How did Sakuraba beat Rampage, Vitor if it took him 1 hour to beat Royce?

Its directly relevant, he's not only talking about that but being forced to fight injured, which is pretty similar to being forced to fight on short notice. It happened to Japanese fighters all the time in Pride, foreign fighters just weren't aware of it. Japanese fighters are less likely to open up about that sort of stuff.

Again, think about Kiyoshi Tamura-Bob Sapp. Tamura was and still is an icon of Japanese MMA, the biggest young star of the UWFi and later on, RINGs. They threw him in with Bob Sapp. Do you really think they were worried about giving Japanese fighters favorable conditions? If that was the case they would have had comprehensive weight classes, ala Shooto. Now in Hero's, you can see some favoritism, for a certain few fighters. But Hero's is definitely not like Pride in that regard.
Seems to me he's talking about not being able to pick his opponents ... which is a weird thing to bring up anyways, who the fuck does he know that got to pick his opponents?

Hoyce was 40 yrs old vs Hughes, & the Yoshida fight was controversial.

SAKU was the one who destroyed the myth.

Horion Gracie: "After Sakuraba's fight, the [Pride organizers] came back. Sometimes they talk with me for a half-hour or hour and go back to Japan the next day. They talked about a rematch with Sakuraba. They offered me a certain amount of money that I didn't think was appropriate. The argument was, "Listen, Royce lost to Sakuraba. So now his value is less." To think that because Royce lost to Sakuraba has jeopardized or weakened the Gracie image doesn't sit."
Saku beat him standing though with leg kicks. So Royce's grappling myth was still pretty intact.

Yoshida out grappled Royce in the first match in Royce's strength which was the guard.
Royce would have been choked out by Yoshida.
How was he going to get out of the Ezequial choke with 2:17 left in the round.
Yoshida should have choked him the f out.

uh? from your original narrative.
How did you make that leap? I said that multiple western fighters complained about not knowing who there opponent would be, and only being told that they had 'a fight' in a couple weeks.

Rampage and Vitor were guys that are every bit or nearly as good as today's best fighters at MW, LHW, and HW.

Matt Hughes could not even beat today's gatekeeper WWs and he steamrolled Royce with a 10-6 in like 3 minutes.

Sakuraba fought him for over like 1 hour.

How did a guy that went 1 hour with and still couldn't finish a UFC 1 guy manage to beat Rampage and Vitor?
Special set of rules for the fight,no time
Limit.
Saku was not a finisher and Royce is very hard to submit,most probable way Saku would get a win.

Seems to me he's talking about not being able to pick his opponents ... which is a weird thing to bring up anyways, who the fuck does he know that got to pick his opponents?

Takase: "I couldn't care less about the record. In Pride, I had no power to choose my opponents. Even if opponent was much heavier than me, I had to fight. Also, I had to fight even though I was injured. Now I know I was idiot, but if I rejected, I would have no place to fight. That is the truth. If I could have chosen who to fight, I wouldn't have faced Mach Sakurai and Hector Lombard (laughs)."

How did you make that leap? I said that multiple western fighters complained about not knowing who there opponent would be, and only being told that they had 'a fight' in a couple weeks.
Exactly, my dear friend.

Anyway, read the thread, other posters have already assessed it.

Saku beat him standing though with leg kicks. So Royce's grappling myth was still pretty intact.

Yoshida out grappled Royce in the first match in Royce's strength which was the guard.
Royce would have been choked out by Yoshida.
How was he going to get out of the Ezequial choke with 2:17 left in the round.
Yoshida should have choked him the f out.
> Some were already contestin´this myth b4, tho (for good or bad reasons)...

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...-ufc-5-requiem-for-the-vale-tudo-era.3947367/

Anyway, as showed by Horion´s assessment about the negociations for the rematch, that myth was no longer the same.

> Hoyce vs Yoshida :
- legit size difference between 2 grapplers [modern MMA]
- controversial fight, like it or not, the rest is pure speculation.

How come it took GSP 25 minutes to beat Jon Fitch but it only took Josh Burkman 41 seconds?

Dumb question.

Vitor broke both his hands

Rampage got paid more to lose than he would have made if he won

I think Royce really underestimated Hughes and overestimated his own ability in their match. Though i dont remember if Gracie fought Matt then Saku or vice versa. Saku was probably conserving energy due to the "special" rules the Gracies asked for. In His fight Vs Rampage, Saku was in his prime while Quinton was starting out, and the whole yakuza thing probably had Rampage a little shook, to say the least. Vs Vitor is easier to explain. Belfort has no heart while thats Sakus strongest point.

I think Royce really underestimated Hughes and overestimated his own ability in their match. Though i dont remember if Gracie fought Matt then Saku or vice versa.
Royce was undefeated when he fought Sakuraba. They fought in 2000 and Royce fought Hughes much later, in 2007 I believe.

Special set of rules for the fight,no time
Limit.
Saku was not a finisher and Royce is very hard to submit,most probable way Saku would get a win.
In his prime, most of his wins were via sub, except a few exceptions.

Believe me, to sub someone like Ronin is no easy task, especially via kneebar. Ronin was only subbed once in his physical prime, in his rookie fight against giant Riviere, and was not really a 'technical' sub.
vlcsnap-2020-04-25-01h41m12s679.png

Henzo too, never subbed.

Vitor fight was pretty suspect looking iirc. Vitor barely tried to do anything.

He did early on then when he couldnt get his patented early finish he flopped on his back the rest of the fight with no other answer, which he did before also against Reem and Bones

Personally I think he dragged the fight out to punish Royce for constant rule changes and demands, he wonted to make him quite physically abd mentality to prove a point.

Personally I think he dragged the fight out to punish Royce for constant rule changes and demands, he wonted to make him quite physically abd mentality to prove a point.
Sakuraba said he went at Royce at first, until he realized that Royce was pacing himself. Then he changed strategies to make sure he didn't gas out at some point.

BTW--has anyone pointed out that the thread title is way off? They didn't fight for a mere hour. They fought for 90 minutes, the longest fight in modern MMA history.

Saku was great and Royce was a myth but it took over an hour for Saku to beat Royce. Whatever.
Royce won the rematch but the crooks put some juice in Royce's sample.
Royce vs. Yoshida I was grappling only. It ended in controversy. Royce vs. Yoshida II was MMA. It ended in a draw even though Royce destroyed him. The ref should have stopped the fight because Yoshida was not defending himself. Royce vs. Hughes was a joke. Making 175 pounds at Royce's age almost killed him. He looked liked Nosferatu entering the ring while Hughes looked like Hercules. Fight should have been open weight.

Back