How does LW Champ Edgar do against the current LW top 10?

Not very good.

Frankie was known for his heart, his cardio and his relentless takedowns. He'd have trouble with many of these guys today. Edgar is lucky he faced the later half of BJ Penn's career.

All the respects to Frankie Edgar btw. The guy has managed to win many fights he should've lost on paper to.

His style just isn't ideal with the current landscape.

So inspired by the thread yesterday about how HOF worthy Frankie's career has been, I know I mentioned it yesterday but he was the smallest guy at LW and won the belt and also was one of the smaller guys at FW, he's an absolute warrior.

What I wanted to know was how do you think he'd fare against the current top 5? I'm talking about Maynard/Bendo Frankie when he was champ.

- Khabib
- Dustin
- Gaethje
- Oliveira
- Chandler
- Tony
- Conor
- RDA
- Hooker
- Felder

What say you Sherdog?
Bottom half of the division.

He doesn't last 3 rounds against any of them imo

Prime Frankie would definitely be a top 5 LW. I think Poirier, Ferguson and Khabib would definitely beat him. Oliveira and Chandler are toss ups and I'd favor him over the rest. I think him and RDA would be a fantastic fight as would him against a prime Cerrone as well.

Prime Frankie would definitely be a top 5 LW. I think Poirier, Ferguson and Khabib would definitely beat him. Oliveira and Chandler are toss ups and I'd favor him over the rest. I think him and RDA would be a fantastic fight as would him against a prime Cerrone as well.
Prime Tony I would agree beats current Edgar but current Tony would be controlled by Prime Edgar. Do you rate Oliveira’s grappling above that of Edgar at the point he beat Penn for a third time? His top game in that fight was scary. Not even GSP sliced through BJ’s guard as efficiently during the second fight?

So inspired by the thread yesterday about how HOF worthy Frankie's career has been, I know I mentioned it yesterday but he was the smallest guy at LW and won the belt and also was one of the smaller guys at FW, he's an absolute warrior.

What I wanted to know was how do you think he'd fare against the current top 5? I'm talking about Maynard/Bendo Frankie when he was champ.

- Khabib
- Dustin
- Gaethje
- Oliveira
- Chandler
- Tony
- Conor
- RDA
- Hooker
- Felder

What say you Sherdog?
Lmao

Delete your account
Khabib Has clearly better ground game, but Edgar definitely Has a good ground game, he ha ground and pound, passing and submissions. He trains under John Danaher for years. Anyway Gaethje Has terrible ground game. It's not only the fact that he faced Khabib. Many fighters did better on the ground against Khabib, his ground game would be exposed way earlier if it wasn't for his good takedowns defense

Prime Tony I would agree beats current Edgar but current Tony would be controlled by Prime Edgar. Do you rate Oliveira’s grappling above that of Edgar at the point he beat Penn for a third time? His top game in that fight was scary. Not even GSP sliced through BJ’s guard as efficiently during the second fight?
It'll be interesting to see how Tony fares in his next fight. For all we know Oliveira could definitely be on the rise with no hint of slowing down as he has been showing that's why I think it would be a toss up between him and a prime Frankie. If Tony has lost a step then I agree a prime Frankie would definitely win.

Indeed, although prime maynard was a beast and underrated on here in my opinion. The guy was undefeated with wins over Florian, Diaz, and edgar himself. That was an amazing win at the time.

But yes, there's no denying that Gaethje could crack Edgar's chin in a hypothetical fight, although...edgar was essentially impossible to stop in his prime. Who knows

That "win" against Nate is very dubious. Nate should be 3-0 VS Gray if were being honest (including TUF fight). And most modern LWs are as big as Nate at least if not bigger. Gray had power but he was one of the worst finishers ever unlike almost ever top 10 LW ATM.

Even Charles had a really tight guillotine on Frankie in their fight that was very close before the horn sounded, and gave him plenty issues standing.

And Charles was like 23yo when they fought. I dunno man I wouldn't count Frankie out but I def wouldn't bet on him against some of these guys

That "win" against Nate is very dubious. Nate should be 3-0 VS Gray if were being honest (including TUF fight). And most modern LWs are as big as Nate at least if not bigger. Gray had power but he was one of the worst finishers ever unlike almost ever top 10 LW ATM.

