In their primes: Khabib vs Hughes

It’s hard to comprehend how fucking stupid this opinion is. Khabib is a better grappler, better striker and a lot bigger than Hughes.

Go eat a bus on the nearest highway

Clearly you haven't seen Hughes in his prime. Khabib in the UFC has fought favorable match ups for him. He hasn't really fought a real strong elite WW wrestler. Khabib's not bigger, he's just taller and Matt still has all the physical advantage, reach, and strength at 170. If its at 155 it's a different story, but Khabib ain't gonna Khabib prime Matt Hughes there's no way.

Last edited:
The information as readily available, and has been presented is as follows..

Hughes was a dominant grappler who was a mediocre striker at best..
Khabib is a dominant grappler who is a mediocre striker at best..

Both are/were great at that they do.. But they play to the strengths.. Get that TD and smash your opponent.. If we went back to Hughes prime as WW Champ.. And Khabib was doing what he's doing right now at LW, and Khabib was jumping up to fight Hughes at WW.. The betting odds would be very close.. It would be a tough fight pick..

Your point relies on complete misinformation? Hughes was a much less dominant grappler than Khabib is and he’s a much, much, worse striker

Your point relies on complete misinformation? Hughes was a much less dominant grappler than Khabib is and he’s a much, much, worse striker
Khabib Do you expect him to look like a dominant grappler against a 26-year-old WW GSP? Do you have a bridge you are also trying to sell me?

UFC79-GSPXMattHughes-R2-2-TD-400-sg.gif

Good Luck..

He did get 1 on a young GSP.. And did it with grappling.. The striking has been addressed you are saying nothing.. Khabib has no history of beating up anyone with his strikes.. Like I said landing 1 punch on Conor when he is trying to defend a TD does NOT make Khabib a striker.. Hughes has hurt and finished fighters with strikes..

Last edited:
Clearly you haven't seen Hughes in his prime. Khabib in the UFC has fought favorable match ups for him. He hasn't really fought a real strong elite WW wrestler. Khabib's not bigger, he's just taller and Matt still has all the physical advantage, reach, and strength at 170. If its at 155 it's a different story, but Khabib ain't gonna Khab prime Matt Hughes there's no way.

Exactly.. And I am a fan of these guys, but Dustin, and Conor are NOT favorites against Hughes in his prime at 170.. Conor would have a better shot, but odds greatly favor Hughes..

You still haven't given a motivation as to why my opinion is so retarded. You think this hiding behind high school references (retard hur durr) strategy is working?

People can see though this shit. Hit me with some "knowledge" c'mon
tenor.gif

Khabib you seem to be under the impression that he has prime level GSP wrestling in that cage. Not even close. He’s not even half that level of athlete. Hughes matches up so well with this guy it’s ridiculous. Khabib Is cutting all that weight for a reason. Look at the welterweight division. He doesn’t want to fight those wrestlers.
The weight bully narrative has been proven to be a myth and just a BS way to attack Khabib. Tony literally posts pics where he’s 200+ lbs on the scale and nobody says shit about him needing to move up loool.

The weight bully narrative has been proven to be a myth and just a BS way to attack Khabib.

Right because nobody every mentioned this before about any other fighter in history.. :rolleyes:
GSP, Jones etc.. And a myth how?
Tony literally posts pics where he’s 200+ lbs on the scale and nobody says shit about him needing to move up loool.

When I hear how Khabib is so dominant with his grappling, it is proper to mention he never fights any grapplers.. And Hughes was a monster 170 grappler.. All fair points..

People forget how legit of a grappler Hughes was. Freakish natural strength at 170 and a good wrestling pedigree. Khabib hasn't fought anywhere near as good as that in MMA, and Hughes would have a strength/weight advantage. Also Hughes is inhumanely tough. I got Hughes. Everyone these days is so quick to say the current crop is better than guys just a few years before them. Prime Velasquez or Fedor would destroy the current crop of heavyweights, and Prime Anderson would light Adesanya up. Khabib relies on being able to maul whoever he is fighting, and actually looked ineffective against Tibau who was strong enough to stop it. Hughes is a step up in strength and wrestling ability from Tibau. He puts Khabib on his back and either holds him there or stops him.

Khabib Do you expect him to look like a dominant grappler against a 26-year-old WW GSP? Do you have a bridge you are also trying to sell me?

UFC79-GSPXMattHughes-R2-2-TD-400-sg.gif

Good Luck..

He did get 1 on a young GSP.. And did it with grappling.. The striking has been addressed you are saying nothing.. Khabib has no history of beating up anyone with his strikes.. Like I said landing 1 punch on Conor when he is trying to defend a TD does NOT make Khabib a striker.. Hughes has hurt and finished fighters with strikes..

GSP is much bigger than Hughes in the GIF. Khabib is about the same size or maybe a bit bigger than GSP.

The fight wouldn’t have been a contest between Khabib & Hughes.

Khabib would also have a very good shot at beating prime GSP.

GSP is much bigger than Hughes in the GIF. Khabib is about the same size or maybe a bit bigger than GSP.

Khabib is not bigger than GSP.

Khabib is not bigger than GSP.

GSP thinks he is. And Khabib walks around at a higher weight.

GSP wouldn’t be a big WW by today’s standards. There are also pictures of him with Khabib & McGregor, there’s not much in it size wise. Granted pictures can be deceiving, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

Last edited:
jesus don't people know any fighter of today is an all time great in comparison as the sport has evolved soooooooooooooo much.

GSP thinks he is. And Khabib walks around at a higher weight.

GSP wouldn’t be a big WW by today’s standards. There are also pictures of him with Khabib & McGregor, there’s not much in it size wise. Granted pictures can be deceiving, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

GSP is full of shit lol.

The guy was cut as fuck at WW.

Back