Has a fighter ever taken a beating where you genuinely felt sorry for them?

The Tanner/Franklin fight was the first UFC event I ever witnessed live. It was so bad and Evan's face was so messed up that there were fans in the crowd screaming for the ref to stop the fight. I think I was one of them. It was just a prolonged beating for almost 4 rounds. You could hear a collective sigh of relief once the fight was called, and I don't think Tanner ever fully recovered mentally form it (RIP).

I remember the blood continuing to drip down his face as they were trying to stop the bleeding, and Tanner saying "bullshit" when they called it.

I felt bad for Shogun after hellish beating he took at the hands of Jones. Any time I feel a guy is too durable or stubborn for his own good I feel bad for him.

90% of sherdog and Underground felt bad for Sak after Sak v Arona.

The general disdain for Arona didn't help. He was always respected as a skillful fighter, but not admired by very many (except a vocal few).

Yeah Rory Macdonald Vs Lawler and Wonderboy.

They ended his career too. He was never the same after those fights. He’s a shell of his former self.

The Tanner/Franklin fight was the first UFC event I ever witnessed live. It was so bad and Evan's face was so messed up that there were fans in the crowd screaming for the ref to stop the fight. I think I was one of them. It was just a prolonged beating for almost 4 rounds. You could hear a collective sigh of relief once the fight was called, and I don't think Tanner ever fully recovered mentally form it (RIP).

Tanner was too tough for his own good. That guy was literally getting hit with everything Rich threw at him. His face was a mess.

Was weird in 2 and 3 JDS was still trying to fight but just had it beaten out of him usually fighters just go completely defensive

Despite the ending, I remember him putting up a better fight in 3 than in 2.

Others have mentioned the Arona fight, but pretty much every fight Sakuraba lost when he was past it and being held together by tape, braces, and spirit.

I wish the MMA Gods had been nicer to him.

Joe Daddy getting absolutely demolished by BJ Penn
DT7pY--WkAAvPBP.jpg
I was just waiting until I got to work to find this picture.

Joe Daddy v BJ. The look on his bloody face was disheartening.

Before that? Okay, at what fight do you think he should have retired and why?
He was 5-6 in the fights leading up to that one, and not much better after that; yet was taking on a bigger, skilled fighter. His time was late 90's to early 2000's, he was pretty CTE-dead by the time of that fight (which didn't help).

I forgot her name but she was a former drug addict with many tattoos. She fought Valentina for her flyweight debut. We never saw Valentina as a real finisher in 135 but 125 Valentina ragdolled this girl and beat her pretty badly.

Ive felt bad for semmy shilt vs Sergei

Some giant Silva beat downs too

Big nog getting marked always upsets me

Back