how to deal with Alex pereira's untelgraphed leg kicks?

Plenty of kickboxers/thai fighters throw low leg kicks/ calf kicks with 0 load. Takerus lead leg game is entirely built off that alongside current highly ranked thais like Superbon and Tawanchai.

The issue is that MMA fighters do not adopt a check ready stance. Jiri sits very very low for example and his foot while bouncing is turned in which just gives Alex the free pass to smash it to pieces.

Good points.
Thais are always ready to check a kick.
With no ground game to worry about they can stay light on that front foot.

Overall I think they have the best kicking game on earth tbf sir.

kicks are just a trap that leads to the left hook. The best way to deal with this is to close the distance+TDs.

Need someone like Conor or the Chris who has a metal leg go in there against him.

Main problem with this is his speed and size. Trying to stand with the guy is just not working. Maybe someone will find a weakness soon, possibly a guy like Ankalaev if he doesn’t brainfart like in the Jan fight.
Came here to say Uncle Aev and Jan. Needs to be wrestling heavy with a serious threat in the hands.

I always loved how Thais kick each other, even in play.
I think it would benefit a lot of these guys to go get kicked endlessly by some Thais.

Obviously Thais have shin conditioning down to a science.
Yeah I think a lot of it has to do with Thais' timing and technique too. In MMA overall kicking technique is generally crude & basic.

Yeah I think a lot of it has to do with Thais' timing and technique too. In MMA overall kicking technique is generally crude & basic.

True, and also Thais don't have to worry about wrestling lol.

Close the distance,take his ass down,avoid the guillotine,break the wrist lock,and bring down the THUNDA

Close the distance,take his ass down,avoid the guillotine,break the wrist lock,and bring down the THUNDA

Very few fighters bring the thunda from top position anymore sir.

It's common practice to pressure the kicker. If you permit too much space, that allows them range to kick. Alex is also a tall and lanky guy. Fighting him on the outside is a bad move anyway unless you're better at it than him... Though, stopping his kicks is only one part of the solution. He still has that monster left hook, which he can throw without a set up and still land it. Probably a style that mixes pressure, infighting (dirty boxing and clinch work), and TDs is the best recipe.

TDs.

fightign southpaw. His left calf kicks aint as effective as his rights. Good for Hill btw, but not enough for the win IMHO.

Straight counters, I'm guessing. It doesn't have to be anything heavy or fight-ending, but something to make him not want to throw them.

TDs.

fightign southpaw. His left calf kicks aint as effective as his rights. Good for Hill btw, but not enough for the win IMHO.
I don’t understand why this isn’t the standard when fighting him. Make him prove he can leg kick Lefty’s and Righty’s like Gaethje has proven it. Besides that pressure and combination counters works best against leg kickers, always. Gaethje is a p4p excellent leg kicker & Olivera started countering & Poirier was able to counter consistently in their first bout.

Nothing like rolling a wooden rolling pin on your shins :D
Mostly a myth

Thai shin conditioning is largely the result of starting training very young and doing thousands upon thousands of repetitions per week on rock-hard bags, plus regular fights.

The Thais actually talk about someone having "a boxer's skeleton", meaning just a hard as fuck bone density that it hurts to connect with / feels heavy as fuck when it lands on you.

Their timing is also next-level, again due to starting at a very young age and logging thousands upon thousands of play-sparring and real-fight hours over the years. They've seen / done / felt it all.

K-1 had a policy of no more than one Thai fighter on the roster at any one time because they knew Thais had a high chance of dominating the pool otherwise.

Look at how Sitthichai and Petpanomrung dominated their weight categories in GLORY for so long; most of their fights looked borderline untroubled by the opposition, yet the opponents were consistently some of the best kickboxers out there.

I think the best way is lifting your pivot leg, then counter with a straight right.

Just like Charles did with Gaethje. (Unfortunately I dont used to gifs, to attach here )

The problem is that aprouch can lead you straight to a left hook counter.

I think is no coincidence that this left hook is the the strike that he knocked out most of his opponents.
Everyone get mad being poked by that calf kick, then rush in to eat that left hook.

So you need to be cautious, cause if you're got caught by a feint, and try to counter with the straight, you can be knocked out, but I think is the only way.

Back