Even Charles had a really tight guillotine on Frankie in their fight that was very close before the horn sounded, and gave him plenty issues standing.

And Charles was like 23yo when they fought. I dunno man I wouldn't count Frankie out but I def wouldn't bet on him against some of these guys

I don't think charles would have gotten that even with more time on the clock. Frankie was getting a better angle to defend it while establishing control of one of charles' wrist.

The rest are fair points. I still think he could beat some of them, but I'm sure some would beat him, too.

It'll be interesting to see how Tony fares in his next fight. For all we know Oliveira could definitely be on the rise with no hint of slowing down as he has been showing that's why I think it would be a toss up between him and a prime Frankie. If Tony has lost a step then I agree a prime Frankie would definitely win.
Between Oliveira and Edgar, Edgar is the better at outright control whereas Oliveira is clearly better when it comes to submissions.

Khabib- Khabib by decision, stronger wrestler but frankie can win if he kept it standing whilst mixing a few TDs himself.
- Dustin- Frankie by decision, he can land takedowns on Dustin and possibly control him like Eddie and Khabib did
- Gaethje- Gaethje Kos Frankie, but if Frankie lands a takedown he will win.
- Oliveira- Edgar by decision, he can control Charles and he has better cardio
- Chandler- Chandler KOs Edgar, bigger, stronger, hits hard and can wrestle
- Tony- Edgar by Decision, He can do what Lee and Castillo did but for 5 rounds.
- Conor- Conor TKOs him, hits too hard and too accurate.
- RDA- RDA beats him, to big and too strong.
- Hooker- he wins a 5 round decision, Hooker has 2 round cardio
- Felder-Edgar wins, takedowns to strong
All in all he does pretty well by can be beat by quite a few guys

Between Oliveira and Edgar, Edgar is the better at outright control whereas Oliveira is clearly better when it comes to submissions.
If anyone would be slick enough to catch Frankie in a submission early it would be Do Bronx though, he's definitely been a do or die fighter but it does look like he's tightened up his grappling as well to not allow for reversals/escapes. Against a prime Frankie it would definitely be a good fight. Frankie was smart enough to keep it standing when they first fought and he was the better striker. I think it would possibly play out like that again if they both fought when Frankie was in his prime against Charles presently.

It’s off-putting how big lightweights and featherweights are these days. Frankie would be a lot smaller than all of those fighters. His heart is bigger than most though.

He could beat Chandler imo. He’d have to avoid the big shots though and would also have to be aware of the TD. Tough fight but winnable imo.

He could beat Gaethje but would take a lot of shots and would have to fight a brilliant fight.

He could potentially decision Ferguson as Ferguson gives up early rounds and can be too content on bottom.

He could beat Hooker as he’s a much better fighter, but Frankie has a habit of ducking his head and that could get him kneed stiff. The size difference would also be comical, but Edgar has a sizeable cardio advantage.

He could absolutely beat Conor and prime for prime I’d pick Frankie to win.

Khabib would be too big for him imo.

Felder is way bigger but Frankie is a lot faster. He could win that fight by mixing it up.

Oliveira was competitive with Frankie in their first fight and looks like an animal right now. Tough one to call imo. I wouldn’t be shocked if Oliveira at 155 managed to rag doll Frankie in the clinch and potentially sub him. 5 rounds works for Frankie though. I’m torn on this one. I’ll lean Edgar just because he already beat him and is hard to tap.

Prime RDA was incredible but he always had problems against wrestlers. Tough one to call.

Poirier is well rounded and would be a tough fight, but I could honestly see Frankie winning 3 rounds.

Frankie is way too old and undersized against these LWs. He probably would do good when he was younger, but now would be hard for him to crack top 10. Glad he's showing resilience in the smaller divisions.

If anyone would be slick enough to catch Frankie in a submission early it would be Do Bronx though, he's definitely been a do or die fighter but it does look like he's tightened up his grappling as well to not allow for reversals/escapes. Against a prime Frankie it would definitely be a good fight. Frankie was smart enough to keep it standing when they first fought and he was the better striker. I think it would possibly play out like that again if they both fought when Frankie was in his prime against Charles presently.
Agreed other than the part about Oliveira catching Frankie in a sub, it’s not impossible but it’s not likely either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back