Media Ilia Topuria: "Fighting Brian Ortega Makes MORE Sense, Max Can WAIT w/o BMF Belt"

If Max does fight illia and puts the belt on the line this little Spaniard better not just spam fucking takedowns. I don’t want to see any BMF title fight follow up to what we just witnessed spoiled by a wrestling heavy gameplan.

Also I believe Max starches him regardless of Topuira’s gameplan. I said this post Top beating Volk. Styles make fights and I think Max gives him major problems.

Oh dear this is a bit disappointing. Thought he was a warrior afraid of no one and yet he’s already picking who he fights and choosing someone with one win in four years. Hardly the mindset of a champion that wants to be the best by fighting the best etc

The BMF belt is pointless to the champion. It’s not like he is going to get double PPV points.

Topuria doesn't qualify for a BMF contender. Maybe in the future, but not yet
Why not? Topuria been banging people out left, right and centre.

Topuria is already a bad motherfucker. Belt for a belt, kinda makes it more interesting.

Think Max and Ilia is a sick fight! Not sure who would win at 145…

I mean, did Max ever say he wouldn't? The way it sounded, seemed like Max was under the impression Volk was first (which Ilia turned down), and the only comment Max had made was how un-BMF demanding the BMF belt was, which is 100% true.

Bringing up Ortega's name is a joke, and putting his name  anywhere near the word "sense" vaults right over a joke and straight into obvious bullshit
I haven’t seen anything where Max draws any kind of line about under what circumstances he’d take the fight, and people are deluding themselves if they really think Max of all people, the guy who was down to fight Khabib on no notice as the 145 champ, has any reservations.

I get Ilia is trying to leverage his status now, but he’s starting to seem like an insolent turd. Add to that the new band of ball swingers he’s got & it’s getting silly

Holloway would style and dominate this guy. Another fighter with zero successful title defenses if the fight happens. No wonder he wants Ortega lol who fights once every 3 years

Another sheep in wolfs clothing....where do they find these guys...

Diva formula -Fight a few select fights...Win belt .. then never take a real challenge again .
Like wtf... Where are all the real fighters and martial artists at... this guy playing games , with other peoples careers cuz hes play acting the part of a real fighter . .

Max is a real one though and will probably be down to put the BMF title down, just to get the chance to smash Topuria...Max is a lets stack the chips and let it ride kinda of guy thats why we love him...

WAR MAX BLESS

Well he already ducked volk and is ducking max he wants to stall the belt and wait for easier fights and make the most money I really hope Ortega subs him

If you fight the BMF champ, and beat him, wouldn't that make you the BMF?

I mean, the UFC is the one that decides if the BMF is on the line, not Max, I don't get how these guys work in the UFC but don't seem to know how it works.
Yeah UFC call the shots, and they NEED enough title shots to fill each PPV so they're not gonna have one fight "waste" one title shot by having the 145lb belt AND the BMF belt on the line for a single fight. Nope.

Topuria will, in the end, effectively be told what is happening.
Volka is out til end of the year (according to him etc and that is quite advisable anyway) and so Topuria will fight either Max or Ortega for title.

My view is....they'll offer him a fight which is Max in Spain to keep Topuria happy. Max doesn't mind travelling to Spain pretty sure he has said that and UFC will be acutely aware of how popular Topuria already is in Spain and having a whole country behind one fighter is a powerful thing and = $$$$ for everyone. UFC just need to confirm the logistics of which arena in Spain (will be Madrid or Barcelona).

I think Ortega is just being used as a bargaining chip by Topuria, I think he knows very well that UFC want Max as his 1st title-defense in late summer and then the winner gets Volka (or MAYBE Ortega) at end of 2024-ish.

Last edited:
If you fight the BMF champ, and beat him, wouldn't that make you the BMF?
When GSP beat the LW champ BJ Penn, did that make GSP the LW champ?

When Islam beat Volk, did Islam win the FW belt too?

Back