Has anyone here ever opened a restaurant?

There is probably better ways to invest an inheritance. What skills do you bring to the restaurant? Are you a chef? Do you have any experience in the industry? If all you bring is passion then you will have to hire the skill, and your passion may not be enough. Long hours and potentially low returns, and hospitality is littered with sketchy and unprofessional staff. Good luck.

Listen to your friends wife. She sounds like the only smart person out of the three.

If you truly want it, go for it. Money, like everything, comes and goes. Just ready yourself for the consequences, whatever they turn out to be.

My brother in law opened a restaurant with his friend from HS. It wasn't a happy story. They bought a successful restaurant downtown St. Louis. The original owner was older and looking to retire. B-law's friend had already started 3 other restaurants that were successes. What ended up hurting the businesses, what they believe caused it to quickly fail, is that they made the new place non smoking. With that change they lost most of the previous customers, I was told. the restaurants failure caused his friends wife to divorce her husband on top of things.

On better news, around the corner from my parents home lives a successful restaurant owner. He and his partners own something like 5 restaurants around the area. He lives in a big pink home, with one of his cars being an older convertible pink Cadillac with bull horns on the front. Not sure why his place and car are pink as his restaurants are not that color.

This idea is not good

What is the prices, what is the menu, are you going to fork put money for quality employees or do all the work yourself and hire teenagers. 3rd graders have more detailed plans. What are the DETAILS

You can't just open a restaurant and make money, ppl will go to their classics

One of the worst ideas you could do and also at the worst time. The restaurant industry is dying due to high prices and a recession where people can’t afford to eat out. They’re getting fucked by both ends.

My family owned/operated a restaurant for 30+ years until my father died and my mom got old. They sold it pre-Covid and now they do takeout only. It’s a shame - it’s a big ass building that was fully licensed and was a happening spot back in the day.

Back