HEAVYWEIGHT COACH (why the average coach shouldn't be training heavy weights)

spazzing out ain't gonna save you.

Spazz-ercise is the best form of cardio for heavyweights. However, if you're caught doing it as a kid they put you into a remedial physical education class and feed you running propaganda until you submit. Science has shown that spazzercise also softens your brain, inhibits common sense, and fucks with reading comprehension....so I think the schools have the right idea. Can't have a bunch of illiterate, spastic, fatasses causing a ruckus, LARPing as S&C coaches, and spouting bullshit all over the internet.

But Sherdog is the wild west. Clearly anything goes.

Last edited:
Lot's of whataboutism in that post.

I don't think anyone here is saying you should run more than you participate in skilled training. Skilled training should always take priority. However, at the highest level the margin for victory is often razor thin and with skillsets being nearly even already, supplementary work for cardio and strength will allow you to push harder than your opponent. Having a bigger gas tank built on something simple like running can be a huge advantage at any weightclass. We've all seen fights where the more skilled fighter gasses or lacks strength in certain areas and it ends up costing him/her the fight. See; BJ Penn's career. That's what happens when you only do skilled training and ignore your conditioning. His best years were during the time when Marv Marinovich was really pushing him to actually exercise outside of rolling, sparring, and hitting pads to improve his cardio.

Is running a cure all for everyone's cardio problems? No. Will it help? Yes, but with everything there's a point of diminishing returns. I do believe that running creates a strong base from which to work. If you're able to improve stroke volume and Vo2 max through a simple and effective task like running then you've opened up the doors to take your cardio a step further with things like HIIT, sprints, Tabata intervals, and overall being able to push harder during your skilled training. It's ok, you don't have to like running, but ignoring it is likely a mistake.

...so if you have 10 hrs per week of available training time how many hours would you spend running vs actual MMA training?

Do you believe running will produce more or less appliable cardio than grappling?

What an informative cartoon.

Ok, now I #get it. More testosterone + no running = unstoppable monster. Mark Coleman had the right idea by eating Clen, Trenning hard, Anavar giving up.

A balanced approach to training is always best however if you have precious little training time you shouldn't waste it doing something like running

Do bag work, grappling, Full Tilt MMA, swimming or riding a bike

Why do something like running which is a pretty weak form of cardio compared to what you get out of MMA training

My Athletes Performance went through the roof when we eliminated running from our wrestling program and spent all our time wrestling instead

We literally saw an instant Improvement across the board however in heavyweight it was most noticeable

Just because you and the athletes you train don't run, doesn't mean running is not a proven method of GPP. Karelin, Fedor, Ali and the other GOAT's have forgotten more about winning at the highest level than you will ever know. And every single one of them included running in his training program. Your opinion on conditioning is as valid compared to them as a high school football coach's is to Darth Belichick.

Tap, Nap or Snap, boy. Because you're losing this Roll and spazzing out ain't gonna save you.

Got it?;)

My hero does it so it must be the best way to train

Sheeple 101
Monkey see monkey do

I noticed how you avoided the scientific question so I'll ask it again

If you have 10 hours per week of MMA training opportunity what percent of that 10-hour block would you dedicate to running?

# you dont get it

...so if you have 10 hrs per week of available training time how many hours would you spend running vs actual MMA training?

Do you believe running will produce more or less appliable cardio than grappling?

Depends on what kind of shape that person is in. If they're constantly gassing causing them to losing position or giving up every round of sparring DESPITE their skill then they need some extra conditioning if their grappling isn't supplying adequate stimuli to make improvements. More road work could make their actual skilled training a lot more meaningful if they're able to sustain their energy on a more consistent basis. How much is up to that person's individual goals. If you're fine with gassing after 2x5 min rounds as a hobbyist then that's fine. If you're looking to compete at a big BJJ tournament and your're expected to have several 8-10 minute matches and your current grappling/sparing isn't allowing you to push hard for those 8-10 minutes then you need to consider lacing up your shoes and pounding the pavement. There's no min or max, it all depends on the individual and where they want to take their fitness/skills.

Yes, I believe running and other forms of LISS will be better for improving Vo2 max as well as stroke volume. Grappling will obviously provide local changes to musculature involved in grappling allowing you to be a more efficient grappler but that all means shit if your heart and lungs aren't conditioned enough to deliver oxygen and other nutrients to said muscles. And that is where running/LISS can make up that difference.

You #get it. I know you #get it.

Last edited:
Spazz-ercise is the best form of cardio for heavyweights. However, if you're caught doing it as a kid they put you into a remedial physical education class and feed you running propaganda until you submit. Science has shown that spazzercise also softens your brain, inhibits common sense, and fucks with reading comprehension....so I think the schools have the right idea. Can't have a bunch of illiterate, spastic, fatasses causing a ruckus, LARPing as S&C coaches, and spouting bullshit all over the internet.

