I just saw Sicario for the first time.

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good movie. I like movies that keep it real. The "good guys" were a government task force fighting against the drug trade in Mexico but they have to resort to some bad actions including
eliminating the competition so there is only one distributor (that the US can better control)

In any case, another aspect of this movie I liked was that it had absolutely none of the unrealistic feminist shit. Kate (played by Emily Blunt) was the only female in the task force. She had difficulty hanging with the ol' boys... At one point of the movie, she tried to run up on Josh Brolin's character, he threw her on her ass... John Berthal's character, threw her on her ass... Benicio Del Toro's character, the same. I didn't particularly enjoy them beating up a chick, it was just a breath of fresh air from the usual 125 pound girl beats up 10 Brock Lesnars, shoots 25 trained Marines... twirls her gun then says "I grew up with 10 brothers."

One was able to feel a sense of fear in the scenes, sympathize with the main character, because she was human and not a trope.

What other action movies are there with a female protaganist that isn't boringly overpowered?

I'd say:

1. Lisbeth Salander in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. She was able to fight off guys but in a realistic way, it wasn't with much ease.

2. Charlize Theron in Atomic blonde... kinda. She was a highly trained operative who fought off a bunch of henchmen, but she got her ass kicked in the process. It wasn't on some Charlie's Angels, Jumanji (reboot) somersaulting through the air, type crap.

What are some others?

I need to see it. Been wanting to but Sherdog takes up all my time.
cBxq5Ld.png

Ripley. She was a great character. Strong but not some ridiculous ball busting over the top, over compensating feminist. She had guts and a brain and took charge when someone needed to step up.
I can't think of many others though and this may not be what you meant anyway

Does the movie take place in Juarez? Maybe thats another movie.

Ripley. She was a great character. Strong but not some ridiculous ball busting over the top, over compensating feminist. She had guts and a brain and took charge when someone needed to step up.
I can't think of many others though and this may not be what you meant anyway

From Alien? Okay. I think I saw it when I was too young to remember, gotta check it out again.

Good movie. I like movies that keep it real. The "good guys" were a government task force fighting against the drug trade in Mexico but they have to resort to some bad actions including
eliminating the competition so there is only one distributor (that the US can better control)

In any case, another aspect of this movie I liked was that it had absolutely none of the unrealistic feminist shit. Kate (played by Emily Blunt) was the only female in the task force. She had difficulty hanging with the ol' boys... At one point of the movie, she tried to run up on Josh Brolin's character, he threw her on her ass... John Berthal's character, threw her on her ass... Benicio Del Toro's character, the same. I didn't particularly enjoy them beating up a chick, it was just a breath of fresh air from the usual 125 pound girl beats up 10 Brock Lesnars, shoots 25 trained Marines... twirls her gun then says "I grew up with 10 brothers."

One was able to feel a sense of fear in the scenes, sympathize with the main character, because she was human and not a trope.

What other action movies are there with a female protaganist that isn't boringly overpowered?

I'd say:

1. Lisbeth Salander in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. She was able to fight off guys but in a realistic way, it wasn't with much ease.

2. Charlize Theron in Atomic blonde... kinda. She was a highly trained operative who fought off a bunch of henchmen, but she got her ass kicked in the process. It wasn't on some Charlie's Angels, Jumanji (reboot) somersaulting through the air, type crap.

What are some others?

Aliens and t2

I liked the brave one with Jodie foster

Also Clarice starling

All 3 good watches
Dig Atomic & Sicario more though.
They are on late night boozy pre knock out comfort watch list.

Day of Soldado is good as well. U
Should give a whirl.
27949e2af399e524f59987064d2651e6.gif

Liked the cut of this cat’s jib in both of those flicks.
sicario-2b.gif

@TidWell if u make a he’s so dreamy type thread bout Brolly, I’ll post in it bud.

Sicario was great. It's the last movie that really made me feel a true sense of danger and dread. OP listed off a ton of great points. It really was a breath of fresh air in modern Hollywood. But I'm still trying to figure out what happened in that interrogation room.
<WhatIsThis>

Not action but Winter’s Bone with Jennifer Lawrence is excellent and realistic portrayal of a strong female character

Sicario is one of my favorite movies of the last 20 years. Well acted, well shot, and intense (that border scene...)

I liked Emily Blunt's character too. Even though she wasn't kicking guys around twice her size, she was still a strong female character in her own right. Wish Blunt would have got the Captain Marvel role over Brie Larson

Sicario was great. It's the last movie that really made me feel a true sense of danger and dread. OP listed off a ton of great points. It really was a breath of fresh air in modern Hollywood. But I'm still trying to figure out what happened in that interrogation room.
<WhatIsThis>

Benicio Del Toro stands with crotch in detainee's face... Camera pans to drain... imagination runs wild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back