How is Izzy's TDD so good?

d1rs1j31cnhz6p4emq2cefh73mokbu32.jpg

Very good TDD but there are many fighters with better TDD. It’s not like Whittaker is known for being a terrific wrestler, and he’s also a lot smaller than Adesanya. Adesanya is a terrific fighter but take away his height and reach advantage, he would have struggled a lot more with someone like Whittaker.

A year or so ago, people were acting like he’s the second coming at MW. It’s clear that he’s a bit better than everyone he’s fought at MW, but not by much. We also saw him lose badly against the weakest LHW champ in decades.

Is height and long limbs probably help him defending takedowns from smaller fighters like Rob and Marvin.

Yeah definitely. Good defensive wrestling, and he’s a BJJ purple belt under Andre Galvao, so definitely a dude who works on his whole game.
Makes you wonder if he can actually progress from here.
If he gets even better people might be in some shit lol.

On a side note, I just seen someone say Izzy only won the first round, and that he basically won the fight by switching stances and making confident faces lmao.

Oh sherdog....go home, you're drunk lol.

I mean have you ever seen anyone have a better TDD than him?

The guy is like a spring , the more people force him down , the quicker he gets up.

My eyes were watching him getting out of all kinds of scenarios but can't explain what his secret is.

Any ideas?

So much experience underneath hungry young men coming for him

He’s been taken down 8 times his last two fights and one was against a fighter that is primarily a striker. So I wouldn’t say it’s incredible. It’s solid though, he stuffed some good attempts. He has a great ability to scramble and get up quickly though.

Have I ever seen anyone have better TDD? I mean, Jon Jones does, Cejudo, Fedor, Aldo, Cormier, JDS…a bunch more probably.
But yeah it’s very solid.
I haven't seen many people trying to take jones or cormier down as these guys are Wrestlers themselves.

Izzy is a kick boxer and its the ease with which he gets out.

Some people have a physique that is uniquely good at avoiding TD's, and with practice, they get even better CC was that way. There is technique through practice, and there is natural ability.

Some strikers never could dominate because they can't seem to stop getting taken down, no natural ability to avoid them (Mo Smith).

Totally disagree.

Without qualification he would dominate and finish Romero in a highlight filled fight punctuated by a thrilling, knockout OTY-caliber, finish.

Same thing with Vetorri IMO. Izzy is a front runner, once he gets out ahead he will just flatten and wipe out the opponent leaving little - nay, no - doubt and answering every question along the way to the finish.

The bottomline here really is can we change this guys gimmick to highlight bender? Would that piss Gaethje off? I mean if the shoe fits, AM I RITE?!

Whittaker is not exactly a wrestler.

Wait til he fights a strong wrestler like Vettori, or even Paulo Costa. Brunson would wrestlefuck him as well easily. He is lucky Yoel isn’t in UFC anymore, that would be an un-winnable fight outside of lucky punch.

On top of being extremely good his quickness anf explosiveness really help him unlike Condit that is also a lanky fighter but kinda slow in the grappling aspect.

Everyone puts in the work without the same effect.

Not everyone has the same physical attributes and talent however.
Combining those two things yields what you see before you sir.

BJ Penn rested on talent alone and you see where that got him.

I haven't seen many people trying to take jones or cormier down as these guys are Wrestlers themselves.

Izzy is a kick boxer and its the ease with which he gets out.
Yeah he’s definitely great at defending the wrestling and keeping the fight on the feet. Even his defensive grappling when Whittaker had his back was very good. Izzy’s TDD is 77% over the course of his career, which is very good. There are some other non-wrestlers up there, like Cro Cop at 78%, JDS at 81% and Aldo at 90%, which is fucking amazing to do over the course of his career.

Some people have a physique that is uniquely good at avoiding TD's, and with practice, they get even better CC was that way. There is technique through practice, and there is natural ability.

Some strikers never could dominate because they can't seem to stop getting taken down, no natural ability to avoid them (Mo Smith).
I really think a lot of it is natural ability ad he is not the only one practicing TDD.

Back