How much, in your opinion, does work ethic play a role in weight training?

Baby Hanma

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
There really are some idiots out there who come up with the stupidest training programs and perform the lifts with the most atrocious form. At that degree of stupidity, no amount of work ethic will save them from never making gains unless they do their research.

But assuming we're talking about reasonable people who are willing to learn from more experienced people, and who are willing to read good stuff from books and the internet, who do end up doing a good training program... At that point, how much does work ethic play a role in their success in their recreational lifting career?

What do you think?

Thank you. I'd really like to hear people's opinions here. Especially the ones who've been training for over two years.

Difficult question.
I think enjoyment is much more important than work ethic. Whether that enjoyment comes from the process and/or the results it doesn't matter. No one is putting in 10+ years if they don't enjoy it.
Toughness and the ability to push through pain plays a role too. Is that the same as work ethic? It's less important than consistency though.

Difficult question.
I think enjoyment is much more important than work ethic. Whether that enjoyment comes from the process and/or the results it doesn't matter. No one is putting in 10+ years if they don't enjoy it.
Toughness and the ability to push through pain plays a role too. Is that the same as work ethic? It's less important than consistency though.
Yeah.... I think you have to love training and look forward to hitting the gym. You're right as well that consistency is one of the most important things whether your enhanced or not.

Difficult question.

The people who learn to enjoy weight training are the ones who have achieved the magical "flow state" that psychologists talk about. That only happens after a year of consistent training. No one ever enjoys weight training in their first year. It's a chore even to the ones passionate about it.

I'm at a point right now where my mind is already thinking about the hot babes who'll appreciate my big quads in the middle of a heavy squat set. That's enjoyment. To the newbies, just the act of finishing that heavy squat set requires a lot of mental effort.

I enjoyed it immediately. The first weeks and months are when you make the most improvements.

It was also a time when you were just fucking around and not taking it seriously. Just like crossfitters and those doing P90X.

I'm saying you have no real accomplishments as a lifter. I am sure I can lift more than you despite training for only a year.

Those who take the easy way out in training and decide to do fun stuff instead of the real stuff, just like you, will always be mediocre lifters who win combat sports because of Diaz-like trickery.

Real men do hard stuff. Hard stuff is never fun.

Work ethic is important as enjoyment. It can be a double edge sword to the point that you never want to quit or want to go hard 7 days a week, so the rest / recovery is always lagging. The programming, reading endless articles and watching every lifting video on the internet is entirely too over praised. It's not that complicated to exercise to stay in shape while getting stronger. ** recreational lifting **

Different story if you're chasing numbers and training specifically to improve the competition 3.

I have been lifting/working out/torturing myself for many many years. It isn't enjoyment for me. It is discipline. Getting in the gym when I don't feel like it. Working around injuries.
It also helps if you have skeletons in your closet. I watched my dad lay in a bed and have someone else wipe his ass because he never took care of himself. That reaffirmed my desire to continue eating decently and working out. Same thing happened to my mom, she ended up in a wheelchair sitting in a nursing home.
So at 54, when I wake up and I am sore as hell, don't want to get out of bed, let alone workout, I do it. I get up and get it done.

Hope that helps :)

Bry

Those who take the easy way out in training and decide to do fun stuff instead of the real stuff, just like you, will always be mediocre lifters who win combat sports because of Diaz-like trickery.
I feel like @Baby Hanma and @Trabaho should have a dedicated thread where they share their wealth of knowledge and shit on anyone who tries to comment.

I’d say they’re the same person but Baby is a better writer.
You guys are so bored trying to hold grudges and win meaningless arguments vs strangers online. Fat old and boring. If it wasn't true you wouldn't be bothered. Hit a nerve. Probably your dick is soft too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back