If Chimaev beats Usman and then wins the MW title against Strickland, was it well earned?

If Chimaev beats Usman and than wins the MW title against Strickland, was it well earned?

• Total voters
Beating Usman still counts for quite a bit in my book, but Dricus would still deserve it faaaar more. Still, I voted yes as those 2 wins would be great.

If DDP didn't KO Whittaker in dominant fashion then it could be justified. However, DDP earned his damn shot and if Khamzat steal it, then it's completely bullshit. Imagine if a FW like Topuria were to KO Holloway in a dominant showing and he still didn't get a title shot. Whittaker is basically the MW version of Holloway, the clear consensus #2 fighter with a stacked resume. A victory over either, especially via a finish should guarantee a title shot with a full camp.

If you beat the champ, you deserve the title

How ridiculous does a fighter look who is photographed with someone else's belt as with his own. It's like a little kid taking pictures with a military uniform. I hope he never comes close to a real title.

Misses weight, is rewarded with a title eliminator in a weight class he has two non-ranked wins in from three years ago against a Welterweight. I guess it was worth it for him.

In all honesty, DDP should be next after the Whittaker win.

DDP is of course ahead of him after beating Whittaker. But other than that, MW is a mess so Chimaev probably is the #2 in line for a title shot. Never let Costa near a title shot - if he wins, it means we will get 1 title fight a year max.

Dricus has put in the time, work, professionalism and beat the number one contender. Also has like 6 or 7 straight wins at MW without missing weight.

Khamzat beating an aged welterweight former champ should not allow him to skip the line
2 fights ago he was the p4p king.... and he didnt look bad in the first fight either

It doesn't matter.
If you beat the champ you are champ.

Certainly not and this whole idea of 'if he beats the champ that makes it legit' is nonsense too. The hardest part is earning a title shot but now Dana's giving fighters such different paths it can't be seen as legit. It's much easier when you're given a shot off one top 10 win than if you're forced to fight 5 or 6 top 10s.

It's pretty crystal clear I'm a fan of his. The reason I'm saying if Brock can get a title shot off a 2-1 record, it's pretty much the same scenario. But at least Khamzat has fought more legit guys than Brock and beaten these legit guys.
Even Brock had 2 wins against actual HWs to get that shot though. In this scenario, Khamzat has never fought at MW and so would get a TS off of the strength of beating a former WW champ who has also never fought a ranked MW ever in his career. I mean, Usman is totally unranked in that weight class. Who ever heard of such a thing?

Last edited:
Certainly not and this whole idea of 'if he beats the champ that makes it legit' is nonsense too. The hardest part is earning a title shot but now Dana's giving fighters such different paths it can't be seen as legit. It's much easier when you're given a shot off one top 10 win than if you're forced to fight 5 or 6 top 10s.
Amen, I hate that silly argument. “Welp, he won the title so obviously he deserved it.”
No, being able to beat the champ and doing enough to earn the shot to fight the champ are two different things.

Even Brock had 2 wins against actual HWs to get that shot though. In this scenario, Khamzat has never fought at MW and so would get a TS off of the strength of beating a former WW champ who has also never fought at 185 ever in his career. I mean, Usman is totally unranked in that weight class. Who ever heard of such a thing?

lol true that. It's definitely very unusual. The UFC definitely going all in with Khamzat. So we will see what happens.

Hell no, blatant favoritism. If he beats Usman (a WW) he bypasses all for a titleshot without a single top 15 win?

WTF, who could ever consider that well earned?
honestly, if they just wanted to have this fight for the next WW title fight i'd be fine with it, but MW has a VERY clear No. 1 contender right now.

He can do this, but it wont be earned.
And its because of his own inactivity

He is turning 30 soon and his last fight was more than a year ago. He better do it now.

Yes. He should have been given a title shot 2 years ago.

He should have to have a #1 contender fight if he gets past WW Usman

Back