HELP - Phuket Top Team vs Tiger Muay Thai vs AKA Thailand

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First off, a little background. I'm an amateur MMA fighter, just had my first tournament a month ago. I finished first, yay :D had about one year of boxing experience and almost a year of kickboxing before taking up MMA last year. Also dabbled a bit in judo a while back.

I know there are a few threads on this, but none provided enough information... :(

I've decided to spend most of this summer training in Phuket. I'm planning on taking Muay Thai, BJJ and MMA classes during my time there, which is hopefully going to be about 1-2 months.
(I know, I know; why go to Thailand for BJJ? Well, I live in Europe... Eastern Europe at that... BJJ as a whole here SUCKS, so these three gyms are a great opportunity for some legit grappling training).
I'm going to be taking the training seriously, training 2-3 times a day, no drinking or partying. I really want to step up my game.
I've narrowed down my options to Phuket Top Team, Tiger Muay Thai and AKA Thailand. Thing is, I'm not sure which one to go to. Yes, yes, I know I can just go there, pay for a day's training and check each place out (and I will do that when the time comes), but right now I'm interested in first hand experiences of these gyms from you guys (or stories you heard from friends who went there). The more recent the info, the better , as these gyms are always changing and renovating.

Here's the dilemma:

The first idea I had was to go straight to Tiger. My reasoning behind this was simple; it was the biggest, best equipped and best-looking gym in Phuket, so naturally they had to be doing something right. The MT trainer team looked great, GSP training there really won me over, and UFC veteran Roger Huerta leading the MMA training was awesome news. As time went on, I looked into reviews on it, and they were very mixed. Some said it was mostly for tourists looking to lose weight, others that it was overcrowded and the only way to get attention was to pay for 1-on-1s (I never trained in Muay Thai and will probably need some instruction on the basic level). I didn't like this image much. I want to go there and work hard and improve, not lose weight or be another face in the crowd that none of the trainers care about.

Next came the idea of PTT. The much smaller rival of Tiger. Despite the cheap-looking website and lack of UFC veteran trainers like Huerta at Tiger or Swick at AKA, they supposedly have a great MT team and an amazing BJJ instructor and, unlike Tiger, it's classes were limited to 80 people (compared to Tiger's 400) and mixed in level, so I'd get to spar with high level guys. All's good... except... I stumble upon this review of a guy going there and being allegedly threatened of going to jail by the owner's wife (who runs the reception). I also read in a couple of other places that said wife has, in the past, "pulled a gun" on trainers/clients (!?) and has contacts in the police, so she does whatever she wants. While it sounds far-fetched, I absolutely don't want to risk it... That put me off of PTT, sadly. It's still an option, just not a no-brainer like it would've been.

Finally, Mike Swick's American Kickboxing Academy (AKA Thailand), a world-renowned brand whose original branch in the US has produced three UFC Champions and a couple of top-level contenders. When I came across this, I thought I had found the answer. Brand new gym, great trainers across all styles, decent prices. Only problem: it's in Rawai, towards the center of the island, in the sticks and far from everywhere. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but the lack of on-site accomodation is. Supposedly, they're building rooms right now, but I don't know how long it will be until they're ready. The closest apartments and hotels that suit my budget are 2 km or so away, and I don't have a drivers license and can't hire a scooter (even if I could, I wouldn't because of they way the locals drive. Way I hear it, accidents happen daily.) Also, living on-site will be an additional stimulus for me to train each and every day. So this is what put me off AKA.

TL:DR;

All three have their pros and cons.
Tiger is big and well-known, but I fear it will be crowded and I won't receive enough attention. The clientele also apparently consists of beginners who train to "get fit" and the classes sadly cater to them.
PTT is the opposite; small classes, popular among serious fighters, but the things I'm hearing about the management and, more specifically, the owner's wife are worrying me.
AKA is the perfect gym, but the lack of on-site accomodation, combined with it's isolated location make it all but impossible for me to train there.

Again, I'm mostly interested in first hand experiences or stories you heard from acquaintances. How was the training, how were you treated, were there any problems, what were the people at the gym like, did you improve, would you recommend it? Feel free to get into details. How was your stay aside from training, etc.
It's my first time in Thailand so any info is appreciated. Also, when is it low season in Phuket?

