Help me understand (being srs)

The interim belt is so they have a champ already set up when Conor vacates.

It makes no sense, Conor should be defending his belt, which is the only thing that makes sense in a "sport"

Not sure where you are from or how old you are (I don't mean that as an insult, more an admittance of my own getting old...), but it's a famous line that Drew Carey always said in the opening of the American comedy improv TV show "Whose Line Is It Anyway". It seems the UFC follows this motto, as it kind of does what it wants as far as matchmaking with no real sense... aside from following the dollars.

Never saw that TV show ;)

5024302.jpg

It's at 170 so they can spin it. If conor wins he goes back to being the goat(and can continue to choose his fights) for beating a "huge" nate diaz, if he loses he had so much courage and bravery blah blah blah.

Frankie vs aldo is just in case conor loses and he has to go back to 145lbs. Also because aldo is a terrible matchup for Frankie, that way hopefully aldo wins(who is considered the easier matchup for conor) so conor doesn't have to fight Frankie(since Frankie is a terrible matchup for conor).

whats up with frankie/aldo for the interim? Thats not a money fight at all, and in my opinion, makes less sense than diaz/cmg at 170. Whats the point of the interim tag?
Maybe something in one or both of their contracts. More money or ppv points if its a championship fight

It's stupid. I had delusions of grandeur for UFC 200. Should have known better...

maybe just a little sneak peek on those streams I keep hearing about on them internetz... ;)
This is acceptable for the revolt, as long as you aren't paying or wearing a Reebok warmup jacket while watching.

Frankie - Aldo needs to be a 5 round fight and making it an interim title fight is the only way to do that under the existing system if they're going to put it under the McG fight. It probably also made it much easier to get Edgar and Aldo to sign the bout agreement.

I think they wanted this on the undercard just in case Diaz pulls out, so that they could slide Frankie up to fight McG if needed.

This is definitely a disappointment for UFC 200 though. It's just fucking goofy, but I guess thats MMA for you.

Because UFC fans, especially the casual fans, are a bunch of retarded meatheads. That's the reason, TS. The Conor fight is at 170 so they can milk the "2 weight classes" BS if he loses again. The interim title is just to sex up the #1 contender fight, put a little shine on it so to speak and hope that we all don't realize how ridiculous it is that these 2 guys are fighting each other while the champ of their division is getting a rematch at 170 against a guy who tapped him out on 10 days notice.

The amusing thing is they will announce Conor as the undisputed FW champion when someone just won the intirm belt like 15 mins prior.

I got a kick out of Buffer introducing Aldo as the undisputed champ before his fight with Conor.....like the other guy is the interim champ, isn't it disputed then? Lmao

You know why they're doing it TS your mind is just rejecting it because it's so stupid it's hard to believe

whats up with frankie/aldo for the interim? Thats not a money fight at all, and in my opinion, makes less sense than diaz/cmg at 170. Whats the point of the interim tag?

Interims previously meant the champ couldn't defend in a reasonable time frame usually between a year and 2.5 years. Then they changed it so mendes conor could get one after 9 months.

Now its just so the fw champ can fight a lw at ww in a rematch because the fw champ got smoked in the original.

I'm being serious here

Diaz/cmg at 170
Frankie/aldo for 145 interim, with the winner facing cmg later "down the line." I really don't understand any of this. What's the point of interim and why would Frankie or Aldo even agree. Why not make it a #1 contender fight.

Why is Diaz/cmg at 170 and not 155?

The UFC has completely lost me on this.

Please help a LONG time fan understand this.

I think it makes sense. 170 because you guys will say 155 is ducking 170 diaz. interim, because it's more merit than a #1 contender spot. I'm sure frankie prefers that... considering how many times hes been dicked over.

The interim belt is so they have a champ already set up when Conor vacates.

Its also a good way to get rid of one of the contenders (threats) to Conor.
There are only 2 fights for Conor at 145 people talk about a Frankie fight and a rematch with Aldo.
Have them fight and I am sure UFC would prefer an Aldo win and bank on Conor beating him again.
They can always spin so the loser wont have to fight Conor for a few years.

Its also a good way to get rid of one of the contenders (threats) to Conor.
There are only 2 fights for Conor at 145 people talk about a Frankie fight and a rematch with Aldo.
Have them fight and I am sure UFC would prefer an Aldo win and bank on Conor beating him again.
They can always spin so the loser wont have to fight Conor for a few years.

I really think Frankie manhandles Conor until he gasses and gets finished or for five rounds. Aldo, not so much. He's going to have to land something significant I think. Still hoping Frankie does it though.

I really think Frankie manhandles Conor until he gasses and gets finished or for five rounds. Aldo, not so much. He's going to have to land something significant I think. Still hoping Frankie does it though.

Thats why I believe the UFC wants an Aldo win.
Conor knows how to play mind games with Aldo and make him angry.
If Frankie loses expect that he wont be facing Conor for years.
Having the 2 biggest threats to Conor fight for a "title" will eliminate one of them.
UFC does not fix fights, they dont have too. They know how to do it with the right match ups.

Back