I want to increase my punching power, what exercises are best?

Who would punch harder, a hypothetical clone of Mike Tyson that didn't ever touch a weight or do any strength training or anything but ~speed work (and didn't do steroids probably lol) or the Mike Tyson that existed in our universe?

Obviously the latter is going to hit harder. People lift and workout for a reason.

Why obviously the latter?
Are you suggesting that Tyson in his prime was on steroids or are you suggesting that he did a lot of strength training? From what I understand he did almost no strength training, just extremely high rep calisthenics. Also sounds like the only weights he used were extremely high rep shrugs.

I'm not saying that strength training won't have a positive effect on punching power but this example is just confusing me.

Are you suggesting that Tyson in his prime was on steroids or are you suggesting that he did a lot of strength training? From what I understand he did almost no strength training, just extremely high rep calisthenics. Also sounds like the only weights he used were extremely high rep shrugs.

I'm not saying that strength training won't have a positive effect on punching power but this example is just confusing me.

I bet he lifted in his prime, and I'd extend strength training to push ups and weighted neck harness and neck bridges honestly. The premise is that "muscle" or excess muscle isn't "good" here.

As for his prime like you said. Apparently prior to 1995 he allegedly didn't lift weights. I still find that hard to believe.

Guy was 5'10 and weighed 230-240lbs jacked. So for one I'd definitely bet a lot of money on him using steroids for sure. Secondly, I just don't buy it. Just like Herschel Walker being 50 and fucking jacked and claiming never to lift weights (even though he was a HS-College-NFL football player lmao) it's just too fantastical to believe.

I'd bet he did ghetto shit like push cars and farmers carries with random heavy shit. He definitely loaded his calisthenics to some degree as well, blurring the line - if indeed he "didn't lift" at all.

So maybe it was a bad example to use lol, but whatever. I still don't but that narrative, people love that shit to claim they didn't lift or to highlight sparring/pads/heavy bag work and leave out the S&C work.

I bet he lifted in his prime, and I'd extend strength training to push ups and weighted neck harness and neck bridges honestly. The premise is that "muscle" or excess muscle isn't "good" here.

As for his prime like you said. Apparently prior to 1995 he allegedly didn't lift weights. I still find that hard to believe.

Guy was 5'10 and weighed 230-240lbs jacked. So for one I'd definitely bet a lot of money on him using steroids for sure. Secondly, I just don't buy it. Just like Herschel Walker being 50 and fucking jacked and claiming never to lift weights (even though he was a HS-College-NFL football player lmao) it's just too fantastical to believe.

I'd bet he did ghetto shit like push cars and farmers carries with random heavy shit. He definitely loaded his calisthenics to some degree as well, blurring the line - if indeed he "didn't lift" at all.

So maybe it was a bad example to use lol, but whatever. I still don't but that narrative, people love that shit to claim they didn't lift or to highlight sparring/pads/heavy bag work and leave out the S&C work.

That video was made long after his prime.
I don't see why he would lie about lifting weights. It was very rare for boxers to lift weights back in the 80s. It's not like he was that big either, plenty of bigger heavy weights out there. Diet + Exercise + Genetics can go a long way. Yup, he was probably taking steroids, as was probably all of his competition. I think you'd be dumb not to, it's too much of a disadvantage.

Proper S&C programming is quite new in boxing. That being said, I think history would tell us that strength training does not have a huge effect on punching power. When comparing boxers of today's generation vs the past ... I don't really see anyone punching significantly harder than guys like Foreman, Liston, Tyson. Perhaps most boxers stick to the old methods of training, perhaps a sport like boxing doesn't allow for punching power to improve beyond where it is with the other needs (endurance, etc.). But if you look at sports like Football and Hockey, modern era speed and power has significantly improved and I think a lot of that is credited to improvements in training.

I don't see why he would lie about lifting weights. It was very rare for boxers to lift weights back in the 80s. It's not like he was that big either, plenty of bigger heavy weights out there. Diet + Exercise + Genetics can go a long way. Yup, he was probably taking steroids, as was probably all of his competition. I think you'd be dumb not to, it's too much of a disadvantage.

Proper S&C programming is quite new in boxing. That being said, I think history would tell us that strength training does not have a huge effect on punching power. When comparing boxers of today's generation vs the past ... I don't really see anyone punching significantly harder than guys like Foreman, Liston, Tyson. Perhaps most boxers stick to the old methods of training, perhaps a sport like boxing doesn't allow for punching power to improve beyond where it is with the other needs (endurance, etc.). But if you look at sports like Football and Hockey, modern era speed and power has significantly improved and I think a lot of that is credited to improvements in training.

Sure, I still would suspect he trained against resistance more than just doing BW pushups and squats. But it's possible and obviously genetics and doing the actual sport are the biggest factors (and PEDs).

