesn't really achieve anything. The coach should already know and if not that worries me, and it's really not your job.
I'd give friendly advice to the noob, "Saw you had a tough round there! Honestly that's me most weeks. When you're already tired and you get someone who goes a bit rough, you can try and last through it a while, but don't be afraid to tap out while youre still learning. All good training partners will understand, we've all been there." Get's a small dig in at the bully if you want them to hear too ;) You could just wait to another session, "Saw you had a tough round last week, don't worry about it! etcetc, try XYZ next time!"

I will also talk to the instructor. He should not have allowed any of that to happen

I think this is the main point. You should have pointed it out right there and then. Right when it happened or at the latest when the session is finished. There can be legit reasons to go a little harder and then it would have been explained or critiziced or you would have known that this gym is not for you because the coach cant control his students. But I get it, gym culture can be a little cult like very hierarchical in that people dont feel free to speak up.

Last edited:
Gym bullies are guys who train quite often but either don't fight or never win their fights, so on sparring day they pair up with new guys or smaller guys, so they can try and get that rare W in the ring. We had one gym bully at my gym a pro who was 0 - 8. Dude always went 100% and then acted upset if you bombed him back lmao.
Deaths head?

Yeah that's good advice to encourage the new guy. I'm a little older so I feel protective of people. I very much dislike bullying.

I trained at home the last couple of days. The more I think about it, the angrier I've become. On Monday the coach is going to hear it from me. He failed to protect his students and I'm not okay with it. I will escalate to the owner if necessary. I'm not putting up with this shit.

so how did it go brother ?

Back