In your opinion, who are the most UNDERACHIEVING fighters in UFC/MMA?

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
A while back I made a thread about overachievers. This one is the flipside. What are some guys that you personally feel had a lot of potential but just couldn't put it all together. Guys you might still believe should have accomplished more.

Off the top of my head Melvin Guillard has to be up there. It seemed like he was hitting a stride for a small moment but he was just a head case it seems. Just big, stong, and fast with no brain smh.

Melvin Guillard hasn't fought in the UFC in five years. For that matter, he hasn't even won a fight in five years. Guys like him and Penn are yesterday's legends of underachieving. Who is the new guard?

Erick Silva. He has time though. A young stud with star potential.

Kevin Lee, Aaron pico, Uriah hall? Those guys seems like they should be doing better. Although Kevin Lee has done pretty Good.

Todd Duffee and Nikita Krylov come to mind after last weekend.

Melvin Guillard hasn't fought in the UFC in five years. For that matter, he hasn't even won a fight in five years. Guys like him and Penn are yesterday's legends of underachieving. Who is the new guard?

Did you really just compare Melvin Guillard to BJ Penn?

<LikeReally5>

This is a fun topic, guys who had the skills but didn't quite make it... rumble comes to mind. He did well but it felt like with adjustments he could have been a champ.

Conor actually

What if he actually did cardio and trained at a real gym instead of McDojo O'Houlihan

Im serious

Did you really just compare Melvin Guillard to BJ Penn?

<LikeReally5>

No, I did not. I categorized them similarly as underachieving fighters, but never directly compared them. Obviously Penn achieved much more than Guillard, and at his best was one of the greats. But he left a lot on the table in terms of achieving his full potential. Anything else I can help you with?

Conor actually

What if he actually did cardio and trained at a real gym instead of McDojo O'Houlihan

Im serious

Conor MacGregor was a great fighter but with no discipline and no heart. He could have been a lot more than he was imo.

Korean Superboy
Kevin Lee
Uriah Hall
Stefan Struve
Travis Browne
Edson Barboza (though he's had the worst schedule of anyone)
Lando Vannata (still my boy, though)
Demian Maia
Yoel Romero

In some ways Luke Rockhold, but he's quite decorated, so maybe doesn't qualify.

hard to call a two division champ and one of the greatest lightweights of all time underachieving, but I feel BJ Penn could have been the greatest of all time with more dedication and training

Back