• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If fury beat usyk he will cement as the greatest hw of all time.

I wasn't talking about MMA, I was talking about most sports. MMA is actually too young as a sport to be counted, I agree.

Ok so you agree with this.

No idea about NFL, I'm European. How about baseball and basketball?

Fair enough, i'm English but it was just an example.

Today's top soccer teams would beat the 70s or 80s soccer teams, come on. Also, Messi and Ronaldo are considered the best, not only Pele and Maradona.

If you really think Ronaldo and Messi are considered better players than George Best, Pele and Maradona then you don't know what you're talking about. Any time you ask someone who the greatest players ever are they will mention those names, not Messi and Ronaldo, that's just recency bias, not because the sport has evolved and has better players.

Todays tennis players would beat the past tennis players. They just got better. More money, more talent pool, better training methods, better nutrition... better PEDs (applies to every sport)

Now i do agree with Tennis but that's because the sport was still evolving. People like Steffi or even Serena dominated when the amount of top players was really low and players were far too one-dimensional. You look at the women's game now and it's so open because everyone is so good that you just can't dominate like Serena did, or like Nadal, Federer and Djokovic did/do on the men's side.

Not every sport evolves like this though.

Just look at the individual sports like running or swimming or powerlifting or olympic lifting or many other sports... how many records from the 60s and 70s are still standing?

You're right, but that's records based on single moment accomplishments, and not a whole sport evolving to a point where everyone is better than everyone from the past.

Apparently many people since many tennis players are rich.

Tennis players are rich as are most sport stars but again this has nothing to do with people being better at sports, that's just to do with the economy surrounding sports.

Back to boxing - I'm asking you again, do you think today's boxers easily beat people like SRR and Hagler?

@Xoleth also you have Izzy in your picture i see. Do you watch kickboxing? Because kickboxing hasn't evolved in years and the best kickboxers ever are Hoost, Schilt, Aerts, Buakaw and so on. Nobody today can be mentioned in a discussion for greatest ever except arguably Petro, and the HW division can't hold a candle to its glory days.

Do you think in 20 years kickboxing will suddenly evolve and people will be better than ever? That's not how it works.

If you really think Ronaldo and Messi are considered better players than George Best, Pele and Maradona then you don't know what you're talking about. Any time you ask someone who the greatest players ever are they will mention those names, not Messi and Ronaldo, that's just recency bias, not because the sport has evolved and has better players.

First of all, you have some good points and I appreciate your answer.

Back to soccer... people can be very nostalgic about the past.

Yes, I do believe a team formed from the top 11 players in 2022 will beat a team formed from the top 11 players in 1970, 1980.
I do believe that todays soccer clubs or nationals would beat the past ones.

And, by the way, I do appreciate more the old soccer and the old soccer players, although I don't watch soccer anymore, but used to. I didn't catch that period, but I've seen videos, it was more entertaining and players actually played for the love of the game.

But things have changed.
I do believe Maradona wouldn't be able to do today what he did in the past because tactics have improved and soccer players are better ar it.
He would still be a great player, of course. But not like he used to be. Tactics have changed a lot. Players are better at it.... there is more talent pool because the world population is bigger and because there are a lot of money invested in soccer. Not to mention Africa. How many top african players were there in the 60s or 70s? You had Europe and South America.

Not every sport evolves like this though.

The sports where a lot of money were invested evolved, though.
Also, the sports where individual records matter evolved.

You're right, but that's records based on single moment accomplishments, and not a whole sport evolving to a point where everyone is better than everyone from the past.

We can take the top 10/20/50 and compare their records.
Look at powerlifting, for example.
Look at olympic lifting.

The first 100 top swimmers from 2022 would easily win vs the top 100 of the 1980s.
And so on...

Tennis players are rich as are most sport stars but again this has nothing to do with people being better at sports, that's just to do with the economy surrounding sports.

And economy = more money > more talent pool & more resources invested in training methods, nutrition, tactics and so on...