Thanks for the help, sorry for the long post :p

You could go to AKA and buy a bicycle so the 2 km isnt an issue. If I were you though I would go to a purely Muay Thai gym and then when you return home use your East Euro location to learn Sambo for grappling.

Already tried Sambo, the teams here only accept toddlers and boys in their early teens to develop them from the ground up. They don't accept anyone over 15 if they have no prior experience :/ otherwise Sambo here is truly high level, second only to Russia.

I know the training will probably be better at a pure MT gym, but I want to develop my ground game at the same time, that's why I've narrowed it down to these three.

Cant help you with the gyms because i have not trained there.
Not a big fan of Phuket, too many sexpats for my liking. Although Phuket is big and you can avoid it for the most part, you can never really get away from it.
Rainy season in Phuket runs from may till oct/nov so expect a lot of rain. If you want to avoid the most of the rain during the summer then you might want to check out the Koh samui archipelago, where the rainy season follows a different pattern (less rain than Phuket from june till september and a lot more in oktober/ november).

My favorite gym in Thailand so far has been www.diamondmuaythai.com in Koh Pha Ngan.
very friendly and excellent trainers, lots of one on one time, good accommodation on site although a bit spartan and fairly priced.

Cant help you with the gyms because i have not trained there.
Not a big fan of Phuket, too many sexpats for my liking. Although Phuket is big and you can avoid it for the most part, you can never really get away from it.
Rainy season in Phuket runs from may till oct/nov so expect a lot of rain. If you want to avoid the most of the rain during the summer then you might want to check out the Koh samui archipelago, where the rainy season follows a different pattern (less rain than Phuket from june till september and a lot more in oktober/ november).

My favorite gym in Thailand so far has been www.diamondmuaythai.com in Koh Pha Ngan.
very friendly and excellent trainers, lots of one on one time, good accommodation on site although a bit spartan and fairly priced.
I'll look into it. I felt a more westernized gym might be a better fit so I can both keep my MMA game up, and be in a sort of familiar environment if I need help for something. Being in a more native Thai area is kind of unsettling, at least for my first time.

STAY AWAY FROM AKA!! I've been there...very unorganized!

PTT has the best format and trainers especially for America wrestling and Muay Thai...

Tiger MMA side is mostly BJJ, MMA sparring for all (Newbies included) no wrestling which is the only con for me.
I can give you the heads up on the good Thai trainers at Tiger...a couple around the fighters class are lazy bums that belong with the beginners group lol

I don't know anything in Phuket but I can recommend Fairtex in Pattaya. It offers mma training in addition to the world class muay thai they have. I don't have experience in it but I highly recommend their muay thai.

I'll look into it. I felt a more westernized gym might be a better fit so I can both keep my MMA game up, and be in a sort of familiar environment if I need help for something. Being in a more native Thai area is kind of unsettling, at least for my first time.

No worries, Koh Samui alone gets about 0.5 million tourists a year, you wont be the only whitey there.

STAY AWAY FROM AKA!! I've been there...very unorganized!

PTT has the best format and trainers especially for America wrestling and Muay Thai...

Tiger MMA side is mostly BJJ, MMA sparring for all (Newbies included) no wrestling which is the only con for me.
I can give you the heads up on the good Thai trainers at Tiger...a couple around the fighters class are lazy bums that belong with the beginners group lol
Wow. What do you mean disorganized? I had high hopes about it.. :/
And about tiger, ever felt overlooked or like just another number while there?

I was there last year, for 2 weeks before switchng to Tiger for my final 2 weeks.
I was there while Mike Swick was apparantley still in the states after his last fight, they had poor management.
They failed to pick me up from the airport (waited over an hour), poorly recommended me accommodation (The View Rawanda, was so noisey and overrun with Chinese tourist) and the trainers didn't seem to really care, or have a clue.
It felt more of a fat camp like the beginners group at Tiger

I never felt over looked at Tiger and had a fight organised with a week of switching over. Better structure trust me.
Many people (not just me) have complained about AKA

I'll keep it in mind. I guess it's down to Tiger and PTT then.
I'll also look into Diamond gym that Bunse recommended. Any thoughts about it?

Why would you travel to Thailand to learn MMA?

I'll also look into Diamond gym that Bunse recommended. Any thoughts about it?

