How many fights does Volk have left in him?

Shay Brennan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
As in how many high level fights before he declines to the point that it costs him the victory?

It seems that he will end his career as the 2nd best fw ever, running out of time to surpass Aldo.

I think he'll maul Yair and if he's smart win 1 more fight against Ilia before he's 35 and should call it a career.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Idk man, it doesn't seem like he is slowing down. He improved his striking immensely plus he can be a point fighter if its needed. Volk has the correct tools to be fighting past 35 at the highest level plus he is extremely well conditioned, no known injuries.

He seems to still be improving. I think he's got at least another solid 8 - 10 in him, but he's likely going to have to move up to have new challenges.

Needs to beat Yair and Togepi, then I don’t care what happens after. If Arnold could bounce back and slide into a TS, he’d be another good name to tack on Volk’s resume. Hopefully, Volk can put another 3-4 W’s up as champ at FW.

Looked slower to me in the Islam fight. Of course he was way heavier than usual, which could be the reason.
Got hurt by some of Islam's punches, which didn't look like all that much.
In the lighter weight classes you are past prime at 35. Those guys are 5'6. Volk is 5'6

I see him having major problems against Yair and Topuria.

I think he's at the point where any fight now, he could suddenly look dramatically worse. He should go up to 155 for some more dream fights and make some money while he can because 145 is beyond extinct.

Fortunately for him, I have zero confidence in Yair and think this fight will look much easier than people expect.

I want him to face Topuria and Movsar after he beats Yair.

Smaller bodies take less time to age cause they have less blood and shorter arteries so he should fight 3 more times max
Biology checks out
27g-LVwG0UBMBJ77QmC7DA_b.jpg

blood-vessel-heart-circulatory-system-cardiovascular-internal-organ-graphic-anatomy.jpg

This next fight will probably tell me something. But, I haven’t seen anything concerning yet. He can fight 3 times per year if he wants. It’s a really difficult thing to know for sure. And the challengers are high level guys. Except for KZ who is clearly past it and who just turned 36 a few months ago. Alex turns 35 in September.

If he beats Yair he may decide to move up again. But he had his free TS at LW. So I’d be against him getting another one. Izzy as well. If those guys want another one they should earn in that division. I think Alex could defend 4 more times before the end of 2024. He’d be 36 and the undisputed FW GOAT. I don’t think he’ll suddenly drop off a cliff but it’s hard to tell. And each new and different challenger offers a new challenge. If he wants to move up again, more power to him. But it might be best to stay at FW and really solidify his legacy there.

But right now I think he probably has 4 more world class fights left in him at least. If he stays healthy and motivated. You don’t really expect guys to surpass the divisional GOATs except at LW. But Alex can surpass Aldo with just a few more wins. It’s been fun watching him. I wish him the best. But if he moves up he’d probably be throwing the undisputed FW GOAT title away. Otoh.. 2 belts is impressive as hell. His choice, but no more free TS at LW, imo.

I think he's in his prime. That could hold on for 3-5 fights, but he'll still be a danger in his decline. Up to him really. Some fighters just don't wanna give it up as they enjoy the competition.

The data set on aging midget fighters is clear.

I think he gets stopped by Yair in the first fight and then in the rematch.

But if he does get through Yair, he should immediately move up to LW. As he slows down, at least moving up offsets this a little because he will be fighting slightly slower guys.

I see him having major problems against Yair and Topuria.
I mean people have been saying this for basically every Volk fight, it started with Aldo with everyone saying Aldo will decimate him, then it was Max will destroy him, then Ortega and almost everyone on planet earth gave him literally 0% chance to even get out of the first round against Islam.

I honestly see him having very few problems against either Top or Yair, not that I think they will be cakewalks but Volk always finds a way.

IMO he's clearly surpassed Aldo. Volk is undefeated against the great 145ers, Aldo is winless against them unless you count Chad Mendes.

If Volk retires unbeaten at 145 he's the GOAT of that division. The idea that Aldo should be above Volk just because he has a few more title defenses is silly.

Thing is especially since Zabit left to become a doctor 145 is empty and has been empty because Max hasn't lost in 10 years to anyone but Volk. If you're not impressed enough with Volk thus far there's not much else he can do short of win the 155 belt that'll change your mind.

Back