How to Design a Diet

Love this thread it got me off my ass to start tracking my macros and working on my cut. I train alot prob 10-15 hours a week a lot of times two times a day. I started out at 201lbs about 11 days ago according to MYFP. I read this thread and some tiddbits from Lyle Mcdonald and set my macros at 35p 35f 30c at 2700 calories a day. My maintence calories I calculated to be 3000. 200*15. So I did a 10% deficit but now I'm down to 196 in 11 days so 4-5lbs in 11 days is that too fast? I don't want to be losing any lean mass. I've been usually within range of my goal of 2700 without ever going over maintence but I feel 5 lbs is alot no?

Love this thread it got me off my ass to start tracking my macros and working on my cut. I train alot prob 10-15 hours a week a lot of times two times a day. I started out at 201lbs about 11 days ago according to MYFP. I read this thread and some tiddbits from Lyle Mcdonald and set my macros at 35p 35f 30c at 2700 calories a day. My maintence calories I calculated to be 3000. 200*15. So I did a 10% deficit but now I'm down to 196 in 11 days so 4-5lbs in 11 days is that too fast? I don't want to be losing any lean mass. I've been usually within range of my goal of 2700 without ever going over maintence but I feel 5 lbs is alot no?

Most of that is water weight due to you eating fewer carbs. If you got eat a pizza or something it'll all come back :)

Somehow this thread has yet to become a sticky. This is madness!

Very interesting thread. That Body Fit thing looks really impressive.

Very interesting thread. That Body Fit thing looks really impressive.

I highly recommend it. It's usually off by a certain percentage, but it's consistently off, which is crucially important. Mine is exactly 10% overestimating my calories, so I just multiply the day's numbers by .9, and I'm done. Much easier than spending a 2+ months trying to figure out how much you burn in a given session.

I highly recommend it. It's usually off by a certain percentage, but it's consistently off, which is crucially important. Mine is exactly 10% overestimating my calories, so I just multiply the day's numbers by .9, and I'm done. Much easier than spending a 2+ months trying to figure out how much you burn in a given session.

Thanks for your input btw. I put it on the top of my secret santa list so we'll see if I get it.

If not, I'll prob buy a used one on ebay for $50 or so.

Thanks for your input btw. I put it on the top of my secret santa list so we'll see if I get it.

If not, I'll prob buy a used one on ebay for $50 or so.

I would feel terrible for the person who would buy mine for $50. It's survived 100+ rolls, probably 30 MMA rounds, lots of 5ks, and one disgustingly hot Virginia summer (something I'm sure you can empathize with). You can't really scrub it like you'd want to. The sensors are pretty delicate if the user manual is to be believed...:p

I would feel terrible for the person who would buy mine for $50. It's survived 100+ rolls, probably 30 MMA rounds, lots of 5ks, and one disgustingly hot Virginia summer (something I'm sure you can empathize with). You can't really scrub it like you'd want to. The sensors are pretty delicate if the user manual is to be believed...:p

Well then hopefully I get a new one as a gift! Lol. Even new ones on ebay sell for cheaper than on the site so we'll see.

I remember you talking about it for BJJ one time. Did you ever get a reasonable estimate about how many calories are burned in a class?

Well then hopefully I get a new one as a gift! Lol. Even new ones on ebay sell for cheaper than on the site so we'll see.

I remember you talking about it for BJJ one time. Did you ever get a reasonable estimate about how many calories are burned in a class?

I wouldn't expect calories burned during a bjj class to be anywhere near consistent from class to class, let alone from person to person.

I wouldn't expect calories burned during a bjj class to be anywhere near consistent from class to class, let alone from person to person.

Agreed. But he has 100+ rolls using his device, so he probably has an idea of the number of calories burned while rolling at an average pace (or at least a range).

In any case, he has better data than any of us have and I'd love to hear it.

What is the difference between the BodyMedia FIT LINK and CORE armbands?

is it just the bluetooth?

What is the difference between the BodyMedia FIT LINK and CORE armbands?

is it just the bluetooth?

They have various online functionality as well. The LINK is the best one with the highest degree of usability.

They have various online functionality as well. The LINK is the best one with the highest degree of usability.

I don't have a smartphone, would that make a big difference in choosing between the two products?

I don't have a smartphone, would that make a big difference in choosing between the two products?

Yes. However, if you buy the LINK, you'll think it's so cool that you'll want to buy a smartphone. Also, the LINK allows you to sync select HR monitors to its interface, which is unbelievably helpful and awesome.

Yes. However, if you buy the LINK, you'll think it's so cool that you'll want to buy a smartphone. Also, the LINK allows you to sync select HR monitors to its interface, which is unbelievably helpful and awesome.

Thanks for the info Path. from my brief research it looks like Garmin devices can be synced. I have a Polar FT7 and as of now, have not found any documentation regarding its functionality with the Garmin communicator plugin.

It is surprisingly few, actually. A roll averages about 7 calories burned per minute for me (160 lbs when I last rolled), and my baseline is about 1.4 calories burned per minute, so on average it burns about 5.5 extra calories per minute. It is surprisingly consistent by class because we have a similar number of rounds and similar training partners. Running at a steady pace is about 8.5 extra calories per minute, just for a reference.

Keep rolling, gentlemen. ;)

Thanks for the info Path. from my brief research it looks like Garmin devices can be synced. I have a Polar FT7 and as of now, have not found any documentation regarding its functionality with the Garmin communicator plugin.

The CORE model might be the one for you, then! :)

It is surprisingly few, actually. A roll averages about 7 calories burned per minute for me (160 lbs when I last rolled), and my baseline is about 1.4 calories burned per minute, so on average it burns about 5.5 extra calories per minute. It is surprisingly consistent by class because we have a similar number of rounds and similar training partners. Running at a steady pace is about 8.5 extra calories per minute, just for a reference.

I can see that being relatively accurate. BJJ, especially in the gi, is a lot of stop and go - explosion followed by "rest." So its a mix between anaerobic work and very low level aerobic.

Though jogging may have an overall higher expenditure per minute, I would say that BJJ makes up for that with greater EPOC. So overall you will burn more by training bjj than by just running (unless you incorporate sprints).

Given what you posted, I'd guess I burn under 500 calories per bjj class (if I roll 6 times, and do a light warmup and drills).

Place I track calories had 350 calories per 30 minutes. A session for me is a full 2 hours but I'd never count that as that was obscenely high. I'd just count the minutes I did rolling at the end. Normally about 25-40 minutes. I figured that ~400 cals is about right for warmup, drilling technique, then rolling casually at the end. We definitely don't muscle or go hard at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brendan The Hybrid Schaub
Back