In their primes: Khabib vs Hughes

You have NOT shown that.. Have NOT even made the attempt..

And you have not shown anything either you keep posting the same 2 second GIF's that mean nothing.

You hype up Hughes and call me a rookie then go on to agree about Hughes winning his first 6 UFC fights, you didn't even know when he first fought in the UFC.

Do you honestly think Hughes is a better striker than Khabib? do you think he is a better MMA grappler than Khabib? if the answer is yes to both those questions then you're either stuck in the past or you hate Khabib so much it's blinding your judgment.

I'm not even denying Hughes was a beast he was, but he would be too slow and too one dimensional for the current level of MMA, this doesn't take away from his accomplishments he was a great WW for his time but MMA evolves, he'd still be a tough fight for a lot of people but he wouldn't be getting that WW belt against this current lot.

..........and Khabib beats him everywhere IMO.

That's not really an objective analysis at all.

Al:
wrestling: 8/10
striking: 7/10
subs: 2/10

Hughes:
wrestling: 9/10
striking: 2/10
subs: 7/10

Seeing as Khabib couldn't keep Al down I don't see Hughes getting a submission attempt off. So what's he going to do? He's completely outclassed in any striking match.

Are those scores from EA sports LOL? Jones is a 10/10... YAY!!

Educate me on how the one dimensional wrestler was going to beat a guy levels above him in grappling, light years ahead of him in striking and bigger than him.

It’s subjective... He would not rag doll Hughes in any shape or form though.

I've seen Hughes HURT people standing. Who has Khabib hurt standing? Like legitimately hurt leading to a finish standing?

Who cares? I've seen Hughes lose multiple rounds and lose fights, who did Hughes face that is anywhere near the striking level of Conor?

Khabib has faster hands than Hughes maybe Hughes has heavier hands, it doesn't matter, far better strikers haven't been able to touch Khabib, and now all of a sudden Hughes is going to KO him.

Khabib still out strikes him IMO.

I don't. I think the champ and #1 contender are basic carbon copies of Hughes. Dominant wrestlers with freakishly good cardio. All them have crappy stand up. FFS Maia was outboxing Colby for a round and a half until he gassed and we've never seen Usman in a prolonged striking engagement except against Colby. Hughes weighs roughly the same as Usman and they are both bigger than Colby and I still would vote for Hughes to have the best cardio out of the 3.

And without a doubt Hughes is better with his submissions then Usman and Colby.

Hughes would've went to the ground against Maia rather then use the strategy both Colby and Usman used just to prove a point.

I don't know man I think Colby and Usman beat prime Hughes. I don't see where he beats either of those guys tbh. He loses a striking battle against both of them IMO.

I think both Colby and Usman have better stand-up than Hughes.

Would be interesting though no doubt.

Who cares? I've seen Hughes lose multiple rounds and lose fights, who did Hughes face that is anywhere near the striking level of Conor?

Khabib has faster hands than Hughes maybe Hughes has heavier hands, it doesn't matter, far better strikers haven't been able to touch Khabib, and now all of a sudden Hughes is going to KO him.

Khabib still out strikes him IMO.
BJ Penn might possibly be the best pure boxer ever to get in the cage besides pure boxers that cross over.
Thiago Alves was a monster striker in his prime.
GSP came into the game a fantastic striker who picked up a jab.

3 strikers Hughes faced that I'd say are on Conor's level.

BJ Penn might possibly be the best pure boxer ever to get in the cage besides pure boxers that cross over.
Thiago Alves was a monster striker in his prime.
GSP came into the game a fantastic striker who picked up a jab.

3 strikers Hughes faced that I'd say are on Conor's level.

They're good strikers no doubt but I still think Conor is the better pure striker of the three you posted. BJ's boxing was really good though and GSP put on a jab clinic in a lot of his fights, but if we're talking pure boxing I think Conor beats them all and I really don't like that guy very much.

I don't think Alves was on BJ's or GSP's level though.

They're good strikers no doubt but I still think Conor is the better pure striker of the three you posted. BJ's boxing was really good though and GSP put on a jab clinic in a lot of his fights, but if we're talking pure boxing I think Conor beats them all and I really don't like that guy very much.

I don't think Alves was on BJ's or GSP's level though.
Keep in mind GSP wanted nothing to do with Alves standing. Alves standing was phenomenal. He was basically a MT fighter competing in mma. It was his lack of grappling, diuretics/PED use and being heavily muscled was his set backs.

He had power in his hands, could impale you with his knees and could kick anyone's head off.

Keep in mind GSP wanted nothing to do with Alves standing. Alves standing was phenomenal. He was basically a MT fighter competing in mma. It was his lack of grappling, diuretics/PED use and being heavily muscled was his set backs.

He had power in his hands, could impale you with his knees and could kick anyone's head off.

I don't know man I would have to give that fight a re-watch to get the full scope. I do know that Alves had some brutal leg kicks but I also remember GSP hitting him with some leg kicks and making Alves stumble, also didn't GSP drop Alves with a punch?