I maybe wrong but Diamond doesn't seem to do MMA on that link Bunse provided. You can't go wrong with either Tiger or PTT. If you had enough of one or the other, then just switch gyms! They're both on the same street as with many other gyms (Muay Thai/Cross-fit) It's not like the road is full of hookers,drunks and lady boys. Everyone around that area is just there just to train! You might be surprised with who you run into over there.

Justin Bieber at Tiger lol

10592688_10152631179435733_5013966734220123455_n.jpeg

I maybe wrong but Diamond doesn't seem to do MMA on that link Bunse provided. You can't go wrong with either Tiger or PTT. If you had enough of one or the other, then just switch gyms! They're both on the same street as with many other gyms (Muay Thai/Cross-fit) It's not like the road is full of hookers,drunks and lady boys. Everyone around that area is just there just to train! You might be surprised with who you run into over there.

Justin Bieber at Tiger lol

10592688_10152631179435733_5013966734220123455_n.jpeg
Haahahaha no Tiger for me then xD jk
Yeah, Diamond doesn't do MMA but I could go and focus only on MT. I like the reviews I'm reading about them.

Btw, should I reserve beforehand or just go to the gym?

If you're talking about Tiger then only reserve if you want their on site accommodation and training packages. Other wise book your own accommodation and just walk in.
If MMA and Quality Muay Thai is what your after, and its your first time in Thailand; then you'll find everything located on Chalong Road where Tiger and PTT sits. There's a thread already stickied in the Stand Up forum on Muay Thai gyms. If you wanna know more than just msg me, I'll be back there in June for 3 months.

None of the above

go to Sitsongpeenong in Bangkok; the gym is awesome and the training is excellent. I was out there recently and it was great.

Tiger is as you say

PTT i heard some good things about from an MMA standpoint, AKAT i dont know anything about, but Sitsongpeenong rocked. Also check out Superpro Samui, guys like Overeem and Kharitonov have done extended camps there

None of the above

go to Sitsongpeenong in Bangkok; the gym is awesome and the training is excellent. I was out there recently and it was great.

Tiger is as you say

PTT i heard some good things about from an MMA standpoint, AKAT i dont know anything about, but Sitsongpeenong rocked. Also check out Superpro Samui, guys like Overeem and Kharitonov have done extended camps there
Thought so :/
I though about Sitsongpeenong Phuket, Diamond Gym which comes highly recommended, Sinbi and Fairtex Pattaya as well. Any experiences with those?

Have trained at PTT a few times and found it fine the BJJ there is great and they have some top Thai trainers as well as a decent wrestling program, Tiger has more of a big business fat camp feel and couldn't get out of there quick enough after a tour through. Have not heard much about AKA.

If you want just Thai boxing Sinbi has a great vibe and great trainers and Singpatong is top notch, have had buddies train at ChokChai and have liked it.

I was in Tiger Muay Thai for a month in 2014. Mainly did BJJ because my friend didn't have proper training in stand up so 2.5h long Muay Thai sessions were too brutal for him (and overaggressive russian training partners didn't do any good either). Morning BJJ was ran by Fernando Maccachero who is 4th degree black belt from Brazilian Top Team. He was awesome but I think now days Chris Vamos is the head couch. I saw him training there but I don't really have any insight on him. Evening classes were run by Stuart Cooper (my man crush) and I think now by Alex Schild (I think he taught class or two while I was there). http://www.tigermuaythai.com/training/mixed-martial-arts/mma-trainers

Overall I really liked my experience at Tiger Muay Thai (especially the BJJ part, not so much into that camps Muay Thai) but I am more laid back and wasn't looking to train for a fight etc. Quality of training was good and relax same time. You get to roll with people all around the world with different levels of skill. I was there as kinda training holiday. Stayed at Cocoville which I can recommend if you can spare the cash (might be the most expensive hotel at the street).

I am considering to go there in few weeks as spontaneous holiday for a month so I am also interested to hear about BJJ in PPT. It is considerably cheaper also.

ps. If you want Muay Thai training, go for one-on-one with the trainers. Will improve you leap and bounds compared to classes.

Been to all 3

1.PTT- decent, good for mma if you like . moderate for MT

2.Tiger- Big, Big, Sometime feel like groupy crossfit class

3.AKA- OK, but least liked. Spent 1 day there, moved on

Back