Social Homelessness in the U.S. vs Canada

Oh, and LMAO at that fucking poll...

"Leger polled 1,529 people online. While the results were statistically weighted according to age, gender, mother tongue, region, education and presence of children in the household in order to ensure a representative sample of the Canadian population, they cannot be assigned a margin of error because online polls are not considered truly random samples."

ROFL
Sad response, I just chose the top 3 polls off of Google. You conveniently ignored the other 2. They are plenty more that show Canadians have grown overwhelmingly unsupportive of immigration. I've provided Canadian government supported sources. It's time to stop being emotional about the subject and accept what the Canadian people are saying.

Here's some more sources showing the shift away from immigration:

Feel free to find more, it's really not hard. I'm not going to spend any more time arguing with someone who doesn't want to accept reality and would rather respond with their emotions.

Sad response, I just chose the top 3 polls off of Google. You conveniently ignored the other 2. They are plenty more that show Canadians have grown overwhelmingly unsupportive of immigration. I've provided Canadian government supported sources. It's time to stop being emotional about the subject and accept what the Canadian people are saying.

Here's some more sources showing the shift away from immigration:

Feel free to find more, it's really not hard. I'm not going to spend any more time arguing with someone who doesn't want to accept reality and would rather respond with their emotions.
Making the same mistake multiple times? Even more damning.

"METHODOLOGY

The survey was conducted with 2,000 Canadian adults from November 9 to 12, 2023. A random sample of panelists were invited to complete the survey from a set of partner panels based on the Lucid exchange platform. These partners are typically double opt-in survey panels, blended to manage out potential skews in the data from a single source.

The margin of error for a comparable probability-based random sample of the same size is +/- 2.19%, 19 times out of 20.

The data were weighted according to census data to ensure that the sample matched Canada’s population according to age, gender, educational attainment, and region.

This survey was paid for by Abacus Data Inc."

Same bullshit methodology, same bullshit conclusions. Give it up already and I will spare you further embarrassment.

I repeat, since you appear to have deliberately ignored this part,

"About three-quarters of respondents agreed that higher immigration contributes to the cultural diversity of the country, and 63 per cent said the arrival of young immigrants contributes to the workforce and tax base, which supports older generations."

Are you choosing which responses to accept and which responses to disregard from the same survey? Yes, indeed you are. I reiterate for the last time, get bent.

It has nothing to do with housing. Lol like if only homes were cheaper these meth heads and fent addicts would hold down jobs and pay for them... Give me a break. The shelters aren't even at capacity, but they don't want to use them because they can't do drugs or have sex in them. They reject civilization's rules. They want no part of it or the order and safety it provides. In like Edmonton or Winnipeg or something that is basically suicide, but if they don't care then why should I?

"METHODOLOGY

The survey was conducted with 2,000 Canadian adults from November 9 to 12, 2023. A random sample of panelists were invited to complete the survey from a set of partner panels based on the Lucid exchange platform. These partners are typically double opt-in survey panels, blended to manage out potential skews in the data from a single source.

The margin of error for a comparable probability-based random sample of the same size is +/- 2.19%, 19 times out of 20.

The data were weighted according to census data to ensure that the sample matched Canada’s population according to age, gender, educational attainment, and region.

Same bullshit methodology, same bullshit conclusions. Give it up already and I will spare you further embarrassment.

"About three-quarters of respondents agreed that higher immigration contributes to the cultural diversity of the country, and 63 per cent said the arrival of young immigrants contributes to the workforce and tax base, which supports older generations."

Are you choosing which responses to accept and which responses to disregard from the same survey? Yes, indeed you are. I reiterate for the last time, get bent.
So its your unironic opinion that most Canadians are not opposed to a country of 40 million to bring in 700K+ new people every year despite the fact that they just doubled the population in a few decades with generally much lower numbers and are currently in the middle of a housing crisis?

You don't have to be anti-immigration to be against the crazy numbers real estate investors want to cram into 300 sq ft boxes.

So its your unironic opinion that most Canadians are not opposed to a country of 40 million to bring in 700K+ new people every year despite the fact that they just doubled the population in a few decades with generally much lower numbers and are currently in the middle of a housing crisis?

You don't have to be anti-immigration to be against the crazy numbers real estate investors want to cram into 300 sq ft boxes.
My response was specific to the comment to which I replied. You should try it.

It has nothing to do with housing. Lol like if only homes were cheaper these meth heads and fent addicts would hold down jobs and pay for them... Give me a break. The shelters aren't even at capacity, but they don't want to use them because they can't do drugs or have sex in them. They reject civilization's rules. They want no part of it or the order and safety it provides. In like Edmonton or Winnipeg or something that is basically suicide, but if they don't care then why should I?
There are causes of homelessness which have nothing to do with drug use. Give your fucking head a shake and see what ones you can come up with, hm?

