How To Never Get Your BJJ Guard Passed by Xande Ribeiro

GordoBarraBJJ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I normally don't to post these videos of upcoming instructional's but this one popped up on my feed - I'm assuming that he is coming out with a dvd (I mainly buy from Digitsu if I do end up buying an instructional as I feel their quality is the best).

Anyhow, long snippet (19mins or so)

funyn xande is the last guy id think would release a dvd on this

Then you aren't familiar with Xande.
I know people that went to some of his seminars, he teaches guard retention frequently.

Here a 1 hour and a half seminar about the same subject

Actually Xande is one of the best every for this. Never got his guard passed and the video above was one of the best online on the subject .

Actually Xande is one of the best every for this. Never got his guard passed and the video above was one of the best online on the subject .

im sure xande has a great guard but in competition he was super top game tbh havent watched him compete since 2011 though i know he went armbar happy at adcc 2017 tho

Why is that.
cause xande was known for his great base and top control passing stocky muscular guy no gi obviously he knows more than all of us put together on this internet forum but way i see it is with the price of dvds ect i feel that guys should teach their very best parts of their game on what they had great success at

X
Then you aren't familiar with Xande.
I know people that went to some of his seminars, he teaches guard retention frequently.

Here a 1 hour and a half seminar about the same subject

I love this video. The concepts are straightforward and do not rely on any special attributes to put into place.

If you haven't had your guard passed for 14yrs I would assume that is one of the best parts of his game.

Suffice to say both the Ribeiro brothers know BJJ backwards and forwards. Not super exciting players IMO, but they have ridiculously effective and efficient games.

Suffice to say both the Ribeiro brothers know BJJ backwards and forwards. Not super exciting players IMO, but they have ridiculously effective and efficient games.
I'd take super effective and efficient if it meant a game like Xande.

Xande has been on his back against alot of the best passes in the sport. Not getting his guard passed would definitely be something he would be qualified to teach.

In the video he said that the last time his guard was passed was 2005. Would that be his match with Marcelo at adcc?

The videos itt are money. I've had three classes since watching the vid in the OP last week, and it's changing the way I roll. Going to study the vid to extract more detail.

Last edited:
If you haven't had your guard passed for 14yrs I would assume that is one of the best parts of his game.

I'm going to be facetious here, bt Xande wasn't known for playing a lot of guard in those 14 years.

More of a top player/pressure game ain't it? Don't get me wrong, not doubting his ability or knowledge at all

The videos itt are money. I've had three classes since watching the vid in the OP last week, and it's changing the way I roll. Going to study the vid to extract more detail.
For sure - I've been out for almost 2 months because of health reasons. Got my first session in last night and my guard /retention (stopping the pass) was noticeably better.

For sure - I've been out for almost 2 months because of health reasons. Got my first session in last night and my guard /retention (stopping the pass) was noticeably better.

Yeah, that "stomach ache" crunch from open half is ridiculously effective. I need to practice it more but trying it for the first time in rolling it was way more effective than the way I was doing it (the "common mistake" he talked about of framing against other guy's neck and pushing up).

I'd say that small tweak is about as much of a game changer as the one in Rickson's video where he shows to tilt your head away and upa straight over your shoulder when mounted.

Both are just awesome little details that make a huge difference.

Is it me or does it seem like it is formatted out of order?
The techniques seem money though. Retention and escapes are a weak part of my game and I’m confident this Instructional will help.

Back