Max Holloway: 'BMF' Title Fight at UFC 300 Creates a 'Lot of Options'

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
max-holloway-justin-gaethje.jpg

While Max Holloway was eyeing a title shot, he also wanted to be on the UFC 300 card.

A “BMF” title fight against Justin Gaethje was good enough to make the latter a reality.

Holloway has bested the majority of the UFC’s featherweight division with the exception of reigning champion Alexander Volkanovski, who owns three victories over the Hawaiian. After earning consecutive victories over Arnold Allen and Chan Sung Jung, Holloway had been rallying for yet another shot against Volkanovski. However, the promotion decided to book “The Great” against undefeated Spanish contender Ilia Topuria for UFC 298 on Feb. 17 in Anaheim, California.

Things eventually worked out well for Holloway with a booking against Gaethje on the marquee UFC 300 card.

“Oliveira and Islam was booked, I just came off a big win with ‘Korean Zombie,’ and then the 45 title was booked too at the same time,” Holloway told Kevin Iole. “So, he had the ‘BMF’ belt and I like options. At 45, I think the next step for me is back for the title. We was being undeniable. We had that third fight with Volk. I had to go fight Arnold. We did that. They gave me the fight against ‘Korean Zombie’ over out in Asia, and that was a fun one. We did that, and what’s next is a title shot, we was thinking. They went a different way, and in this sport, having options is great.”

Holloway also likes the options that may open up with a potential win over Gaethje, as he could defend the ‘BMF’ strap in both divisions.

“It’s options,” he said. “I think a lot of doors are going to get opened, a lot of options are going to be open. We’ll see what happens. … First things first is the man in front of me. I got a dangerous guy in Justin Gaethje, but we’re going to handle him first, and then after that, like I said: It’s just a game of options. A lot of things can open up after this fight. That’s what I’m focused on. Focused on getting my hand raised, and shock the world, I guess... This is a card I really wanted to be a part of because I know I’m not going to be around for 400. And if I am, please tell me to retire."

Many believe Holloway will have a significant power disadvantage against Gaethje, who is currently a -225 favorite and coming off a head-kick knockout win over Dustin Poirier.

I like the fight in terms of potential just-bang, but I kind of feel Gaethje is going to put a horrific beatdown on Max, and potentially ruin him like he did Cucuy.

Max had a rough outting with Poirier due to the power, and Gaethje hits and kicks even harder.

Not hating on the match up, but a little concerned for Holloway here.

I expect Gaethje to clobber him but a Max title run at LW would be so hype and if he get win this fight it would put him within spitting distance of the belt. I like Gaethje but hoping Max pulls it off here.
Max becoming BMF champ and future fight vs Islam... in 2024

@Substance Abuse

giphy.gif

I like the fight in terms of potential just-bang, but I kind of feel Gaethje is going to put a horrific beatdown on Max, and potentially ruin him like he did Cucuy.

Max had a rough outting with Poirier due to the power, and Gaethje hits and kicks even harder.

Not hating on the match up, but a little concerned for Holloway here.

Said it all along. I don’t want this fight for Max.

Not a good fight for Max tbh, hope he’s bulked up a bit and taking the move to LW seriously. If he kinda comes in with one foot still in FW I think Geathje clobbers him

I hope those options don't include having a broken leg and a long time off after a potential beatdown from Gaethje

How does Max even win this?

He can't wear people down at 155 like he could at featherweight because he doesn't have the power and the punches coming back at him are way heavier.

I mean even at FW he has no power, but it's enough to beat them up over 5 rounds at least with a few exceptions like stopping Aldo

Back