Has a fighter ever won by "robbery", and also admitted they lost?

Rampage vs Ninja Rua

Lauzon said he thought he lost to Marcin Held

Also remember when one judge scored the Felder RDA fight for Felder and he just shook his head in disbelief knowing he lost
Lauzon vs Held is the best example for me. Probably cause Held is from my city and he was a really good prospect. Seeing him lose a clear decision that should have gone to him was brutal. Joe Lauzon was a complete class act though, will always respect him for that.

Blachowicz took the higher road in his draw that almost everyone thought he had lost.

The instant reaction to a robbery when they know they lost is usually interesting, ie, Moraes vs Aldo.

I notice that during controversial fights where most would consider it a robbery,, the person who won usually declares they felt they won, e.g. Paddy beating Gordon, and today Haney beating Loma (not sure if it was a robbery, only saw highlights)

Has there been any instance where a fight was a clear robbery, and the fighter who was awarded the win admitted they felt they lost?

Also, do you think that would earn more respect from fans, by being the bigger man and admitting you robbed your opponent and should have lost?
Jan vs Uncle Aev.
He even said so in the post fight interview.

No to which part? He did backtrack on it. I guess every decision is subjective but lyoto did even less than rampage in that fight IMO. Although i have not seen it for years.
Nothing happened in rounds 1 and 2. In round 3 Machida attacked and landed some. That's it, nothing else happened.

By UFC rules you could argue that Page won 29-28 because he kinda sorta more or less plodded forward for 2 rounds, giving him both 10-9 for "aggression", since no damage was done. But that's the huge flaw of the 10-9 must system because if those two rounds are 10-9 then the last one where finally some damage was done theoretically should have been scored 10-8 for Machida due to the scale of difference. That would have been ridiculous though, because a round with one successful blitz can't be a 10-8.

That's why the ideal score for that fight would be 10-10, 10-10 and 10-9 for Machida, making it 30-29 for Machida. Just barely winning but winning nonetheless based on the most important criteria: damage.

TLDR: Machida would have rightfully won if the two opening rounds were scored 10-10 due to lack of action from both sides. We need more 10-10 rounds in MMA.

PS. Media and fans gave it to Machida.
http://mmadecisions.com/decision/2030/fight

PPS. Sherdog's Chris Nelson scored the fight 30-29 Machida just like I did.
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-123-Results-Live-PlaybyPlay-28239
FightMetric had it as a draw, which would've also been fine and fair enough.

Last edited:
Nothing happened in rounds 1 and 2. In round 3 Machida attacked and landed some. That's it, nothing else happened.

By UFC rules you could argue that Page won 29-28 because he kinda sorta more or less plodded forward for 2 rounds, giving him both 10-9 for "aggression", since no damage was done. But that's the huge flaw of the 10-9 must system because if those two rounds are 10-9 then the last one where finally some damage was done theoretically should have been scored 10-8 for Machida due to the scale of difference. That would have been ridiculous though, because a round with one successful blitz can't be a 10-8.

That's why the ideal score for that fight would be 10-10, 10-10 and 10-9 for Machida, making it 30-29 for Machida. Just barely winning but winning nonetheless based on the most important criteria: damage.

TLDR: Machida would have rightfully won if the two opening rounds were scored 10-10 due to lack of action from both sides. We need more 10-10 rounds in MMA.

PS. Media and fans gave it to Machida.
http://mmadecisions.com/decision/2030/fight

PPS. Sherdog's Chris Nelson scored the fight 30-29 Machida just like I did.
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-123-Results-Live-PlaybyPlay-28239
FightMetric had it as a draw, which would've also been fine and fair enough.
That's not a fair assesment of the fight. Things did happen in rounds 1 and 2. Not a lot but still. The td in the second and machidas backpeddaling lost him the two first rounds. And rampage did a decent job of cutting him off.
The media and fans get a lot of decisions wrong.
Anyways it was not a great fight and I would love to see some rule changes, I don't think more 10-10 rounds is the solution we have all been looking for but maybe I'm wrong. Ofc after watching the entire fight it would have felt more fair if they gave it to Machida after the third round but this is what happened when fights get scored round by round.

edit: i forgot to delete a bit while i was responding!

Last edited:
That's not a fair assesment of the fight. Things did happen in rounds 1 and 2. Not a lot but still. The td in the second and machidas backpeddaling lost him the two first rounds. And rampage did a decent job of cutting him off.
Anyways it was not a great fight and I would love to see some rule changes, I don't think more 10-10 rounds is the solution we have all been looking for but maybe I'm wrong. Ofc after watching the entire fight it would have felt more fair if they gave it to Machida after the third round but this is what happened when fights get scored round by round.

Yes, things did happen but they equaled each other out. For example, Page got a takedown in Rnd2 and Machida got a knockdown also in Rnd2.

And I think You prove my point by saying "Ofc after watching the entire fight it would have felt more fair if they gave it to Machida after the third round but this is what happened when fights get scored round by round."

Page won the rounds, Machida won the fight - ergo, the scoring system is flawed.

Last edited:
Yes, things did happen but they equaled each other out. For example, Page got a takedown in Rnd2 and Machida got a knockdown also in Rnd2.

And I think You prove my point by saying "Ofc after watching the entire fight it would have felt more fair if they gave it to Machida after the third round but this is what happened when fights get scored round by round."

Page won the rounds, Machida won the fight - ergo, the scoring system is flawed.
Knockdown at the end of the round was a trip really if thats the one you are talking about. No I did not. We don't score fight by criteria we wish would be implemented. Anyone is free to disagree but it was a close fight and there is nothing weird about rampage getting the nod.

First round Machida should have won by landing leg kicks. Yes, Rampage plodded forward. Yes, Machida landed the only strikes of note (leg kicks) that round.

Then Machida rocked Rampage and had him in trouble in the third.

The firt round of that fight was analogous to the first round of Yan-Sterling II. Subjective and very close, but they got it right with Aljo and wrong with Rampage.

Knockdown at the end of the round was a trip really if thats the one you are talking about. No I did not. We don't score fight by criteria we wish would be implemented. Anyone is free to disagree but it was a close fight and there is nothing weird about rampage getting the nod.
I do agree that it was a close fight and there is nothing weird about rampage getting the nod with the existing 10-point-must ruleset. Stay cool, mr Pengiun. ;]

I do agree that it was a close fight and there is nothing weird about rampage getting the nod with the existing 10-point-must ruleset. Stay cool, mr Pengiun. ;]
You aswell sherbro. I agree that with a ruleset better suited for mma machida is the winner.

blachowicz said 'i did not win that fight', straight out, in one of the post-fight interviews. i think it might have been the last one he had (although that was a draw).

That was a rough spot for him, though. He had just finished an exhausting 25 minutes and probably had very little memory (at the time) of anything past the last round or two. Plus, Rogan was essentially goading him into saying he lost.

Ali said that Ken Norton beat him even though the judges gave him the decision. He said he was greatful for the judges lol. Said he didn't want to fight him again and said his style was too difficult for him to deal with.

The Asian guy was gifted the decision against Roy Jones in the Olympics shook his head and raised Roy Jones' hand as the real winner. This is probably the worst robbery in history to boot lol.

Holland said he felt like he didn't deserve the win over Darren Stewart. He gassed late and got outgrappled despite having early success. He thought Stewart might have won a 10-8 in the third round. Not sure if he commented on Round 2.

Back