High fight IQ, it's against the rules.

Probhibited moves in unified rules of MMA:
- Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck
Not sure if serious or not... sorry i have a low sarcasm iq

I don't know man I would have to give that fight a re-watch to get the full scope. I do know that Alves had some brutal leg kicks but I also remember GSP hitting him with some leg kicks and making Alves stumble, also didn't GSP drop Alves with a punch?
I pretty sure he did but iirc it was because Alves was thinking GSP was going to shoot a TD, dropped his hands to defend the TD and GSP land a straight that dropped him.

When people say Sherdog is retarded they’re talking about the people that think Hughes would beat Khabib
The very same Sherdog you are apart of? You feel ashamed of your family big dog?

Sherdog is the shit lmao. Go to reddit to get some friends fruit boy.

As for my previous reply to you. Are you gonna explain or did you just hit the eject button outta this thread?

I pretty sure he did but iirc it was because Alves was thinking GSP was going to shoot a TD, dropped his hands to defend the TD and GSP land a straight that dropped him.

GSP was very good at mixing it up and I remember him taking Alves down a lot but Alves popped back up a bunch too.

I'm going to go and re-watch that fight.

GSP was very good at mixing it up and I remember him taking Alves down a lot but Alves popped back up a bunch too.

I'm going to go and re-watch that fight.
That was his issue. He never learned how to fight on the ground (which is surprising because his camp is ATT). He had great TDD and unless you were GSP or Jon Fitch you weren't holding prime Alves down. IIRC he was dominating Spencer Fisher before getting caught in that triangle.

We as fans were robbed of prime Alves vs prime Nightmare Sanchez. That, Aldo vs Pettis and Jones vs Rumble were 3 fights I wish we got to see. Honorable mention DC vs Evans.

And you have not shown anything either you keep posting the same 2 second GIF's that mean nothing.
And can't show me anything of merit to show me I am wrong.. Just keep saying that

"Khabib is better because reasons"

You hype up Hughes and call me a rookie then go on to agree about Hughes winning his first 6 UFC fights, you didn't even know when he first fought in the UFC.

What?
I said this..
Hughes before losing to GSP was 41-4 in his career.. WW Champ twice.. The best WW ever before GSP took it from him. He won 9 title fights would have been 10 had Riggs made weight..

Khabib has won 3 title fights..

You just confused me with another poster..

Do you honestly think Hughes is a better striker than Khabib? do you think he is a better MMA grappler than Khabib? if the answer is yes to both those questions then you're either stuck in the past or you hate Khabib so much it's blinding your judgment.

I think the striking is about even.. As shown in this thread.. Although Matt has better striking highlights such as they are.. Not saying much for either. Grappling Hughes lets look at the numbers shall we?

In his career he submitted 14 fighters, KO or TKO'd 21 and got 10 decisions.. That includes submitting a young GSP.. Yeah GSP.. He also TKO'd BJ pinning him with a crucifix position. BJ is a fairly good grappler man.. BJJ World Champ..

ufc63-7.jpg

I'm not even denying Hughes was a beast he was, but he would be too slow and too one dimensional for the current level of MMA, this doesn't take away from his accomplishments he was a great WW for his time but MMA evolves, he'd still be a tough fight for a lot of people but he wouldn't be getting that WW belt against this current lot.

..........and Khabib beats him everywhere IMO.

The evolve argument is flawed.. Is LW better today than it was 10 years ago? Or 6 years ago? Edgar, Benson, Diaz, Pettiis, Cowboy, Penn in their primes or close to it. Compared to Conor, Justin, Dustin and Tony. That's a debate.. The game has NOT evolved in all divisions. LHW is far worse today than it was at the start of Jones prime for example..

So Khabib has NOT..

He also hasn’t caught anyone in a flying scissor heel hook, but I don’t hear anyone saying Ryo Chonan is a better fighter... I wish you had just a small idea how how ridiculous your logic is.

It’s subjective... He would not rag doll Hughes in any shape or form though.

It’s really not subjective. Hughes is weaker in every facet of the sport and a lot smaller, despite fighting a division up.

He also hasn’t caught anyone in a flying scissor heel hook, but I don’t hear anyone saying Ryo Chonan is a better fighter... I wish you had just a small idea how how ridiculous your logic is.

Amazing you take the weakest aspect of Khabib's game, and die on that hill with words like

"Ridiculous" when defending your position.. He's not a good striker man.. That's common knowledge. He was running backwards from Dustin waiting for any chance to get it down..

The very same Sherdog you are apart of? You feel ashamed of your family big dog?

Sherdog is the shit lmao. Go to reddit to get some friends fruit boy.

As for my previous reply to you. Are you gonna explain or did you just hit the eject button outta this thread?

I clearly specified the retarded part... The retarded group also have issues with reading and comprehension

People had a good idea you were a silly mutt when you said Hughes would beat Khabib, but you’ve really managed to put it beyond doubt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back