how to deal with Alex pereira's untelgraphed leg kicks?

KronGraciebuttscoot.gif

1701212594911.png

Last edited:
Pereira melted elite kickboxers with his leg kicks too.
In Glory the only success people had was in the pocket. Alex is slow in the pocket and if he doesn't clinch his defence can be cracked open. At range though? I don't think anybody in the world in KB or MMA can outstrike Pereira at range for MW or LHW he's just too sharp with his jab, left hook and all of his kicks.

and dont say spamming TDAs because hes getting better at stuffing em, i would even go as far as to say hes better than most 205ers.
his leg kick defence is also impressive, kinda similar to Jose Aldo's. the way he bring his lead foot up to his rear knee so when the kick misses/skims his leg
it doesn't put him out of stance.

ufc-alex-pereira.gif

its true that Izzy's calf kick defense isn't great, but it's not terrible. A lot of it has to do with how Alex throws them. It's interesting that he doesn't pivot with the other leg.
Non-traditional but just straight superb technique and effectiveness. even Jiri with his unorthodox and chaotic approach was not enough.
how would you deal with it?
Most of it has to do with footwork, positioning, and evasive movement. It makes it a little harder to anticipate since he does not telegraph, but option 2 would be to have a light front foot enabling you to lift the leg out of danger.
Option 3: stay out of range until you are ready to sit down on your punches to make him hesitant/ pay for those kicks.

Pereira melted elite kickboxers with his leg kicks too.
In Glory the only success people had was in the pocket. Alex is slow in the pocket and if he doesn't clinch his defence can be cracked open. At range though? I don't think anybody in the world in KB or MMA can outstrike Pereira at range for MW or LHW he's just too sharp with his jab, left hook and all of his kicks.
Izzy KO’d him and was winning their last KB match and 1st MMA match(till Poatan’s left hook changed the game) so there is proof that it can be done. Just not easily or even likely.

I don’t understand why this isn’t the standard when fighting him. Make him prove he can leg kick Lefty’s and Righty’s like Gaethje has proven it.
Most fighters just can't effectively fight out of both stances. Easier said than done to just fight southpaw when you're an orthodox fighter.

Most fighters who "switch" do so for about 10 seconds, realise they're uncomfortable in that stance and just revert back.

Let's say fighting out of your weaker stance to avoid getting leg kicked, you're only 70% as effective in your weaker stance compared to your stronger stance. So now you're fighting one of the most accomplished strikers of all time, at 70% of your capacity.

So it's pick your poison. Either get leg kicked or fight 25 minutes in a stance you're not truly comfortable in.

Back