Hit things, lift things, drink beer.

11/01/2023:

Muay Thai:

No run today. Got to the gym, and warmed up very briefly, then got into some pad rounds with one of the trainers. Took a little time working out some flow, and then had a few good rounds. Towards the end of the last round he got me to try working on stepping out and pivoting a little more on my kicks, as well as working from a more front-forward weight distribution, to try and be a little lighter on my feet/more evasive. Good first rounds to do with him. After that, a couple of light bag rounds, then a rest before sparring class. Sparring class warmed up with 5 minutes of shadow or so, and then into 10 x 3-minute rounds of sparring, and 4 x 2-minute rounds of clinching at the end. Had a lot of my rounds with a much bigger, quite experienced dude- good to be pushed across the rounds. At the end of the session he thanked me for the first good rounds he'd had in a long time. Group finished the session with everyone in class picking an ab exercise for 20 reps, and working our way around each member. Was absolutely fucked by the end. It's been 3 good, hard days of training in a row. Fitness is improving session to session. Just gotta keep the rhythm going.

Last edited:
14/01/2023:

Cardio:

13.16km run. Meant to be up to 10km, but I guess that I'm worse at estimating distance than I thought. For some reason, Strava didn't record the time, but it was around 6 minutes per kilometer. Average heart rate 163bpm. Not too bad.

23/01/2022:

Muay Thai:

Took last week off training due to a lacerated finger, and took the opportunity to spend time catching up with friends and being socail. back into it today. Warmed up with same 5.2km route as previous. Total time 31:54, average HR 159bpm, average split 6:09/km. Started the run feeling asthmatic and tight through the chest, but lungs loosened up by the last couple kms. Back at the gym, shadow boxed for a round or two, then a couple of light bag rounds. Worked in with another guy on the pads. He couldn't work out how to change the timer, so we just did 1 x 10-minute round each. Another couple of light rounds on the bag, then finished with pull-ups (10, 6, 6 reps), 20 push-ups, 30 sit-ups, 20 push-ups, and 30 double-crunches.

24/01/2022:

Muay Thai:

Warmed up with same run as yesterday- same elapsed time, same average heart rate. Key difference was that I was a little faster on the first couple of km's and a little slower on the downhill today. Back at the gym, wraps on, then a 5 or 6 minute round of skipping with a few odd sets of sprints mixed in towards the end, then a round of shadow and some dynamic stretches to finish the warm-up. From there, into a few different drills, again focusing on low kicks, both setting up the low kick, and then using the low kick as a set-up. Finished the session with a burnout of 4 x 30-second sets of power low kicks with 30 seconds rest between, then ab work after. Good session.

26/01/2023:

Muay Thai:

Warmed up with the usual run today. Average split was a little slower, but average HR was 157bpm and max HR was 177. RPE was definitely higher though. Thinking that I'm probably still adjusting to be able to handle an actual decent training load. That's okay. Every week just improving is the goal right now. Back at the gym, warmed up with a long round of skipping, then some dynamic stretches and running around the mats, then 2 x rounds of shadow boxing. Focus on today's session was footwork- in particular bringing your feet with you while moving forward and punching. Dialled the intensity for myself right back and focused on the detail and getting things right. As we went we added in some slips, kicks, checks and counters. Finished class with a round of clinching, then a bunch of burpees. Absolutely fucked by the end.

Back