Back to boxing - I'm asking you again, do you think today's boxers easily beat people like SRR and Hagler?

No, not easily, of course.
It depends on the fighters' style and other factors, but it would be competitive.
I am not much of a boxing lover although I do watch fights, but I've noticed this nostalgia on this forum (and not only) especially regarding Ali.
Every time someone says that a current boxer might be the best ever, someone brings some boxer from the 60s. Like that guy would destroy todays boxers... I am not saying someone from the 60s/70s would easily lose, I am saying it would be competitive.

Is it so weird to believe that Usyk or Fury could KO Ali?

And my question would: ok, why didn't evolved? What happened?
Why are the 60s and 70s boxers better than the present ones?
Tougher generation?

@Xoleth also you have Izzy in your picture i see. Do you watch kickboxing? Because kickboxing hasn't evolved in years and the best kickboxers ever are Hoost, Schilt, Aerts, Buakaw and so on. Nobody today can be mentioned in a discussion for greatest ever except arguably Petro, and the HW division can't hold a candle to its glory days.

Do you think in 20 years kickboxing will suddenly evolve and people will be better than ever? That's not how it works.

Kickboxing hasn't evolved because nobody invested in it.
It's a dead sport.
But boxing is the opposite. It grew, it draws money.
Why do you think some kickboxers moved to MMA? Because they weren't paid in KB.

a85VgLV_460s.jpg

If Fury beats Usyk and manages to keep boxing and winning for 3-4 years he would absolutely be in the GOAT discussion. I could see him beating Usyk but realistically he will probably be too mentally unstable to check all the boxes.

Ali lost to Ken Norton.
Joe Louis got wrecked by Schmelling.
I mean, outside your top 3 (Who I have as Ali, Lewis and Louis) who is there? Who accomplished more than Lewis?

Lewis fought everyone and he beat everyone. Its hard to come up with a relevant name in his era he didn't fight.

To be more clear, I wasn’t really debating your original take of Lewis’ place in history, but I admit I have a knee-jerk reaction when someone says Lewis (who I’m critical of at times) or any fighter “beat everyone they ever fought” without addressing the elephant in the room. It’s kind of sugar coating someone’s resume because it’s worded in a way that sounds like he never lost.

As for Ali losing to Norton being a parallel to Lewis, it was a split decision loss to a fighter who’s probably in the top 15 all time. I expect fighters to lose to other talents, even at their best. Maybe it’s me, but I don’t think it’s the same as getting KO’ed, let alone by two different fighters. Granted, he did redeem the actual losses, but the damage was done.

Despite my feelings about Lewis, it’s hard not to rank him very high. He was fighting in the second or third greatest crop of talent and showed a lot of consistency, which is a big deal.

No. No he would not.

Fury’s got a way to go to reach ATG status. However, if he gets by Usyk he can basically run the table for several more years of contenders and then theres a case.

People are weird.

He’s not even in the discussion of heavyweight GOAT. He outpointed and old Wlad, and has beaten Wilder, who himself has beaten….Ortiz?

His record is very underwhelming compared to his ability.

And Messi shits all over George Best ffs <45>

Thoughts ?

Hars to argue it. I think Fury has the style though 3 Wilder fights had to take something out of him. Dropped 4 times. One if which locked like a walk off KO.

IMHO Fury has the style to beat him. I think the Fury approach to bully Wilder was the approach Joshua needed. Fight dirty. Bully him. Lean on him. Hold. Wear the little guy down. Furthermore furry can box and slip or bully.

Fury main strength is by being undefeated.

However, Lennox beat the next generation dominant champion (Vitali) at almost 38 years old while Fury win against a 39 years old Wladimir was a bit boring to say the least + he has way more fights than Fury.

Honestly, trilogies should not happen in boxing, because Fury's resume lacks in opponent diversity.

Lenox ducked a rematch. He also had a fake floating British accent.

Back