But Sherdog is the wild west. Clearly anything goes.

Running is way down the line of effective cardio

Cycling swimming grappling rowing, hill sprints, simple polymerics... they are all vastly Superior to running "for cardio"

If you got energy to run you haven't done enough MMA today

There's probably only one person commenting on this thread who started one of the first MMA gyms in the nation and ran a record-breaking wrestling team

hint: it ain't you

# school bell rings

Cycling swimming grappling rowing, hill sprints, simple polymerics... they are all vastly Superior to running "for cardio"

There's probably only one person commenting on this thread who started one of the first MMA gyms in the nation and ran a record-breaking wrestling team

# school bell rings

They let you have internet access at your retirement home? Such progress. You and your buddies getting drunk and playing touch butt once a year at the Kentucky derby doesn't count as an MMA gym.

# school bell rings

Are you responsible for children in a school? You seriously work at a school?

They let you have internet access at your retirement home? Such progress. You and your buddies getting drunk and playing touch butt once a year at the Kentucky derby doesn't count as an MMA gym.

Are you responsible for children in a school? You seriously work at a school?

I see we have moved on to the anonymous internet insult series

abandon all arguments based on logic science and sports history and just move on to a drive by diss routine as you poof off

i will continue to ragdoll you muppets for sport

upload_2019-11-30_16-27-14.jpeg
OR

upload_2019-11-30_16-29-59.jpeg
skinny-marathon-runner.jpg

https://www.outsideonline.com/2087751/yes-professional-runners-are-weak

Last edited:
Depends on what kind of shape that person is in. If they're constantly gassing causing them to losing position or giving up every round of sparring DESPITE their skill then they need some extra conditioning if their grappling isn't supplying adequate stimuli to make improvements. More road work could make their actual skilled training a lot more meaningful if they're able to sustain their energy on a more consistent basis. How much is up to that person's individual goals. If you're fine with gassing after 2x5 min rounds as a hobbyist then that's fine. If you're looking to compete at a big BJJ tournament and your're expected to have several 8-10 minute matches and your current grappling/sparing isn't allowing you to push hard for those 8-10 minutes then you need to consider lacing up your shoes and pounding the pavement. There's no min or max, it all depends on the individual and where they want to take their fitness/skills.

Yes, I believe running and other forms of LISS will be better for improving Vo2 max as well as stroke volume. Grappling will obviously provide local changes to musculature involved in grappling allowing you to be a more efficient grappler but that all means shit if your heart and lungs aren't conditioned enough to deliver oxygen and other nutrients to said muscles. And that is where running/LISS can make up that difference.

No response from Gayrilla to my well written and informative post.

Looks like I win.

this video has a lot of cartoons that will help you understand

#copycat
#bump my thread

#RUN BOIS CRUSHED

images

this video has a lot of cartoons that will help you understand

#copycat
#bump my thread

So are we moving the goal posts again? Are you shifting your argument that cardio ruins your ability to build and maintain muscle mass or that it's detrimental people participating in grappling sports? Again, it's all relative and highly individual.

I've never seen someone so dedicated to making an ass of themselves, it's incredible whether it's a troll job or not. Post more stupid shit. Please.

#digging your grave deeper

Last edited:
I see we have moved on to the anonymous internet insult series

abandon all arguments based on logic science and sports history and just move on to a drive by diss routine as you poof off

i will continue to ragdoll you muppets for sport

View attachment 685829
OR

View attachment 685835
skinny-marathon-runner.jpg

https://www.outsideonline.com/2087751/yes-professional-runners-are-weak

Do you teach your students in the same dogmatic, hyperbolic, and vague way you write? You strike me as someone eminently unsuited to a pedagogical career.

And have you actually studied logic? You talk about it a lot. But then you proceed to commit elementary fallacies and drop hashtags as if they mean something.

So are we moving the goal posts again? Are you shifting your argument that cardio ruins your ability to build and maintain muscle mass or that it's detrimental people participating in grappling sports? Again, it's all relative and highly individual.

I've never seen someone so dedicated to making an ass of themselves, it's incredible whether it's a troll job or not. Post more stupid shit. Please.

#digging your grave deeper

Do you teach your students in the same dogmatic, hyperbolic, and vague way you write? You strike me as someone eminently unsuited to a pedagogical career.

And have you actually studied logic? You talk about it a lot. But then you proceed to commit elementary fallacies and drop hashtags as if they mean something.

ONE of us is a record breaking wrestling coach and MMA founding father

# not you
# sorry
# copycat
# BUMP MY THREAD

No more cartoons
No more annoymous diss
No more likeing eachother

Just...CRICKETS

# sound of crickets

Back