I miss the less technical days

My only issue is fight schedule. LW and FW elite fighters aren't fighting at all

Striking is such a treat to watch because almost everybody has good set ups and uses feints well (I love watching the mind games and mental battle)
Grappling is so much more dynamic and every division isn't dominated with lay n pray fighters like it used to be.

Point fighting isn't an issue IMO because it takes tons of skill to do it and skill is entertaining for me..... We used to have a bunch of guy fight like Ilir Latifi (Against Lewis) littered in every single division, that hug and wait shit is boring.

My only issue is fight schedule. LW and FW elite fighters aren't fighting at all

Striking is such a treat to watch because almost everybody has good set ups and uses feints well (I love watching the mind games and mental battle)
Grappling is so much more dynamic and every division isn't dominated with lay n pray fighters like it used to be.

Point fighting isn't an issue IMO because it takes tons of skill to do it and skill is entertaining for me..... We used to have a bunch of guy fight like Ilir Latifi (Against Lewis) littered in every single division, that hug and wait shit is boring.

image.png

Well there have been more rules put in place, for both the safety of the fighters and to make it more main stream, so it's actually not as real as it gets today. Also it's not as intriguing as it you used to be, since everyone trains everything. It was initially the proving grounds for fighters to determine which style was the best.

It seems as MMA evolves and fighters get more well rounded and intelligent .. the fight quality suffers. So many boring decision fests or point games where not much happens

fighters are too good and can't do as much to each other as they used to

I miss the days when fighters were less skilled and the fights were more EXCITING because of it

fighters who don't know wtf they're doing always entertain more than those who know too much

Do you think Chuck Liddell could survive in today's environment for example if he emerged today? Back then he could get away with a reduced skillset and got away well and was hella entertaining!

wait aren’t you canadian I thought you were supposed to campaign for the beauty of evasion and defensive psychological chess boxing or something

Fitch, Pierce, Castillo, Maynard, Koshcheck, Davis, Bader, Hendricks were all guys that lay n prayed like this for wins against closely skilled opponents on a regular basis, these guys either evolved (Bader) or the sport grew past them.

It seems as MMA evolves and fighters get more well rounded and intelligent .. the fight quality suffers. So many boring decision fests or point games where not much happens

I miss the days when fighters were less skilled and the fights were more EXCITING because of it

fighters who don't know wtf they're doing always entertain more than those who know too much

Do you think Chuck Liddell could survive in today's environment for example if he emerged today? Back then he could get away with a reduced skillset and got away well and was hella entertaining!

I agree that MMA has evolved and fighters are more well rounded and intelligent... but I disagree about the quality of fights suffering.

Fights are much better. Rock'em sock'em fights are boring. It's like preferring heads or tails for gambling rather than a Texas Hold'em tournament.

What we get to see now is the epitome of MMA fighting.

As far as Chuck Liddell in his prime I think he beats the brakes off the Jon Jones I've watched in his last few fights. chuck-liddell.jpg

trust me … it is only getting worse aka super super boring.
Fedor v Cro Cop fight was 10 years ago and Pretty much no one knows how to counter a left kick

they still dont know how to jab, they dont understand distance and how to Control etc

if you find it boring now, you wont like the future --- LOL

Last edited:

The 90s was better than today's generation of point fighters.

Bellator's a good option. They took the Pride model of feeding complete cans to their up and comers for the highlight reel finishes. What's even more entertaining is when that doesn't work. Just ask Tyrell Fortune.

I don’t like how everyone can “manage” on the ground all the time now. Used to if a guy had “high level jiu jitsu” you could get excited for a often probable submission finish. Submissions seem so much rarer these days than ten years ago.

it’s one thing to get a heavy shot and make your opponent’s brain turn off for a minute, but there’s just something about grabbing another mans arm and pulling on it in such a way he may often scream outloud for mercy Allah please stop ripping my arm off it hurts too bad, and another man has to stop that fighter from pulling anymore that is just badass.

miss the submission game in MMA

You must really love the regional circuits up to about LFA level or so. Plenty of wild exchanges with little care in the world.

People say this but then refuse to watch any of the smaller promotions with less technical fighters.

Back