Edit: and some people avoid shelters because they don't want to be robbed. There are other reasons also. Educate yourself before you talk down to the unfortunate, FFS.

"METHODOLOGY

Could you perhaps provide a current poll on the issue that you think has adequate methodology?
There are causes of homelessness which have nothing to do with drug use. Give your fucking head a shake and see what ones you can come up with, hm?

Edit: and some people avoid shelters because they don't want to be robbed. There are other reasons also. Educate yourself before you talk down to the unfortunate, FFS.
Homeless people generally avoid homeless shelters for the same reason any of us would if we were to find ourselves suddenly in need of a place to sleep, which is that they are used by homeless people.

Besides the general trend of the attitudes/character/behaviour of the people you are likely to run into there, the other major issue is of course in-group conflict. The homeless constitute a surprisingly stable population which has consistent interaction between members, and like any such group cliques form and friction occurs between individuals. Combine this with the characteristics of the people involved and the it’s easy to see how a miserable situation (homelessness) can be made vastly worse by the people involved (other homeless).

Of course being that everyone involved is going to draw there social connections from that population, it will also be the source of the vast majority of positive relations as well.

Sure, we could eliminate all drug and alcohol abuse and we'd still have homeless, just a hell of a lot less of them.

I've seen the reporting on how many homeless are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, and it's supposedly less than 40%, but I call bs on those self-reported numbers. I live in an area with lots of homeless, and 90% of them are obvious addicts.

Sure, we could eliminate all drug and alcohol abuse and we'd still have homeless, just a hell of a lot less of them.

I've seen the reporting on how many homeless are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, and it's supposedly less than 40%, but I call bs on those self-reported numbers. I live in an area with lots of homeless, and 90% of them are obvious addicts.
Alcohol is a FAR bigger problem in homelessness and society at large than hard drugs are or ever will be...and Alcohol is not going anywhere.

Wheres the judgement for housed people doing drugs and having sex? The drugs I can kinda see it but so much of the criticism of the homeless is based on just average human needs. IE people have the audacity to trash the homeless for shitting on the street as if they have a bathroom they are just refusing to use.

You just admitted you want to force the homeless to hold down jobs and pay for housing and don't really care about solving homelessness as much as forcing everyone to sudmit to capitalism at gunpoint. If people refuse to live in your evil society you want them to suffer. All the "homeless don't want a home" arguments aren't sincere and never were sincere. Theres always a caveat they don't want a home because they won't agree to x,y and z.

Capitalism does not provide order and safety it provides instability, humiliation and emptiness. Some people correctly made the calculation that having nothing is better than being a life long hostage which is what your "order and safety" really means. You want people to pay for their basic needs and if they refuse you want to punish them.

Canada reaching 100 million people is a national goal. This means over tripling their population. That is why their migrant numbers are so high because unless the birth rate explodes thats really your only path to acheiving that. They want to hit 100 million but don't want the immigrants that are needed to make that happen. They want to eat their cake and have it too.

Canada reaching 100 million people is a national goal. This means over tripling their population. That is why their migrant numbers are so high because unless the birth rate explodes thats really your only path to acheiving that. They want to hit 100 million but don't want the immigrants that are needed to make that happen. They want to eat their cake and have it too.
Nobody wants that except real estate investors. Rapid population growth has been straining our economy for decades.

Nobody wants that except real estate investors. Rapid population growth has been straining our economy for decades.

Maybe real estate investors do want that but in a political context I was thinking Canada is an aspiring great power. Like our assembly is required friends before them they just don't have the people.

Also it took you about 25 years to hop from 30mil to 40mil. You really haven't went that far tbh with you.

Lol at these mysterious "other reasons" you can't even be bothered to name. You don't think they can get robbed on the street? How about I give you some reasons TO GO:

On the street people have weapons.

On the street people die in fires:

On the street people get raped:

Homeless shelters > short-term supportive housing > long-term supportive housing... There is a well funded carefully crafted path available for them to use to escape the frozen lawless hellscape. With wrap-around supports including addiction treatment, mental health therapy, employment skills development and even fucking rent support. It only requires one thing.. you must follow rules and rejoin society.

There has always been a small segment that doesn't want to conform and compete. Now the competition is greater than ever, and the once robust social and government safetynet has big holes in it. So this has many Canadians seeing some real shocking stuff that we in boom and bust land have been witnessing all our lives. You think there is a magic bullet or some right combo of social services or government policy that will fix all of this but there is not.

Back