Half Life: Alyx (critically acclaimed across the board)

Not saying this is going to be good but the amount of people doubting it before even seeing it is pretty crazy. I've used VR on the PS4 and it was pretty impressive. On a nice gaming rig, with a legit company putting real money behind a good VR game? You could get something special.

Not saying this is going to be good but the amount of people doubting it before even seeing it is pretty crazy. I've used VR on the PS4 and it was pretty impressive. On a nice gaming rig, with a legit company putting real money behind a good VR game? You could get something special.

Gamers might be the most entitled subgroup in all media

Acting like Valve owes them Half Life 3

Quiet pathetic really

I read that this game is set between Half Life 1 and Half Life 2

Its going to have G man and other returning characters

Its going to be a proper Half Life video game
i’m frankly over it. half life as a franchise came and went and while they were brilliant games, its time is done. without a big budget and a good attitude, a sequel is going to be shit and gabe has become one of the most negative, stubborn figures in gaming.

I am interested, but one game isn't worth purchasing a VR setup for. I don't plan on purchasing any VR set until the headset is smaller, but I am glad that at least some of them are now wireless. The size and wire were the two biggest things holding me back.

i’m frankly over it. half life as a franchise came and went and while they were brilliant games, its time is done. without a big budget and a good attitude, a sequel is going to be shit and gabe has become one of the most negative, stubborn figures in gaming.

What's Gaben been doing lately that's that bad?

What's Gaben been doing lately that's that bad?
he’s always had shitty opinions but for the last decade he’s decided to sit back and rake in billions off paid mods, microtransactions, & steam sales rather than use his resources to develop a game that’s worth a shit. he’s never been scared to voice his garbage opinions but never listens to the worthwhile opinions of his paying customers.

he’s always had shitty opinions but for the last decade he’s decided to sit back and rake in billions off paid mods, microtransactions, & steam sales rather than use his resources to develop a game that’s worth a shit. he’s never been scared to voice his garbage opinions but never listens to the worthwhile opinions of his paying customers.

I dunno. You're sounding a lot more negative than Gaben.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the frustration that at this point we'll never see the closure to Gordon Freeman's story. I feel your pain.

At the same time I understand that from a practical point of view their actions make sense. Steam is a billion dollar platform. It makes sense they'd be putting resources into that as opposed to making a game that will likely cause people to voice overwhelmingly negative opinions as loud as they can no matter what.

This is just my opinion, but over the last couple decades gamers have progrresively gotten more whiny, entitled ,and ungrateful and angered over what are sometimes completely minor details if not completely manufactured ones. I think this has had more implications with what developers do than people realize. Why spend 5 years of blood, sweat and tears, pouring yourself into something only to see a rabid fanbase shred it and dismiss it on the most inconsequential details?

I don't think that's the only reason Valve hasn't done a new HL game. But I certainly think it's a factor in their decision.

I dunno. You're sounding a lot more negative than Gaben.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the frustration that at this point we'll never see the closure to Gordon Freeman's story. I feel your pain.

At the same time I understand that from a practical point of view their actions make sense. Steam is a billion dollar platform. It makes sense they'd be putting resources into that as opposed to making a game that will likely cause people to voice overwhelmingly negative opinions as loud as they can no matter what.

This is just my opinion, but over the last couple decades gamers have progrresively gotten more whiny, entitled ,and ungrateful and angered over what are sometimes completely minor details if not completely manufactured ones. I think this has had more implications with what developers do than people realize. Why spend 5 years of blood, sweat and tears, pouring yourself into something only to see a rabid fanbase shred it and dismiss it on the most inconsequential details?

I don't think that's the only reason Valve hasn't done a new HL game. But I certainly think it's a factor in their decision.
you and i both know a genuinely great video game is never whined about. there’s a plethora of video games that have been universally loved over the last decade

you and i both know a genuinely great video game is never whined about. there’s a plethora of video games that have been universally loved over the last decade

Eh, great is relative more as often as not. I've never been a big fan of the GTA games. Some people think D3 is great.

But even so, being "great" shouldn't be the bar for a game to not get hated on. Nothing wrong with a game being good.

The way Valve is structured internally, Gabe doesn’t decree what will be worked on, not exactly. If you’ve never read the Valve employee handbook, it’s an interesting read.

Gabe can propose the idea like anyone else but it needs significant backing from enough people in the studio to make it. But he can’t force anyone to do it without compromising the culture of the company (which goes a long way to recruiting and retaining the high-level talent they have).

edit: here an article from the last couple of years about it: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-talks-about-its-unusual-company-structure/1100-6447954/

Last edited:
Valve is the kind of company that could make a game that paves the way for what good, compelling VR gameplay could be. I don’t expect them to do a gimmick game; why? They aren’t hurt for money and know they have big shoes to fill. I don’t think a game like this would’ve received significant internal support if it were just a gimmick or rehashed idea.

It’s risky because of the general disappointment with VR but if I’d give any company a shot at pulling it off it’s Valve. Plus if it ends up sucking (or even falling short of great) they’ll probably just can it and move on. Again, the money isn’t the issue.

How in the hell are they doing character movement?

Last edited:
Its not breaking, its 48 hours old, and there's already a thread about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back