So forget techniques etc forget timing this is purely from a strength and conditioning frame of mind.

Ive been told heavy squats deadlifts and Olympic lifts and nothing else is that good advice?

One arm medecine ball throws against a wall

Is it easier to walk through mud or air? Overly tensed muscles are the mud btw. Energy doesn't transfer as well trying to bench press someone's face vs throwing a technically sound punch.

I don't understand your scenarios applicability.

In a bench press you are tense throughout the lift.
When throwing a punch you initiate, relax and tense to absorb the impact.

There is no difference between a untrained person having not lifted and a untrained person having lifted when it comes to technique. The muscle boson would probably muscle himself through it for power to be fair and be slower. But that is just because he is 'flexing' himself through. Teach him technique and he'll be better then a trained non lifting individual (all variables being equal).

I don't understand your scenarios applicability.

In a bench press you are tense throughout the lift.
When throwing a punch you initiate, relax and tense to absorb the impact.

There is no difference between a untrained person having not lifted and a untrained person having lifted when it comes to technique. The muscle boson would probably muscle himself through it for power to be fair and be slower. But that is just because he is 'flexing' himself through. Teach him technique and he'll be better then a trained non lifting individual (all variables being equal).
Yes. Im referring to people who don't know how to punch thinking benching and tricep extensions are the source of punching power.

Yes. Im referring to people who don't know how to punch thinking benching and tricep extensions are the source of punching power.
You should probably caveat your responses with that scene setting then instead of assuming I know that.

You should probably caveat your responses with that scene setting then instead of assuming I know that.
I assume if someone is looking for exercises to increase punching power, they are indeed untrained. My response was not aimed at you, you just felt the need to reply to it.

Pavel says kettlebell snatches are the closest thing to being in a fight so perhaps these are the golden ticket, TS.

Probably? Mike Tyson is on video admitting that he used to use his wife's piss to pass drug tests until he got worried it would show up pregnant. So he turned to his son's urine to beat tests. He even mentioned the specific device, the whizzinator.

He was definitely on steroids and he was definitely lifting weights. Still a freak athlete regardless.

I assume if someone is looking for exercises to increase punching power, they are indeed untrained. My response was not aimed at you, you just felt the need to reply to it.

Pavel says kettlebell snatches are the closest thing to being in a fight so perhaps these are the golden ticket, TS.

That's fair enough, although we had already exchanged a few messages previously. But never mind.

Side note; I was always looking for ways beyond technique repetition to increase power generation (across the gambit of methods, ie physical as well a supplementation with creatine). You do tend to put it to the background as you become more experienced though over correct timing, but the quest never goes way.

Was Pavel talking about energy systems, CNS, work/rest ratio?
He wasn't a fighter but trained fighters?

Its mostly technique and genetics, but like anything you can increase it by 30 percent at least.

Building your strength with weights doesn't hurt but you better be prepared to do so for years to really see a return on your investment in punching power.

As far as what you can do other then technique to see a pretty immediate return on investment. Kettlebell swings, snatches, cleans and presses. You will see a difference within a month if you use kettlebells 5 times a week for 30min. Something about being loose throughout the movement with the explosive motion. I'm speaking purely from personal experience.

Technique wise, one thing that's sometimes skipped over is using the non punching hand/side of the body as a counter weight during the motion. When you punch the bag go slow first, and correct your mistakes. It helps if you train at a good boxing or muay thai gym.

Also taking a private from a boxing coach once a month if you can afford it will do wonders for you.

also LOL at your sig are you for real cunt?
I hope he isn't. TRT is not testosterone replacement at the dosages doctors prescribe. For example a gentetically gifted 20 year old produces about 80mg of testosterone a week. The lowest dosage I ever seen prescribed is about a 120mg and most of them are 160 to 240mg per week which is performance enhancing. Just because someones total testosterone is the same doesn't mean shit as the TRT guys free testosterone will be many times higher.

first off are you using weighted 2- 4 lbs gloves

second when you hit the bag do yo use MMA gloves or boxing gloves

best way to hit harder is .. the row .. working your lats seated row

He definitely did lift some weights while in prison though. And he sure came out looking insanely ripped. I think that is one of the reasons he still had that aura initially, after prison, even though common sense said that a Tyson that had already deteriorated without Rooney would naturally have slid even further after such a long layoff.

Heavy med ball pushes against a wall, holding it up high just above the shoulder, flat palm behind ball and in side stance both sides, other hand in front of it.

Not just trying to blast it with the arm/chest/shoulder, but reps working on launching it from rear leg and hip, upper body just carrying it but it will follow what the lower body does. Really good for getting the feeling of the legs doing the work

Are you getting paid to advertise these things?
No. I don't even speak English. I just like something new. And you all give advice those that were used by Alexander the Great )))

Back